Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2019, 12:42 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephy0519 View Post
Hmmm...that's concerning thus far. Usually malls with Bloominngdales also get some higher end stand alones like Ted Baker, Rag N Bone...etc. This just looks like a lower end mall with two great flag ships attached, so far.
That’s what I thought too. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 08:12 AM

166 posts, read 175,731 times
Quote:
Hmmm...that's concerning thus far. Usually malls with Bloominngdales also get some higher end stand alones like Ted Baker, Rag N Bone...etc. This just looks like a lower end mall with two great flag ships attached, so far.

I kind of agree. It sounds vastly different from what they originally described a year or so ago.

Old 07-13-2019, 11:34 AM

215 posts, read 148,248 times
Quote:
I know it was just an example, but I don't think Rag N Bone typically has mall locations. They have a store in Greenwich, are sold at at least 1 more location in Greenwich, as well as in 1 location in Westport. They have good reason not to open a mall location in South Norwalk.

Ted Baker is one of the vendors Bloomingdales sells. Having both a bloomingdales AND a stand alone Ted Baker store in the same mall is probably only done in very large Malls, or ones with a huge amount of foot traffic.

I think the store selection so far for the mall makes a lot of sense. They aren't trying to compete with Greenwich or Westport, but with Trumbull and Stamford. The people who will shop at the SONO mall currently have to travel in traffic to either of those 2 places, so this will be a significant time savings for their shopping.

Old 07-13-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000fc View Post
I know it was just an example, but I don't think Rag N Bone typically has mall locations. They have a store in Greenwich, are sold at at least 1 more location in Greenwich, as well as in 1 location in Westport. They have good reason not to open a mall location in South Norwalk.

Ted Baker is one of the vendors Bloomingdales sells. Having both a bloomingdales AND a stand alone Ted Baker store in the same mall is probably only done in very large Malls, or ones with a huge amount of foot traffic.

I think the store selection so far for the mall makes a lot of sense. They aren't trying to compete with Greenwich or Westport, but with Trumbull and Stamford. The people who will shop at the SONO mall currently have to travel in traffic to either of those 2 places, so this will be a significant time savings for their shopping.
Actually if you read the testimony the developers gave back when it was going through approvals, they were targeting Fairfield County shoppers going to malls in Westchester and into Manhattan to shop. They were supposed to be more upscale than Stamford or Trumbull. There is an upscale mall in California that has been mentioned here. Jay

Old 07-14-2019, 07:33 AM

222 posts, read 348,531 times
Interesting store lineup. It kind of looks similar to Stamford Mall store roster. I will be interested to see what other eateries and entertainment they will put in there.

Looks like they are really gonna try and knock out Stamford Mall. Stamford Mall owners really need to make HUGE changes in that mall, went in there yesterday and so many empty storefronts....

Old 07-15-2019, 08:43 AM

830 posts, read 1,093,502 times
Really concerning going more low-end. I would expect similar stores to the Westchester rather than some of these additions. But good news for Greenwich, Darien, New Canaan, Westport etc.

Old 07-16-2019, 09:47 AM

1,440 posts, read 1,239,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000fc View Post

Agree to disagree. I've been to many, many different malls all over the country and I've said numerous times in the past that I think this one is matching up to Century City Westfield, in LA. Which has a Bloomies, a Nordies, and a Macy's...and a Ted Baker, Vineyard Vines...etc.

Rag and Bone absolutely has mall location, it's one of my husband's fave clothing brands (along with Ted Baker and Theory...another stand alone I was sort of expecting.)

I used to live right there and I traveled to Greenwich, Westchester, and the city to shop or did it online. This mall has taken FOREVER...but it initially was intended to be the high end mall, for the area.

Old 07-16-2019, 09:48 AM

1,440 posts, read 1,239,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut203 View Post
Interesting store lineup. It kind of looks similar to Stamford Mall store roster. I will be interested to see what other eateries and entertainment they will put in there.

Looks like they are really gonna try and knock out Stamford Mall. Stamford Mall owners really need to make HUGE changes in that mall, went in there yesterday and so many empty storefronts....
This. That mall is terrible.

Old 07-16-2019, 04:02 PM

10,068 posts, read 14,444,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Here is a link to the announcement. They include Apple, H&M, Victoria’s Secret, Bath and Body Works, Abercrombie and Fitch, Abercrombie Kids, Hollister, Talbots, White House Black Market, Chico’s, Altar’d State, Lush, Kay Jewelers, Pandora, EQ3 furniture, A Tutti Nails and Spa Salon and L’Occitane.

These are in addition to the previously announced J. Jill, Sephora, Soma, Zara, Made in China, Yardhouse and Pinstripes. Most of these are typical mall stores and a bit disappointing. I was hoping for some interesting and upscale places you find in New York but I guess you can't have only that. Jay

https://www.ctinsider.com/news/theho...457.1562848642
Interesting roster of stores for sure. I too, thought mostly upscale would've been the go-to's here.

Abercrombie & Fitch, Talbots, Chico's, White House Black Market, and several of the others are struggling retailers. As we all know, e-commerce has destroyed brick and mortar retail, sadly, and continues to do so.

This entire mall concept for Norwalk seems very late to the party and dated, in general. I think the Bloomingdale's will succeed and the restaurants/bars. However, the infill/mall stores may struggle and eventually leave vacant spots throughout this center.

This is happening in all cities/towns in developments "newer" and "older" across the US, thanks to most cities habit of over-building of box stores, and consumers' growing habits of shopping from the couch.

Old 07-16-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
I've mentioned this before, but I think it is going to be similar to the Westfield Century City. While this mall has some open air areas (it IS SoCal!,) you cannot enter the mall (OR restaurants) from outside, on the street. You have to park in the garage or enter a main mall entrance. So, take out the top floor being open to the sky....and I'm pretty sure this is what the Norwalk Mall will be like:

https://www.westfield.com/centurycity
I remembered this post where Stephy mentioned The SoNo Collection sounded like it was going to be similar to the upscale Westfield Century City in California so I thought I would check to see what stores they had. Surprisingly many of the stores there are more middle of the road and a few of the SoNo stores also are in Century City. I also looked at the stores at The Westchester in White Plains and even more stores appear to be the same. Maybe SoNo Collection will be similar after all. Jay

https://www.westfield.com/centurycity/stores/all-stores

https://www.simon.com/mall/the-westchester/stores
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut