Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2019, 08:37 AM

1,395 posts, read 1,512,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
As much as I love the concept of Net metering it comes to a point where it's unsustainable. I believe the new system allows the selling of energy back to the utility just at wholesale rates. That pains me to say as I hate eversource with an unending passion.
The problem with the new system is you can't use any self generated power on site. Its a sell all buy all setup.

With the current setup in the summer during peak demand my panels power my whole house including my central air and I still send power out to the grid to my neighbors. Meanwhile the oil fired peak power plant in New Haven is running to keep up demand.

I am glad I am grandfathered in untill 2039 with net metering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 08:45 AM

377 posts, read 241,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Argue what you want but this goes back to the questioning my original statement on the gas tax, not the Gross Receipts Tax.

As I pointed out it is a fact that the state is receiving less revenue from gasoline sales and is likely to see even less in the future unless something is changed. Other states have chosen to raise their taxes on gasoline. That includes states that currently rely on tolls.

If the State wants to address its transportation needs and build a system that will serve us well in the 21st Century, more revenue is needed. How we get that revenue is up for debate. We could continue to keep what is a rapidly decreasing revenue source and do nothing to improve our transportation.

We could raise the gas tax which places the financial burden of transportation pretty much only on Connecticut residents. Or we can implement tolls which would place as much as 40% of the burden on out-of-state drivers who currently use our roads for free.

I don't think it can be argued that our transportation system needs improvement and to do that we need additional revenue. I also don't think the burden of that should be placed solely on the residents of Connecticut in the form of increased gas taxes. We are the only state on the east coast that does not have tolls. We can no longer afford to pay for out-of-state drivers to use our roads for free. That is why tolls seem to make the most sense for solving our transportation revenue problem. Jay

"I don't think it can be argued that our transportation system needs improvement and to do that we need additional revenue. "

If they need more revenue, why does the new Budget proposal cancel the transfer of Sales tax to the Special Transportation Fund? That indicates a complete dependence on another source of revenue, which are tolls, to not only replace what is being lost, but will have to raise more for improvement. In addition, the proposal is for a " placeholder Bill " , they must have learned that from Nancy Pelosi. They want an " empty bill " to be added to at another time. Then we might be able to read it and see what is in it.

Nothing but another gimmick to add taxation. The out of state driver nonsense is just that, nonsense. 53 tolling locations around the state. That will have a direct impact on people getting to work. Out of state drivers drive through mostly on weekends and Holidays. Some do commute into CT of course, but again, the overwhelming burden will be on residents of the state.

Last edited by SAE72; 02-21-2019 at 09:15 AM..

Old 02-21-2019, 09:27 AM

6,590 posts, read 4,982,629 times
Quote:
I don't think it can be argued that our transportation system needs improvement and to do that we need additional revenue. I also don't think the burden of that should be placed solely on the residents of Connecticut in the form of increased gas taxes. We are the only state on the east coast that does not have tolls. We can no longer afford to pay for out-of-state drivers to use our roads for free. That is why tolls seem to make the most sense for solving our transportation revenue problem. Jay
Georgia has just ONE toll road, and it's not all the lanes. I didn't read too deeply on it but I'm guessing it's HOV lanes.

I have driven to the eastern shore numerous times in the past 10 years alone, along with many trips to WV and the only tolls I've paid have been in NY. Yes, you heard that right, very easy to get to the eastern shore of VA without paying tolls.

As I said above, PA also only has a few toll roads. Drove 4 hours through last summer - not one toll. I'd encourage everyone to look at the maps of toll roads in other states and compare them to what CT is proposing. We are going to get hosed - again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAE72 View Post
Nothing but another gimmick to add taxation. The out of state driver nonsense is just that, nonsense. 53 tolling locations around the state. That will have a direct impact on people getting to work. Out of state drivers drive through mostly on weekends and Holidays. Some do commute into CT of course, but again, the overwhelming burden will be on residents of the state.
Out of state drivers are going to be a tiny fraction of what residents will pay. This state is too money hungry and they'll get what they can from us daily.

Old 02-21-2019, 10:02 AM

377 posts, read 241,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Georgia has just ONE toll road, and it's not all the lanes. I didn't read too deeply on it but I'm guessing it's HOV lanes.

I have driven to the eastern shore numerous times in the past 10 years alone, along with many trips to WV and the only tolls I've paid have been in NY. Yes, you heard that right, very easy to get to the eastern shore of VA without paying tolls.

As I said above, PA also only has a few toll roads. Drove 4 hours through last summer - not one toll. I'd encourage everyone to look at the maps of toll roads in other states and compare them to what CT is proposing. We are going to get hosed - again.

Out of state drivers are going to be a tiny fraction of what residents will pay. This state is too money hungry and they'll get what they can from us daily.

It is hard to tell, but it appears that some of the money collected by Tolls may actually be siphoned off to use for rail improvements. The details are still sketchy on that, but if so, it would definitively make a case for a determined effort by Democrats to get people out of their cars.

Old 02-21-2019, 10:04 AM

1,241 posts, read 903,914 times
The Georgia toll roads are, as you noted, not all the lanes on that highways they are on (I75 and I85.) It is an optional express lane where the rates change depending on congestion. If you are in a hurry, and want to pay the toll, you can avoid some traffic. If you don't want to pay the toll, there are regular lanes to use. Great system I think though some will argue its' regressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post

Old 02-21-2019, 02:24 PM

6,590 posts, read 4,982,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
The Georgia toll roads are, as you noted, not all the lanes on that highways they are on (I75 and I85.) It is an optional express lane where the rates change depending on congestion. If you are in a hurry, and want to pay the toll, you can avoid some traffic. If you don't want to pay the toll, there are regular lanes to use. Great system I think though some will argue its' regressive.
I don't think it's regressive if you have a choice. We won't have a choice - now THAT'S regressive. For many, driving to work is a necessity and we'll now get taxed more on it.

Georgia is a big state and only has tolls on 2 roads.

Really hope all who voted in Malloy 2.0 are patting themselves on the back right about now.

Old 02-21-2019, 02:39 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,838,473 times
Quote:
Argue what you want but this goes back to the questioning my original statement on the gas tax, not the Gross Receipts Tax.

As I pointed out it is a fact that the state is receiving less revenue from gasoline sales and is likely to see even less in the future unless something is changed. Other states have chosen to raise their taxes on gasoline. That includes states that currently rely on tolls.

Jay

The gross receipts tax rises and falls with the price of gasoline. For example, when gas is $4 a gallon the state gets double the tax vs when gas is $2 a gallon. This is one reason gas tax collection is down.

And yes the gross receipts tax is a tax. Neither the wholesalers or retailers are eating this tax. It's being passed onto the consumers.

The state needs to stop trying to hide taxes like this and just come out and give us a flat gas tax.

Old 02-21-2019, 03:38 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
Quote:
"I don't think it can be argued that our transportation system needs improvement and to do that we need additional revenue. "

If they need more revenue, why does the new Budget proposal cancel the transfer of Sales tax to the Special Transportation Fund? That indicates a complete dependence on another source of revenue, which are tolls, to not only replace what is being lost, but will have to raise more for improvement. In addition, the proposal is for a " placeholder Bill " , they must have learned that from Nancy Pelosi. They want an " empty bill " to be added to at another time. Then we might be able to read it and see what is in it.

CTDOT has estimated that tolls could generate up to $1 billion a year. If 40% of that money comes from out of state drivers, that is $400 million a year we do not get now. Do you really want to lose $400 million a year?

Right now all money from the gas tax goes into the Transportation Fund. It was determined that it was not enough to support the transportation system we have and projects needed so the state directed some of the sales tax to bolster the fund temporarily until a decision is made on how to address the shortfall. That decision could be tolls or it could be an increase in the gas tax. It could be nothing. The fund has sufficient funds to go for several years without additional money which is why Lamont is proposing to eliminate the sales tax diversion. Jay

Old 02-21-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
It is hard to tell, but it appears that some of the money collected by Tolls may actually be siphoned off to use for rail improvements. The details are still sketchy on that, but if so, it would definitively make a case for a determined effort by Democrats to get people out of their cars.
The gas tax goes into the Transportation Fund which in turn supports ALL forms of transportation. It pretty much always has. Jay

Old 02-21-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
The gross receipts tax rises and falls with the price of gasoline. For example, when gas is $4 a gallon the state gets double the tax vs when gas is $2 a gallon. This is one reason gas tax collection is down.

And yes the gross receipts tax is a tax. Neither the wholesalers or retailers are eating this tax. It's being passed onto the consumers.

The state needs to stop trying to hide taxes like this and just come out and give us a flat gas tax.
The state is not hiding anything. Both taxes are well documented for anyone who bothers to look. Not sure what you expect the state to do to make it more known. Do they have to post every tax and fee that is charged on every single item we buy. That would be impossible to do. Other states have the Gross Receipts Tax and you don't see them advertising it. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut