Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2015, 11:45 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,836,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
I'm afraid you don't get it. Big corporations for the most part attract the talent and still are where the pay and benefits are. NYC isn't home to more billionaires than any other global city because of small business. Top graduates want to have places like GE on their resume. More specific to CT, you aren't going to replace the average $100-300k salary of GE HQ and GE Capital employees with 10,000 comparable small business jobs. Also GE doesn't have small business competitors-- are you aware of 50 person employers manufacturing turbines, jet engines, locomotives and powerplants?
Then exclude GE from your analysis. I however can tie GE to small business since in manufacturing if they don't have capacity they outsource work to smaller machine shops. If you don't like GE for that example change it with UTC, Electric Boat, or Boeing.

I can assure you the small machine shops are not getting property tax breaks on land, buildings, or equipment. Republicans purport to be in favor of small business yet try to tax the hell out of them. I keep hearing them say 85% of American jobs are in small business. Are you saying its better to support the other 15% of business and leave the rest in the closet?

If you don't like the manufacturing industry example you can change it to food service or any thing else really. I can tie nearly every industry back to small business except for natural monopolies like utilities.

Thanks for you're input as I like to know what the other side is thinking too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 11:47 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
I'm afraid you don't get it. Big corporations for the most part attract the talent and still are where the pay and benefits are. NYC isn't home to more billionaires than any other global city because of small business. Top graduates want to have places like GE on their resume. More specific to CT, you aren't going to replace the average $100-300k salary of GE HQ and GE Capital employees with 10,000 comparable small business jobs. Also GE doesn't have small business competitors-- are you aware of 50 person employers manufacturing turbines, jet engines, locomotives and powerplants?
All true. The state will be very regretful for letting these companies leave.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:58 AM

1,241 posts, read 903,301 times
Regardless of your thoughts on this whole situation, I think anyone has to admit this is just extremely clever marketing on Indiana's part and a cute way to get a shot in at Malloy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUPL View Post
Well I am sure many of you know what Indiana did today. Theypaid for an entire 1 page ad to tell Aetna, GE and other business “sorry” forhaving to do business in CT. Below isthe breakdown how the state compares to CT. I must say this is exciting, I hope the governor gets a cop, a singedone hopefully.

A State That Works

Rivalry renewed: Indiana tries to pry Connecticut businesses away - CT Politics

Old 06-10-2015, 12:14 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,489,626 times
WOW. Did they really just put up a page on astatethatworks.com that directly compares IN and CT? Hilarious.

Last edited by BicoastalAnn; 06-10-2015 at 12:25 PM..

Old 06-10-2015, 03:32 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,836,286 times
LOL have any of you visited Indiana ? I wouldn't live there for free. They should put that add up on asshats.com

Old 06-10-2015, 05:00 PM

304 posts, read 397,176 times
Corporations in the 1950s paid far more in taxes then they do today. People with high incomes pay far less taxes then today, compared 60 years ago. All one has to do is go back and look at income taxes from the time they where started in 1913- through 2014- its all in the record. It seems to me- and this is opinion- not fact- that one of the reasons we have a huge wealth disparity today is the regressive tax structure over the last 35 years.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:19 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Amen. That poster thinks bodegas and delis account for NY's success.

The reality is he is simply against capitalism, and tax hikes are a means to an end for him.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:42 PM

1,241 posts, read 903,301 times
I've travelled to Indiana many times. To me it is just like Connecticut- there are places that are nice and there are places I would not live no matter what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
LOL have any of you visited Indiana ? I wouldn't live there for free. They should put that add up on asshats.com

Old 06-10-2015, 06:46 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Des Moines isn't Paris, but it is now #3 globally in insurance jobs. You suppose AETNA & Travelers know that?

Corps move based on business conditions.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:17 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,087,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
I've travelled to Indiana many times. To me it is just like Connecticut- there are places that are nice and there are places I would not live no matter what.
If you drive across northern Indiana you'll think the state is either (1) decrepit Detroit-like cities or (2) incredibly boring flat corn and soybean fields.

But from Indianapolis south, the terrain is more interesting, the winters are less onerous, and the Rust Belt is less evident. It's not a bad place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut