Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happily a resident of Connecticut?
Yes 25 58.14%
No 16 37.21%
Undecided 2 4.65%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 09:44 PM

3,352 posts, read 4,178,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
If you can’t draw the connection between economics and race, you’re not paying attention. You might want to read up on the RNI.

Bridgeport/Stamford/Norwalk has statistically the highest Gini coefficient of any US city, including the five boroughs. In fact, the boroughs don't even make the top 10 list.

And there are many sources other than the NYT. Period.
I’m paying attention and very well read on the topic. RNI ignores races outside of AA and Caucasian. NYC is worse for gini but good luck finding a measure for the five boroughs as opposed to the NYC/Newark/LI combined measure.

Old 10-28-2017, 10:05 PM

21,651 posts, read 31,269,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
I’m paying attention and very well read on the topic. RNI ignores races outside of AA and Caucasian. NYC is worse for gini but good luck finding a measure for the five boroughs as opposed to the NYC/Newark/LI combined measure.
Gini aside, NYC doesn’t even make the list of the top 15 most segregated cities (not MSA). Empiracle evidence doesn’t fly, here.

Old 10-29-2017, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Gini aside, NYC doesn’t even make the list of the top 15 most segregated cities (not MSA). Empiracle evidence doesn’t fly, here.
Here is actual evidence (still waiting on others to do so)

https://cardi.cals.cornell.edu/publi...new-york-state

Manhattan is at 0.60 which puts it 5bps ahead of SW CT. I’ve been talking to economic inequality all along so let’s not pivot.

Old 10-29-2017, 06:42 AM

4,541 posts, read 6,813,077 times
Studies have shown that happiness is linked to social connectedness. Those who are happy are generally involved in at least 3 core pursuits. Volunteering/participating in civic/social organizations is a common theme among happy people. CT has an abundance of opportunities for one to be involved in their community as many of our 169 towns and cities have numerous civic, social and business organizations that serve their community as well as larger organizations that serve larger areas. Additionally, research has shown that money is linked to happiness up to about $75,000. Beyond that there are diminished returns in terms of happiness. CT's median income is $71,346 so, from a money point of view, we are closer to the happiness threshold than many other states. However, beyond fulfilling basic needs having core pursuits and being socially connected are the strongest determiners of happiness. It would make sense that with one of the largest gaps in income and a high concentration of our city residents living in poverty, that there is a large gap between those living in the cities versus those who do not in terms of happiness as well due to economics. Interestingly, many of those with extreme high amounts of money are often unhappy due to the fact that money has been their sole pursuit and anything that diminishes the amount they have adversely affects their outlook on happiness. This group is the most likely to move to other locations with lower costs of living with the belief that they will be happier when in fact it's not a lack of money leading to them feeling unsatisfied.

I recently was talking to a friend of mine who was relocated to NC for work. He lives in a community of people mainly from the northeast who moved there for a lower cost of living. He says he cannot stand living in this community of large, moderately-priced, generic homes. He says all this group of transplants talk about is the amount of money they are saving on taxes, electricity, and other costs. Most are quite well to do but have no other interests. He can't wait to move back to CT.

Old 10-29-2017, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Here is actual evidence (still waiting on others to do so)

https://cardi.cals.cornell.edu/publi...new-york-state

Manhattan is at 0.60 which puts it 5bps ahead of SW CT. I’ve been talking to economic inequality all along so let’s not pivot.
So now we’re comparing one section of a city to an entire metro area?

Old 10-29-2017, 06:59 AM

Quote:
So now we’re comparing one section of a city to an entire metro area?
NYC overall is higher (0.58) and last time I checked NY county is actually larger by population.

Old 10-29-2017, 07:05 AM

Quote:
NYC overall is higher (0.58) and last time I checked NY county is actually larger by population.
I’ll give you that the city itself does, however Fairfield County is so closely next in line that it’s splitting hairs to even debate.

But again, by metro area, Bridgeport/Stamford/Norwalk takes the unfortunate lead in every study published (I’m also not sure why B/S/N isn’t part of NY/Newark).

Income inequality in the U.S. by state, metropolitan area, and county | Economic Policy Institute

Old 10-29-2017, 07:22 AM

34,971 posts, read 57,057,748 times
I think this thread has gone far off topic so I am shutting it down. Thanks for the posts. JayCT, Moderator

Old 10-29-2017, 09:22 AM

21,792 posts, read 28,161,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Additionally, research has shown that money is linked to happiness up to about $75,000.
Always found that really questionable, and dependent on area/individual.

When I made $75k I was very cautious with spending and didn’t travel much. I hit a certain income well above that where I traveled where and when I wanted to, and didn’t worry too much about extra spending. The travel especially made for a lot more happiness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut