Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 04:59 AM

712 posts, read 531,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
lol. But I don't get it. You'll accept the risk of injuring children and having more accidents around by keeping schools open? If that's the case then we should start mandating chains as other states do, then we wont have to close, right?

With the way some people drive we should be shutting everything down with 1" of snow. lol

I don't get what you're saying. So it's ok for adults to be injured or killed then? No reason to limit this to schools. Adult lives matter as well. Using that logic all non essential work should also be cancelled any time it snow. It doesn't snow that often.

I agree there's not much difference between 1 inch or 6 inches. Once the road gets covered it's so dangerous. 30mph speed limit on highways and 20mph speed limit on side roads and massive fines for going more than 10 over those limits would mean much safer driving in snow. People simply drive way too fast for conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 05:45 AM

83,551 posts, read 75,428,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheHorizon View Post
I don't get what you're saying. So it's ok for adults to be injured or killed then? No reason to limit this to schools.
I think more kids slip and fall than adults do, no? And as far as driving, less risk going to work then dropping off a kid then going to work.. The less on the road the better. Why risk it? I don't get that at all especially when you have a child in the car. I haven't even touched on School buses carrying many children.

I did touch on the morons on the road that don't know how to drive in snow. THAT alone should be a reason to close schools. Unless we can train people how to drive in snow?

How about when the kid is waiting for a ride and the teacher has to wait with them? Now you risk another life as well if the storm is getting worse.

And I will repeat, if we mandate chains or studded tires, then there's no reason to close. But lets stop the talk about being weak and start weighing the risk vs reward.

I think the biggest problem is not understanding about weather. If you know the wind, temps, timing and rate of fall then we would make a better judgment on when to close.

Old 11-02-2016, 06:32 AM

712 posts, read 531,710 times
Quote:
I think more kids slip and fall than adults do, no?

And I will repeat, if we mandate chains or studded tires, then there's no reason to close. But lets stop the talk about being weak and start weighing the risk vs reward.
-Actually adults have more of a tendency to fall and hurt themselves. Especially older folks. Also, kids will go out and PLAY in the snow even if school is cancelled.
Snow tires make a world of difference, but some idiots will then think they can drive faster. You don't need chains and you can't go more than 25mph with chains. Chains are mostly used for traction to get going on grades that have ice in mountainous terrain.

Quote:
I haven't even touched on School buses carrying many children.
-School buses are actually a really safe vehicle(as long as bus is going slow) to be in during a snow storm because of their enormous size if someone runs into you damage is minimal versus being in a car. Its usually the other person you have to worry about.

Quote:

How about when the kid is waiting for a ride and the teacher has to wait with them? Now you risk another life as well if the storm is getting worse.
Total paranoia.
You think someone is risking their life waiting in front of a school? Please name number of people killed while waiting in front of a school for a ride. There's usually a huge parking lot and then a cul de sac to pull into with huge area of side walk. More chance getting killed by lightning. Maybe we should cancel school everytime there is a chance of a thunderstorm. The whole panic that goes on every time a little weather hits is absurd. NEED break and milk. And it's fed into by a media that wants ratings from weather.
Quote:

I did touch on the morons on the road that don't know how to drive in snow. THAT alone should be a reason to close schools. Unless we can train people how to drive in snow?.
THAT alone should be a reason to cancel all non essential work if you think we should have to cancel school. Pay attention to how many people die on the road when it's NOT snowing. Thousands die every years. Driving is the most dangerous thing we do and is the number one cause of death of young people. People will never learn to drive safely in snow, but we can reduce number of crashes with STRICT enforcement of special snow speed limits.

Old 11-02-2016, 01:06 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,712,782 times
All I hope for is that it is way above average with temps for Thanksgiving week. Then all the snow for winter is in December and January.

Last edited by RunD1987; 11-02-2016 at 01:16 PM..

Old 11-02-2016, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheHorizon View Post
Total paranoia.
You think someone is risking their life waiting in front of a school? Please name number of people killed while waiting in front of a school for a ride. There's usually a huge parking lot and then a cul de sac to pull into with huge area of side walk.
TOTALLY missed the point but I can see how. It meant waiting while the snow was falling. Instead of the faculty leaving to get home safe to their family, someone has to stay behind and wait as the storm & roads get worse. Yeah, its a stretch in my overall point but the little details some don't think about. Just shut the schools down stop risking injuries or accidents. Let the kids make up for it when its Sunny and warm in June.

I know parents cant stand that comment because it's a hassle trying to rearrange plans and work so they can find someone or a way to be home with the kids. But I say this ... Take your sick or vacation days when it snows to be home with the kids and stop complaining! If you don't get any, then I'm sorry, that sucks.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:18 PM

2,009 posts, read 1,870,019 times
Quote:
I think more kids slip and fall than adults do, no? And as far as driving, less risk going to work then dropping off a kid then going to work.. The less on the road the better. Why risk it? .

You dont make any sense. How is it less risk going to work then going to drop off a kid then work. Its the same risk. You think the road will be clear going to a school then as soon as you leave it gets bad????? BEing on the road period is a risk. I dont care if you are going to work,school, going shopping or to get food. Its the same risk all the way around no matter where you go

Old 11-03-2016, 09:03 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,089,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Up there they are more likely to close for COLD (any day where wind chill is -25 or less) than snow. I based this on my sister who lives up there.
We had lots of those days, and school never got called off for cold. Different era. Fewer lawyers, probably.

Old 11-03-2016, 02:07 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,241,433 times
Freezing winter? Snow? What's that?

Seriously though...I will miss running in the extreme cold (no joke.) I do have to be careful of ice, but it really pushes me.

Old 06-16-2017, 03:06 PM

I know, I know, its June why is this thread popping up?

Well... I think you should all know there's been big changes to some alerts. This will effect us come winter.

//www.city-data.com/forum/weath...l#post48527322
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut