Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2018, 09:30 AM

34,952 posts, read 56,989,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Is that what we want for our state? Poor and disabled people left to rot?

Nine states have no income tax. That leaves 41 states with income tax who are caring societies that want to shift the tax burden from the poor and working class to the wealthy. Is one of the richest states (CT) in the union going to let the poor and disabled rot. The wealthy wall street/CEO Republicans in this state have no shame. AND STEFANOWSKI IS ONE OF THEM as he wants to completely do away with the income tax. Even my former First Selectman Tim Herbst and Obsitnik wanted to keep the income tax. I guess they are Republicans with a heart.
No, they are Republicans who are realistic as opposed to Republicans who are pandering to the uneducated voter. How can this or any state really eliminate 50% of its revenue source? You can't. Especially with all the Federal mandates that states today must meet. I doubt we can do what other no-income tax states do which is raise the sales tax. Our state is so small that people will just start crossing the border to make major purchases. You will also see more cars registered out of state and property taxes heading even higher. There is no easy answer. Jay

Old 08-16-2018, 10:36 AM

3,594 posts, read 1,796,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
^ Those states with the worst schools and high poverty rates still have great schools and affluent neighborhoods with low crime. The difference vs Connecticut is the wealthy there are not being highly taxed into supporting the lesser members of society The poor are generally left to rot and fend for themselves with minimal state assistance.

Connecticut won't be a low tax state until it stops caring about the well being of everyone rich and poor.
The poor in those states all own property. Rural poor people are living much better qualities of life than urban poor people are. There’s still plenty of welfare programs they take advantage of on the state and federal level. Their cost of living is also much lower.

Old 08-16-2018, 03:45 PM

49 posts, read 26,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
CT has some of the best school and highest incomes in the nation. Also the lowest poverty rates.

While the states that many on here hold up as "the best" have some of the worst schools in the nation, lowest incomes and highest poverty rates.

I do agree government spending needs to be cut. But doing away with the income tax all together puts the burden on the middle class and poor not to mention it will give the state even bigger deficits. Stefanowski is proud to be a Trump clone?

How the Trump Tax Cut Is Helping to Push the Federal Deficit to $1 Trillion
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/25/b...t-deficit.html

The states in red have no income taxes. Go take a look at the highest poverty, worst schools and lowest incomes and you will see most of these states on those lists. Some will be on all three lists.

Attachment 201183
I am pretty realistic with what can and cannot be done. What I think can be done ( but will not be ) because of politics:

cost cutting: freeze spending at current levels for all safety net programs

pension reform: 401k’s for all, eliminate OT from pension calculations, raise employee contributions in health plans

Collective bargaining: eliminate collective bargaining now effective at the termination of the current state union contract

Provide mandate relief to municipalities to encourage reduction of waste and stability of local taxes.

Legalize and Tax marijuana

Legalize and tax sports betting

Split the savings / new revenue between reducing a tax rate ( car / income ) and the transportation fund.

Then deal with the deficits that remain through raising the sales tax.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:24 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,960,503 times
Funny how conservatives say that high taxes are an obstacle to attaining wealth, yet CT is the wealthiest state in the country and the wealthiest states all have high taxes. States with low or no taxes are POOR.

I trust CT voters to do the right thing and vote for Lamont. Austerity NEVER works.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:26 PM

14,058 posts, read 13,953,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Funny how conservatives say that high taxes are an obstacle to attaining wealth, yet CT is the wealthiest state in the country and the wealthiest states all have high taxes. States with low or no taxes are POOR.

I trust CT voters to do the right thing and vote for Lamont. Austerity NEVER works.
Greenwich to Orange corridor, several Hartford suburbs, Madison, Guilford, Old Lyme, Lyme

Old 08-16-2018, 06:33 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,708,545 times
Think Lamont has a lot of good ideas and truly wants what is best for CT Residents. With that said wants to implement polices and changes that don't resolve CT financial crisis. A lot of policies wanting to implement will raise taxes, over extend Government regulation of businesses, and possibly cause more businesses to leave the State. Furthermore, has polices that infringe on individuals certain private liberties.

Old 08-16-2018, 07:01 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,187,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post

Shades of gray, my friend. There is a big middle ground between extremes. You left Ct cause its so great right?

Old 08-16-2018, 08:08 PM

34,072 posts, read 17,102,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
Shades of gray, my friend. There is a big middle ground between extremes. You left Ct cause its so great right?

Old 08-16-2018, 08:35 PM

34,072 posts, read 17,102,875 times
Most vital thing Ct needs is some business friendly pols , to get us out of being a vast under performer vs 90% of states in jobs recovered.

Malloy hates business and it was a mutual feeling.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:57 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,960,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Most vital thing Ct needs is some business friendly pols , to get us out of being a vast under performer vs 90% of states in jobs recovered.

Malloy hates business and it was a mutual feeling.
Usually, business friendly means people/environment unfriendly. Such as cutting important regulations that protect consumers, workers and the environment. I'm all for making things more business friendly, as long as it doesn't increase vulnerabilities for working people, consumers and the environment.

Also, the idea that states like Florida are business friendly is a huge myth. First of all, 46% of Floridians are earning less than $15 per hour. Lots of jobs have been created, but they are menial LOW paying jobs for the most part. Also, despite many people relocating to places like Florida, business generally will NOT relocate here because they know that the population simply isn't as educated as other states. Many educated young Floridians end up leaving the state, believe it or not. The schools are abysmal after 20 years of total Republican rule and rank 42nd in the nation.

So what does a so-called business "friendly" low tax state result in? Super LOW wages, high crime, less educated populace and unappealing to most businesses. You just don't see the GE's, Aetnas and UTC's of the world wanting to relocate to Florida. There's a reason for it.

Please CT, don't follow the footsteps of FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut