Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2018, 09:03 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,186,951 times

Advertisements

It will hurt Trumbull, which is why they are now looking at apts. Keep in mind online ordering is climbing each yr. Bricks and mortar is down. So you cant afford to lose anything. Shopping malls are also a social experience, an escape from the weather etc...
Like anything new and fancy it will steal customers from older malls. Yes Sono will be more upscale, but still people who live closest to Trumbull, Milford go there due to convience. Im sure they wish they had a Nordstoms there....but you make do. This will hurt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 10:47 PM

4,460 posts, read 3,354,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
It will hurt Trumbull, which is why they are now looking at apts. Keep in mind online ordering is climbing each yr. Bricks and mortar is down. So you cant afford to lose anything. Shopping malls are also a social experience, an escape from the weather etc...
Like anything new and fancy it will steal customers from older malls. Yes Sono will be more upscale, but still people who live closest to Trumbull, Milford go there due to convience. Im sure they wish they had a Nordstoms there....but you make do. This will hurt
Frankly the Norwalk area incomes are drastically different from my area. Most people in my area can't afford to shop in places like Lord and Taylor and Nordstroms. I am sure if my Trumbull Mall stays the course and keeps catering to the middle class it will be OK. My JC Penny and Target are VERY busy. Way more busier than the Lord and Taylor which seems to be almost empty when I go in there compared to Penny's and Target. Here is what is amazing. Trumbull has TWO Target's that are both always busy. It's crazy but it is that catering to the middle class here that keeps the stores busy.

And we are getting a nice big Ulta Beauty. Ulta Beauty is more for the middle class as opposed to the higher end Sephora.

Norwalk HH Income.......$88,00
Darien HH Income.........$200,000+
Wilton HH Income.........$195,000
Westport HH Income......$173,000

Trumbull HH Income.......$117,00
Bridgeport HH Income....$42,000
Shelton HH Income.........$90,754
Fairfield HH Income........$115,348
Easton HH Income.........$173,421 (They will probably go to the Norwalk Mall a lot)

The two areas (greater Norwalk and Trumbull areas) are so drastically different in incomes (and what people can afford) it's not even like comparing apples to oranges. It's like comparing apples to a bear.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:59 PM

I respectfully believe you are overthinking it.
The human condition wins over logic. Most people are in too much debt. I see the same nice cars (Range Rovers, Mercedes, etc) in Bridgeport as i do in Greenwich.
People always want something better. Also as stated earlier, many just go for the social experience. Walk around, escape the cold, heat....lets have lunch, check out the Apple store.... oh look im bringing a bag or 2 home i wasn't even planning on.

So if your going to do that, where will you go? The old one, or the new one?
This will also hurt the DT's of Westport, Greenwich, Etc....some too. Theres always winners and losers. Its never different

Old 06-28-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:
I see the same nice cars (Range Rovers, Mercedes, etc) in Bridgeport as i do in Greenwich.
Yeah, your right lol.

Greenwich Income: $136,859
Bridgeport Income: $42,113

The people in Bridgeport can barely scrape enough money together to pay rent/food/utilities let alone drive or take the bus to my mall.

Whatever you are taking/smoking to see all the Range Rovers, Mercedes in Bridgeport please let me know so I can see some fun stuff too. (BTW, the high end cars you are seeing probably belong to the people in who work in Bridgeport but do't live there)

Quote:
The human condition wins over logic.
The pocketbook (or lack of disposable income) wins and dictates where people shop. Do you think people who are struggling to pay rent/food/utilities are going to be shopping at high end stores and eating at high end restaurants? NO WAY. I am going to tell you how I know.

I am a woman. My household income is very close to the median income or FFC and my house price is almost dead on price for Fairfield County. I am the average in Fairfield County. 15+ years ago I used to buy most of my clothes in Lord & Taylor. My husband too. Not any more. Now the only thing I buy on a consistent basis in Lord & Taylor is my Clinique makeup. I buy most of my clothes in Target/Pennys/Macys. My husband and I can't afford to go out and eat in fancy restaurants all the time (which I am sure will be at the new Norwalk Mall). We usually go out to a hamburger or pizza place for a treat. When we go out to eat/shop outside of Trumbull we head to Milford where it is cheaper.

My friend and I were in Norwalk on a little business. I said "I will treat you to lunch". We went to Donovan's in South Norwalk. It was very expensive. I can't afford to do that on a regular basis anymore. I can't even afford to pay high prices to eat once in a blue moon anymore.

The Mall we are in competition with in Trumbull is the Milford Mall and all it's shopping/restaurants on the Post Road.

Old 06-28-2018, 08:52 AM

These 2 malls depend on much more than Greenwich and Bridgeport. Its easy to cherry pick.
You present yourself as being very responsible with your money. That however doesnt describe everyone.

So to cherry pick from your previous post, you imply Fairfield belongs to the Trumbull mall, and cant afford to visit the new Sono mall. Thats silly.

Im not going to quote numbers because this like most things is about shades of grey. Im not predicting Trumbull is going to close a year after Sono opens. Im saying malls which are already struggling, can't afford to lose even a few points which they will.
I also was a tenant in most every mall in Ct. No longer cause the best days are over in that sector.
Keep in mind the rents are priced to perfection. Which is a nice way of saying exhorbitant

Old 06-28-2018, 09:00 AM

21,770 posts, read 28,108,607 times
Quote:
I see the same nice cars (Range Rovers, Mercedes, etc) in Bridgeport as i do in Greenwich.
No way, no how. Maybe you’ve seen a 10+ year old Range Rover in Bridgeport but the class of cars you’ll see in either town is not. Even. Close.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:43 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
Quote:
These 2 malls depend on much more than Greenwich and Bridgeport. Its easy to cherry pick.
You present yourself as being very responsible with your money. That however doesnt describe everyone.

So to cherry pick from your previous post, you imply Fairfield belongs to the Trumbull mall, and cant afford to visit the new Sono mall. Thats silly.

Im not going to quote numbers because this like most things is about shades of grey. Im not predicting Trumbull is going to close a year after Sono opens. Im saying malls which are already struggling, can't afford to lose even a few points which they will.
I also was a tenant in most every mall in Ct. No longer cause the best days are over in that sector.
Keep in mind the rents are priced to perfection. Which is a nice way of saying exhorbitant
You do not seem to fully understand the retail business. It is very complex and more involved than you think. The Sono Collection will not cater to the same clientele that Stamford, Trumbull, Danbury and Milford cater to.

As CTArtist noted those malls cater to the middle class while this mall will cater more to the upper middle class and upper class which currently have very limited shopping options in Fairfield County. Most of these people currently shop in Westchester or Manhattan and the Sono Collection is looking to tap into that market.

Nordstrom is particularly savvy at this. They know that the market is there (they keep very close track of where their shoppers live) and that the new store will be successful otherwise they would not be investing in it. The same goes for investors paying to construct the center. They know that most brick and mortar stores are shrinking their footprints but upscale shopping is holding its own and expanding. It is all about experience and service rather than price. That said, you may see the Lord & Taylor in Trumbull and Stamford impacted but not likely any of the other stores there. Jay

Old 06-28-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:

I never implied that Fairfield "belongs" to the Trumbull Mall. I was just illustrating the drastic difference in incomes in the towns surrounding Trumbull and Norwalk, the two malls we are talking about. Fairfield happens to share a little border with Trumbull.

Quote:

When I talk about myself I lay it all on the line. I already said I make about the average FFC income of $90,000. I live in and average Trumbull home of about $400,000 which is also the average in FFC.

We know nothing about you. Where are you coming from? Where do you live? Income? House value? I can already guess you probably have some wealth as you are saying that you were a tenant in almost every mall in CT.

I don't think you can understand that the average person like me can not go shopping at high end stores and eat in high end restaurants anymore like the new Norwalk Mall. I'm laying it on the line and telling you I can't afford it.

Here is where I will be going more. I just found out that the Milford Mall will be getting a Boscov's which is kind of like in between Macy's and Penny's. They have good quality clothes at moderate prices. I will be going to Milford Mall even more in the future not the new Norwalk Mall.

You are correct in that all malls are taking a hit. You know where I think the new mall in Norwalk will hurt more than my mall....Westport shopping in and around Main Street.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:48 AM

830 posts, read 1,094,390 times
Quote:
The human condition wins over logic. Most people are in too much debt. I see the same nice cars (Range Rovers, Mercedes, etc) in Bridgeport as i do in Greenwich.
People always want something better. Also as stated earlier, many just go for the social experience. Walk around, escape the cold, heat....lets have lunch, check out the Apple store.... oh look im bringing a bag or 2 home i wasn't even planning on.

So if your going to do that, where will you go? The old one, or the new one?
This will also hurt the DT's of Westport, Greenwich, Etc....some too. Theres always winners and losers. Its never different
The downtown Darien revelopment project just submitted a revised scaled-down proposal, specifically siting the SONO mall as one of the reasons for the changes.

https://www.darientimes.com/2018/06/...orbin-project/

Old 06-28-2018, 11:45 AM

StepfordCT,

The other thing to bear in mind is that the property where the apartments at the Trumbull Mall will go is not on the existing land the Trumbull Mall sits on. The previous mall owners bought out about two streets of houses and land near the mall. The Mall owners are proposing the apartments go on the land that has been sitting vacant for over 10 years (I think it has been about 10 years). Walburn Street and Stuart Place right adjacent to the Trumbull mall are gated off. That is where the new apartments will go....not take existing space at the mall.

I see our planning and zoning people talking on our Trumbull FB pages. Not only are apartments proposed for near the mall new apartments are approved for the end of Oakview Drive off Old Town not far from Sacred Heart University. More apartments are also proposed for Reservoir Ave. off Old Town not far from SHU too. Then the apartments at/near the mall will essentially off Old Town too. They will all be a straight shot down Old Town to Sacred Heart University. The planning and zoning people are talking about attracting younger adults to the town and not just "saving the Trumbull Mall".

All of the people living in the 3 new approved/proposed apartment complexes will be within walking distance or a short bus ride to the mall which will certainly help it. Right now there are lots of young kids in college coming into our mall as Sacred Heart University grows and I love it. I love to see all the young kids in our Trumbull Mall now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut