Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 10:46 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,494,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Officers don't clock every car that goes by. They can tell visually if the car is speeding(if you've been doing that for a while you can tell just by looking within ~3mph how fast a car is travelling), then will press the gun. If they clock someone ahead of you who is speeding then they will go after him so the radar detector is again useless.

With an instant on gun....you have to be in field of vision of officer before radar detector will go off. Radar used to be constantly on over a decade ago so you could actually detect it. Their a scam now. They switched their radar guns to all instant-on BECAUSE of radar detectors.

Mehhh.. not so much.. those hardcore to drum up some numbers maybe... but I work with plenty of LEO/state troopers that drive around with their radar on all the time and the display flashing numbers at them constantly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 12:01 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,395,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Mehhh.. not so much.. those hardcore to drum up some numbers maybe... but I work with plenty of LEO/state troopers that drive around with their radar on all the time and the display flashing numbers at them constantly.
When their sitting in the median with a radar "GUN". It's NOT on, until he pulls the trigger.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
When their sitting in the median with a radar "GUN". It's NOT on, until he pulls the trigger.
Mehh again.. I know plenty that sit in the median while doing paperwork, phone calls etc. with it on all the time and set to a specific alert number. Theres NO absolute. Theres also very few radar "guns" being used by state troopers or other LEO in Ct. Most are remotely mounted and can be activated a number of ways or left on/scanning. Most "guns" are found at race tracks these days in Ct.

As they do know plenty use radar detectors, they also know theres plenty without that are oblivious to their own speed.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:54 PM

9,753 posts, read 7,460,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpfiction View Post
Had the pleasure of receiving a ticket on Route 2 east this morning...77 in a 65. I had been sitting in the right lane (where you're SUPPOSED to stay) doing a very safe 73 or so when I came down the long hill in Marlborough around exit 17....speed went up to 77 and next thing you know I'm pulled over.

The troopers are supposed to patrol the highways for one reason: SAFETY. I was not driving unsafely in the slightest--I practically had the entire road to myself, weather conditions were good, and I wasn't zig-zagging between lanes like most people here do. Most importantly in terms of safey, I kept right the entire time.

Yet now I'm stuck with a $200 ticket (which WILL be contested...) yet the troopers completely ignore the OBLIVIOUS drivers who camp out in the left lane and thereby obstruct the flow of traffic, cause road-rage, and decrease safety on the road. Where's the logic behind that? Oh, I forgot..it really isn't about safety at all....it's all about revenue and meeting quotas.
Funny you should mention that. I was stuck behind someone on 84 yesterday going 60 in the left lane......in a 65 zone. After a while when people consistently pass you to the right, shouldn't you head on over to the right??

Old 12-04-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Mehh again.. I know plenty that sit in the median while doing paperwork, phone calls etc. with it on all the time and set to a specific alert number. Theres NO absolute. Theres also very few radar "guns" being used by state troopers or other LEO in Ct. Most are remotely mounted and can be activated a number of ways or left on/scanning. Most "guns" are found at race tracks these days in Ct.

As they do know plenty use radar detectors, they also know theres plenty without that are oblivious to their own speed.
I've seen numerous radar guns being used by state police in ct. Seen them with it sticking out the window or in some case their even out of their car.

Yes they sit in the median when their not actively doing speed enforcement.(ie using their radar gun)

Old 12-04-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
I've seen numerous radar guns being used by state police in ct. Seen them with it sticking out the window or in some case their even out of their car.

Yes they sit in the median when their not actively doing speed enforcement.(ie using their radar gun)

Those are most likely the rookies that get the old crappy lidar/laser guns. Just like rookies usualy get the oldest, most POS cruisers. Like so many of the CVs that have had their shock mounts rot out and patched multiple times. Not many of those left. Lidar has gotten "better" and is easier to use now and has the same remote setups as traditional radar. If someone is using a lidar gun you bet theyre gonna hand out tickets. Its the only way to be allowed move up to the more user friendly equipment that allows for keeping the windows up during the cold winter months.. lol..

Bottom line, radar detectors can and do work in Ct and other places. Not everytime, but nothing is 100%. Although a Valentine One is pretty close no matter whats being used.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:22 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,419,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpfiction View Post
Had the pleasure of receiving a ticket on Route 2 east this morning...77 in a 65. I had been sitting in the right lane (where you're SUPPOSED to stay) doing a very safe 73 or so when I came down the long hill in Marlborough around exit 17....speed went up to 77 and next thing you know I'm pulled over.

The troopers are supposed to patrol the highways for one reason: SAFETY. I was not driving unsafely in the slightest--I practically had the entire road to myself, weather conditions were good, and I wasn't zig-zagging between lanes like most people here do. Most importantly in terms of safey, I kept right the entire time.

Yet now I'm stuck with a $200 ticket (which WILL be contested...) yet the troopers completely ignore the OBLIVIOUS drivers who camp out in the left lane and thereby obstruct the flow of traffic, cause road-rage, and decrease safety on the road. Where's the logic behind that? Oh, I forgot..it really isn't about safety at all....it's all about revenue and meeting quotas.
I'm not sure that it's not about money and safety is the excuse.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:21 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Those are most likely the rookies that get the old crappy lidar/laser guns. Just like rookies usualy get the oldest, most POS cruisers. Like so many of the CVs that have had their shock mounts rot out and patched multiple times. Not many of those left. Lidar has gotten "better" and is easier to use now and has the same remote setups as traditional radar. If someone is using a lidar gun you bet theyre gonna hand out tickets. Its the only way to be allowed move up to the more user friendly equipment that allows for keeping the windows up during the cold winter months.. lol..

Bottom line, radar detectors can and do work in Ct and other places. Not everytime, but nothing is 100%. Although a Valentine One is pretty close no matter whats being used.

A Valentine used in conjunction with a CB radio is a dynamite combination.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:

Good luck with that.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:47 PM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
I love that someone, who admitted they were speeding and receives an infraction on a clearly marked highway, will blame the individual who gave them the infraction.

How about, don't speed, or accept that you will be held accountable for your actions. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut