Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 04:40 PM

19 posts, read 14,886 times

Advertisements

My son will be graduating college and will be starting job. His location just changed to Hartford. We are not familiar at all. Of course he is young and would like a lively area, but I want a safe building. Rent around $1100 - $1200. Is this possible. I don't even know where to begin. He was just told today and he starts in June. He could have a car if needed
Thanks in advance
Patti
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 04:49 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,983,091 times
He will need a car. He could rent in downtown Hartford where lots of new apartments that are marketed toward young professionals just came on the market. West Hartford is also an option.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:00 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,323,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bskmom View Post
My son will be graduating college and will be starting job. His location just changed to Hartford. We are not familiar at all. Of course he is young and would like a lively area, but I want a safe building. Rent around $1100 - $1200. Is this possible. I don't even know where to begin. He was just told today and he starts in June. He could have a car if needed
Thanks in advance
Patti
Hi Patti,

Which part of Hartford? The areas of Hartford I'd avoid if he wants a safe environment is either in the North End and some parts of the South End. The North End is somewhere I'd avoid if he wants a safe and lively area. If he's heading into downtown then I'd look in some of the apartments in many of the downtown skyscrapers. Hartford 21's rent is a little higher. It ranges from 1,200 or so to upwards of 2,000 for rent. It has a gym, small grocery store, and it's located in by on ramps to Interstate 91 and Interstate 84. Also look into 777 Main Street (old bank of America building). I say this because its now being converted into 285 apartments and it's a new facility. It's not too far from anything if he's in downtown. It's in the heart of downtown. It's a little higher then your expected rent costs. These options are one but multiple places in the downtown area that offer great apartments. If you're looking away from downtown and want something closer to West Hartford, look at the west end. Clemens Place Apartments offer from roughly 800-1300 a month. Most good and safe apartments in Hartford range from 1200-2500.

Last thing, does he have to live in Hartford or does he work/go to school in Hartford?. I say this because there are many apartment options in the suburbs. Manchester, West Hartford, Newington, and South Windsor have tons of safe apartment complexes that would fit for your son. If he wishes to drive then areas east of the river have less traffic. Interstate 84 west of Hartford is a nightmare during Rush hour. If the cars an issue theres CT Fastrak which is a fast and reliable service busway that goes from New Britain right into the heart of downtown Hartford.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:36 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,405,426 times
Quote:
Thanks in advance
Patti
He needs a car. Hartford is a ghetto. Only descent .and very expensive with doorman, are apartments in downtown core which is basically a ghost town outside of 9-5 and just a bunch of insurance buildings. Hartford is not a liveable city.

Check out west hartford if he needs to be super close to hartford. West hartford is more of a walkable city with more things to do/shopping ect than hartford anyway. And it's super safe. 1200 would be tight for an apartment.
Check out suburban towns/small cities that are very close by. Rocky hill, manchester. There's a bunch of them. They don't have that small walkable city feel like west hartford though. More suburbia,but nice and safe.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:44 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,323,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
He needs a car. Hartford is a ghetto. Only descent(and very expensive with doorman ect) apartments are in downtown core which is basically a ghost town outside of 9-5 and just a bunch of insurance buildings. Hartford is not a liveable city.

Check out west hartford if he needs to be super close to hartford. West hartford is more of a walkable city with more things to do/shopping ect than hartford anyway. And it's super safe. 1200 would be tight for an apartment.
Check out suburban towns/small cities that are very close by. Rocky hill, manchester. There's a bunch of them. They don't have that small walkable city feel like west hartford though. More suburbia,but nice and safe.
That's not right. I've lived in Hartford for many years and it's no where near close to your definition. Hartford is not a ghetto. That's a stereotype from suburban folks. The only "ghettos" are in parts of the north end. Hartford is a major city and all major cities have issues. It's not Hartfords fault. Also, it is a liveable city. I love it here. It's not that bad as people say it is. You're making it sound worse than it is. I wouldn't say West Hartford is super safe. It has its edges. It's safer than Hartford though but Hartford certainly isn't a ghetto that you're preserving it to be.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:09 PM

Default Thank you all very much

This all happened so quickly. He was supposed to start in Philly area but now they want him starting in Hartford. He will be working for Aetna which I think is right off 84. We are in NJ so my husband and I will take a ride up there hopefully next weekend. My son is still in college at Penn State so he won't be able to go look so he will have to trust my judgement lol. I thank you all for your replies. It gives me a starting point in my internet research.
Thanks again as I can't believe I got so many responses so quickly. It is greatly appreciated!
patti

Old 04-22-2015, 10:48 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,455,290 times
Quote:
This all happened so quickly. He was supposed to start in Philly area but now they want him starting in Hartford. He will be working for Aetna which I think is right off 84. We are in NJ so my husband and I will take a ride up there hopefully next weekend. My son is still in college at Penn State so he won't be able to go look so he will have to trust my judgement lol. I thank you all for your replies. It gives me a starting point in my internet research.
Thanks again as I can't believe I got so many responses so quickly. It is greatly appreciated!
patti

My husband and I just rented an apartment in Middletown.... Middletown is a city about 15-20 mins south of Hartford. They also do have a commuter bus as well from there, which my husband actually takes. He works for the state of CT - right across from Aenta. There are a lot of apartments by the Middletown/Cromwell border. Middletown's downtown is a nice area. Nice of local places there.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:22 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,958,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
That's not right. I've lived in Hartford for many years and it's no where near close to your definition. Hartford is not a ghetto. That's a stereotype from suburban folks. The only "ghettos" are in parts of the north end. Hartford is a major city and all major cities have issues. It's not Hartfords fault. Also, it is a liveable city. I love it here. It's not that bad as people say it is. You're making it sound worse than it is. I wouldn't say West Hartford is super safe. It has its edges. It's safer than Hartford though but Hartford certainly isn't a ghetto that you're preserving it to be.
I agree it's not all ghetto, but the only neighborhood I would recommend living in is the West End. And if you're in the West End, you might as well look across the border into West Hartford. WH has much less crime, lower taxes (you pay property taxes on your car in CT) and lower car insurance rates.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:49 AM

Default Question

Do you think more young people live in West Hartford or in the outlying communities? Or is it about the same. He will be by himself not knowing anyone. It would be nice to find him an area where there are things to do and possibly meet other people. I like the idea of having a walkable area. And again thanks for all the replies.
Patti

Old 04-23-2015, 07:35 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,958,447 times
Quote:
Do you think more young people live in West Hartford or in the outlying communities? Or is it about the same. He will be by himself not knowing anyone. It would be nice to find him an area where there are things to do and possibly meet other people. I like the idea of having a walkable area. And again thanks for all the replies.
Patti
West Hartford for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut