Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2019, 07:21 PM

21,622 posts, read 31,221,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Some go to Vermont and New Hampshire. This may persuade them to consider western Massachusetts instead. Jay
10k?! Anyone who has the means to up and move to another state isn’t going to let 10k persuade them IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 07:42 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,427,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
I could see myself being very happy living in Northampton! It's actually a town I've been considering moving to.
that is a great town - lots to do and tax-free shopping up in New Hampshire

Old 01-30-2019, 12:21 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,007,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazbme99 View Post
Lamont is just another talker. He is painting a nice picture but he won't change much of anything. This state has been destroyed by decades of poor leadership in Hartford. The Democrat controlled legislature controls all the money. Lamont is going to try and act like the good guy, who wants to compromise and change things. The reality is that he is a liberal democrat who will not bring any real change to Connecticut. Dannel Malloy and Ned Lamont = nothing new, no change coming.
One positive is that at least Lamont can speak clearly and not make a fool out of himself like Malloy.

Meet the new boss...same as the old boss...

https://www.courant.com/politics/hc-...2vu-story.html

Old 02-12-2019, 05:42 AM

34,943 posts, read 56,970,098 times
Lamont is preparing his first budget and is hinting at some things it will include. Jay

https://ctmirror.org/2019/02/11/lamo...tax-expansion/

Old 02-12-2019, 07:37 AM

487 posts, read 537,341 times
Quote:
Lamont is preparing his first budget and is hinting at some things it will include. Jay

Will be interesting to follow how they define and potentially tax digital media. Seems to be a popular topic across quite a few States.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:31 AM

710 posts, read 403,063 times
Quote:

I really can't get over people's comments on twitter & facebook articles. I legit saw someone comment saying how no one will be able to afford groceries anymore. Like come on man , don't be so dramatic LOL !! The idea floated for groceries is a 2% sales tax. You spend $125, you're now spending $127.50. OMMGGG HOW UNAFFORDABLE !!!! Those are the kind of folks who say they are leaving CT yet never do.. though I wish they were first ones on the bus.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:11 AM

377 posts, read 241,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamonYallCTaintThatBad View Post
I really can't get over people's comments on twitter & facebook articles. I legit saw someone comment saying how no one will be able to afford groceries anymore. Like come on man , don't be so dramatic LOL !! The idea floated for groceries is a 2% sales tax. You spend $125, you're now spending $127.50. OMMGGG HOW UNAFFORDABLE !!!! Those are the kind of folks who say they are leaving CT yet never do.. though I wish they were first ones on the bus.
What was the sales tax when it started ? What was the income tax rate ? Once the Government gets their hands in the taxpayers pocket, it is quite easy for them to just keep increasing it.

The same situation would apply to Tolls. First 50 cents, then 60, then a dollar, whatever.

And here's a situation that hasn't been addressed. My E Z Pass Account holds some of my money to pay the tolls. When it goes down to a certain level, it is replenished by Credit Card. The amount they hold , $ 10.00, $ 25.00 or whatever the figure is, multiply that by the number of EZ Pass holders. Where is that money held ? Is anyone making any interest on it ? And who sets the bar ? Do you pay in advance for Bus Fare? Airfare ? Uber? Taxi ? Amtrak ?

Old 02-12-2019, 10:13 AM

34,943 posts, read 56,970,098 times
Lamont appears to be ready to cut Bonding by 39%. This would be good since we have borrowed a lot in recent years. This however goes against the Republican's proposal to increase Bonding for transportation spending. Never liked their plan since it did not address where the revenue is coming from to pay for those Bonds. Jay

Lamont promises to cut borrowing by 39% | HartfordBusiness.com

Old 02-12-2019, 10:51 AM

21,622 posts, read 31,221,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamonYallCTaintThatBad View Post
You’re missing the point. It’s a culmination of all taxes that are hurting people. One tax may be doable, but when you take into account the taxes on homes, vehicles, gas, food, clothing, etc, it adds up and ultimately leads to unaffordability for middle and working class people. Don’t discount their fears.

And actually, many ARE leaving CT. From July 1, 2016 to July 1, 2017, over 22,000 people left the state. The only growth came from births outpacing deaths and several thousand moving to CT, the vast majority of whom moved from out of the country.

I do find it a bit funny how, on Facebook, some of my friends who always had the excuse that “taxes = high quality of life” are complaining about their lower tax return. Amazing how they react when, what’s essentially a tax, affects them personally.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:00 AM

377 posts, read 241,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
You’re missing the point. It’s a culmination of all taxes that are hurting people. One tax may be doable, but when you take into account the taxes on homes, vehicles, gas, food, clothing, etc, it adds up and ultimately leads to unaffordability for middle and working class people. Don’t discount their fears.

And actually, many ARE leaving CT. From July 1, 2016 to July 1, 2017, over 22,000 people left the state. The only growth came from births outpacing deaths and several thousand moving to CT, the vast majority of whom moved from out of the country.

I do find it a bit funny how, on Facebook, some of my friends who always had the excuse that “taxes = high quality of life” are complaining about their lower tax return. Amazing how they react when, what’s essentially a tax, affects them personally.
The Federal Tax issue is a case by case basis. Many may have had too little withheld, others too much . Once again it is about proper preparation , planning and positioning. Doubling the standard deduction for singles and married couples in most cases helped renters and those on a fixed income. Most may have forgotten the increase in take home pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut