Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 07:39 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times

Advertisements

Threats like this only make people want to leave CT, not come. Threats of mileage tax, boat tax, mansion tax, etc. When will this end?

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH) — Restaurant owners across the state are lining up to oppose a state budget plan that would create a new “Dining Tax.” As News 8 first reported last week, Democratic leaders in the House are pushing the plan as part of the budget stalemate solution.

Even at lunchtime in the middle of July, there’s a very active restaurant scene in New Haven. However, restaurant operators across the state are watching the state budget stalemate in Hartford very closely because of a potential financial and confusing impact on their customers.

Speaker of the House Joe Aresimowicz of Berlin and House Majority leader Matt Ritter of Hartford are actively pushing for a boost in the state sales tax to 6.99%, plus a local option dining tax that could increase the sales tax to 7.99% in some communities for food and beverages served at restaurants and bars. The extra penny would be to raise cash for financially strapped cities.

New Haven Mayor Toni Harp, who points out that over fifty percent of the real estate in the Elm City is property tax exempt, likes the idea. “Yes, I would love to see there be an increase in the overall sales tax for food, for beverages and to have it redistributed to our cities,” she stated.

Restaurants fighting against “Dining Tax” | WTNH Connecticut News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 08:10 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Threats like this only make people want to leave CT, not come. Threats of mileage tax, boat tax, mansion tax, etc. When will this end?

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH) — Restaurant owners across the state are lining up to oppose a state budget plan that would create a new “Dining Tax.” As News 8 first reported last week, Democratic leaders in the House are pushing the plan as part of the budget stalemate solution.

Even at lunchtime in the middle of July, there’s a very active restaurant scene in New Haven. However, restaurant operators across the state are watching the state budget stalemate in Hartford very closely because of a potential financial and confusing impact on their customers.

Speaker of the House Joe Aresimowicz of Berlin and House Majority leader Matt Ritter of Hartford are actively pushing for a boost in the state sales tax to 6.99%, plus a local option dining tax that could increase the sales tax to 7.99% in some communities for food and beverages served at restaurants and bars. The extra penny would be to raise cash for financially strapped cities.

New Haven Mayor Toni Harp, who points out that over fifty percent of the real estate in the Elm City is property tax exempt, likes the idea. “Yes, I would love to see there be an increase in the overall sales tax for food, for beverages and to have it redistributed to our cities,” she stated.

I think this is a stupid idea, but at least 95% of the general public won't notice and/or can't calculate the correct tax % anyway. It's also underhanded to make a tax 7.99% or 6.5%, etc because it has to be rounded up since the Govt can't collect half a penny or .99% of a penny.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:19 AM

82 posts, read 99,363 times
Bad decisions by our elected leaders make it difficult to put down roots in this state. At least the traffic congestion should lessen in the upcoming years.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:20 AM

845 posts, read 680,429 times
What a stupid idea. Come to Connecticut, we'll just tax you even more! But hey, at least we still have great schools.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:33 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,040,154 times
If we are going to be poaching MA and VA's taxation practices we need to take their fiscal stewardship practices too.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:01 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
I be okay if they raised the sales tax to 10%. Had a 5% tax rate for cars and clothes. Do away with taxes on pre packaged foods and beverages. A flat income tax rate of 5% and any incone over $30,000 is taxed. Toll roads and a cap on gas tax at 25 cents a gallon. Do away with estate taxes. Proposition to change how property is taxed. Property taxed at value purchased at. Cap property tax at 50 Mill Rate for property and vehicles. Do away with taxes on board or any water vehicle.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:09 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I be okay if they raised the sales tax to 10%. Had a 5% tax rate for cars and clothes. Do away with taxes on pre packaged foods and beverages. A flat income tax rate of 5% and any incone over $30,000 is taxed. Toll roads and a cap on gas tax at 25 cents a gallon. Do away with estate taxes. Proposition to change how property is taxed. Property taxed at value purchased at. Cap property tax at 50 Mill Rate for property and vehicles. Do away with taxes on board or any water vehicle.
Re: property taxes at purchase price - that's how California does it, and they have to raise taxes elsewhere to make up for the shortfall. Unsustainable.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:28 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
Quote:
Re: property taxes at purchase price - that's how California does it, and they have to raise taxes elsewhere to make up for the shortfall. Unsustainable.
See the only alternative as a Land Value Tax in Bridgeport, Hartford, Waterbury, New London, and Norwalk. Then cap mill rates at 35 in all other town and cities in CT.

Cap car taxes at 35 Mill Rate State wide or make car taxes be collected as a County or State tax.

I be okay if they created a flat 8% bussiness tax. With a 2% tax on businesses with 100 more people as an environmental tax to expand greenways and parks in the State.

I be okay of the State stopped funding Towns and Cities for education. Instead towns and cities tax up to 5% of mill rate collected. So say $10,000 us collected for yearly property tax. 5%, $500, be collected to fund education in City or Town.

Last edited by RunD1987; 07-31-2017 at 10:36 AM..

Old 07-31-2017, 02:15 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:

I agree. It is going to take massive cuts in spending first and then consider a POSSIBLE adjustment to the sales taxes. Still that adjustment should be minimal, maybe to 6.5% or 6.75%. The article is wrong about the food and drink tax being an "extra penny". It is one percent which is certainly not one cent on a typical food and drink bill. Of course Mayor Harp likes this because it is extra money the city would get. Not sure I like it particularly when it raises the tax to near 8%. That is crazy high but if I am not mistaken, a lot off other states do this. It generates money for cities that likely need it.

I would once again suggest that people here let your Legislator know you opinion on this proposal. It is just as easy as writing a post on this forum. Jay

Old 07-31-2017, 02:26 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,456,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I agree. It is going to take massive cuts in spending first and then consider a POSSIBLE adjustment to the sales taxes. Still that adjustment should be minimal, maybe to 6.5% or 6.75%. The article is wrong about the food and drink tax being an "extra penny". It is one percent which is certainly not one cent on a typical food and drink bill. Of course Mayor Harp likes this because it is extra money the city would get. Not sure I like it particularly when it raises the tax to near 8%. That is crazy high but if I am not mistaken, a lot off other states do this. It generates money for cities that likely need it.

I would once again suggest that people here let your Legislator know you opinion on this proposal. It is just as easy as writing a post on this forum. Jay
I think the best bet is massive cuts cutting the corporate tax rate a little, and increasing sales tax to 6.5%. At 6.5 most people won't notice and it's still lower then most states in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut