Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 05:27 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,951,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdnmaximus View Post
Good to know. Since I did it online, the probability of the response getting lost is minimal I'd assume. Hopefully, I received a response within a month then.
The way I remember the timeline, I got the ticket in early April. About 8 days later, I mailed in my not guilty plea. In early May, I got a notification that I hadn't responded to my ticket, and that my license would be suspended if I didn't respond shortly. I called the Centralized Infractions Bureau, and they accepted a not guilty plea over the phone. Over a month went by before I heard anything, and I hoped that maybe my case had been "lost." But as mid June approached, I got notification of a court date in the latter part of June.

So it was a bit over a month from the time they actually received my plea to the time I heard about my court date. Since I got my ticket in Fairfield, my court appearance was in Bridgeport on Golden Hill Street, and that place is a sh*tshow. My notice said that my time to appear was 10am, and I was going to go at 10, but somebody who had been there before warned me that going at 10 would mean that I would have to wait for hours. Instead, I went a little before 9am and lined up outside the courthouse. By the time they opened the doors, the line extended all the way down the steps and down the street. But I was close to the front and my case was heard pretty quickly. I was back at my house by 10:30 am and able to enjoy the rest of the day, with a slightly lighter wallet... I remember it was a beautiful day and I was really happy to have taken the whole day off work so I could enjoy the beautiful weather after my court appearance was over.

I've been to traffic court several times (I've been driving for 40 years) and I have always found it somewhat entertaining. Some of the people and cases that you'll see are pretty comical.

I also agree that it's better to go in person than provide the online explanation. The system is run on money, and they start losing money once you appear in person rather than just mail in your fine. Therefore, once you appear in person, their priority, if you're not a dangerous or repeat offender, is to cut their losses and get rid of you before you cost them most money. That's why they usually a sweet deal to plead guilty and go away, because if you take it to trial, it takes up more of the court's time, and time is money. I think that with the online explanation, while it's more convenient, it also doesn't provide the court the same incentive to cut you a sweet deal, and you lost the ability to gauge the situation and decide how much you need to tell them. As it turned out, when I went to court, I didn't have to tell them anything. They saw I looked respectable, my offense wasn't that bad and I had no record, and immediately lowered my fine substantially without me even providing an explanation. In any case, I was blatantly speeding and there really was no explanation I could have provided without lying, which I didn't want to do. I'm more of a "take my punishment and stand tall" kind of guy and I wouldn't have felt good trying to weasel my way out of a slap on the wrist.

Last edited by dazzleman; 05-05-2019 at 05:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2019, 01:03 PM

13 posts, read 11,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
The way I remember the timeline, I got the ticket in early April. About 8 days later, I mailed in my not guilty plea. In early May, I got a notification that I hadn't responded to my ticket, and that my license would be suspended if I didn't respond shortly. I called the Centralized Infractions Bureau, and they accepted a not guilty plea over the phone. Over a month went by before I heard anything, and I hoped that maybe my case had been "lost." But as mid June approached, I got notification of a court date in the latter part of June.

So it was a bit over a month from the time they actually received my plea to the time I heard about my court date. Since I got my ticket in Fairfield, my court appearance was in Bridgeport on Golden Hill Street, and that place is a sh*tshow. My notice said that my time to appear was 10am, and I was going to go at 10, but somebody who had been there before warned me that going at 10 would mean that I would have to wait for hours. Instead, I went a little before 9am and lined up outside the courthouse. By the time they opened the doors, the line extended all the way down the steps and down the street. But I was close to the front and my case was heard pretty quickly. I was back at my house by 10:30 am and able to enjoy the rest of the day, with a slightly lighter wallet... I remember it was a beautiful day and I was really happy to have taken the whole day off work so I could enjoy the beautiful weather after my court appearance was over.

I've been to traffic court several times (I've been driving for 40 years) and I have always found it somewhat entertaining. Some of the people and cases that you'll see are pretty comical.

I also agree that it's better to go in person than provide the online explanation. The system is run on money, and they start losing money once you appear in person rather than just mail in your fine. Therefore, once you appear in person, their priority, if you're not a dangerous or repeat offender, is to cut their losses and get rid of you before you cost them most money. That's why they usually a sweet deal to plead guilty and go away, because if you take it to trial, it takes up more of the court's time, and time is money. I think that with the online explanation, while it's more convenient, it also doesn't provide the court the same incentive to cut you a sweet deal, and you lost the ability to gauge the situation and decide how much you need to tell them. As it turned out, when I went to court, I didn't have to tell them anything. They saw I looked respectable, my offense wasn't that bad and I had no record, and immediately lowered my fine substantially without me even providing an explanation. In any case, I was blatantly speeding and there really was no explanation I could have provided without lying, which I didn't want to do. I'm more of a "take my punishment and stand tall" kind of guy and I wouldn't have felt good trying to weasel my way out of a slap on the wrist.
Ha! I am going to make sure I go there early to beat the rush. I have seen such lines back when I went to apply for my SSN where people started lining up even before the office was open.

A friend of mine recommended a restaurant which apparently is near Vernon. Going to take the day off, so was planning to go there for lunch if I get a morning slot. Hope it is a beautiful day too so that I can go for a hike somewhere near. I am not sure which location my assigned court will be though, to plan for all that.

Old 05-05-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdnmaximus View Post
Ha! I am going to make sure I go there early to beat the rush. I have seen such lines back when I went to apply for my SSN where people started lining up even before the office was open.

A friend of mine recommended a restaurant which apparently is near Vernon. Going to take the day off, so was planning to go there for lunch if I get a morning slot. Hope it is a beautiful day too so that I can go for a hike somewhere near. I am not sure which location my assigned court will be though, to plan for all that.
From what I understand, they assign everybody on a given day to the 10 am time, and then take the people in order of arrival. If you actually go at 10 am, you could be waiting for hours. Going early worked for me. I got out early and really enjoyed the rest of the day. It sounds as if you're planning to do the same. Having some fun after taking a penalty takes some of the edge off. I realized that back in high school when I made a habit of doing something fun with my friends after our punishment was over the times we had to stay after school. This is the same principle. Better to do that than to stew in bad feelings about your punishment.

Old 07-04-2019, 08:31 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,975,313 times
Hey gdnmaximus, how did your case turn out?

I got a ticket today for running a stop sign. Which I did, simply because I didn't see it until the last minute. I haven't had a ticket in over 15 years.

My insurance officially renews July 14, but I've already gotten my new documents and cards. I think I have until July 26 to take care of the ticket.

Old 07-05-2019, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Hey gdnmaximus, how did your case turn out?

I got a ticket today for running a stop sign. Which I did, simply because I didn't see it until the last minute. I haven't had a ticket in over 15 years.

My insurance officially renews July 14, but I've already gotten my new documents and cards. I think I have until July 26 to take care of the ticket.
Hopefully the insurance company will never pick up on the ticket. They don't run driving abstracts that often for longer term customers. For what it's worth, my various insurance companies never picked up on any of the tickets that I got over the years. In each case, the only penalty I ever paid was the fine itself, and it usually wasn't much. Barely a slap on the wrist.

Old 07-05-2019, 04:56 AM

6,589 posts, read 4,975,313 times
Quote:
Hopefully the insurance company will never pick up on the ticket. They don't run driving abstracts that often for longer term customers. For what it's worth, my various insurance companies never picked up on any of the tickets that I got over the years. In each case, the only penalty I ever paid was the fine itself, and it usually wasn't much. Barely a slap on the wrist.

When I was 19 or so, I got a ticket driving a company truck. I paid it and went on my way. Nearly a year later, my parents filled out their renewal paperwork and answered "no" to the "did anyone have any infractions" question - I never told them. They got cancelled because of my ticket (also long term customers) and the only way they got renewed was without me. Expensive lesson for me as I was put in a risk pool - don't remember if it was due to my age or what. This was in the 80s.

The reason for that story is - do they not ask that anymore? Or check? I am pretty sure I just get auto magically renewed, but I do sometimes get packets I just don't open, figuring they are just policy documents. I've been with my company about 6 years now.

BTW is $134 a typical fee for a stop sign? My friend and I nearly passed out when I opened the envelope! Or are they still paying off the fancy printouts and envelopes?

Old 07-05-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
When I was 19 or so, I got a ticket driving a company truck. I paid it and went on my way. Nearly a year later, my parents filled out their renewal paperwork and answered "no" to the "did anyone have any infractions" question - I never told them. They got cancelled because of my ticket (also long term customers) and the only way they got renewed was without me. Expensive lesson for me as I was put in a risk pool - don't remember if it was due to my age or what. This was in the 80s.

The reason for that story is - do they not ask that anymore? Or check? I am pretty sure I just get auto magically renewed, but I do sometimes get packets I just don't open, figuring they are just policy documents. I've been with my company about 6 years now.

BTW is $134 a typical fee for a stop sign? My friend and I nearly passed out when I opened the envelope! Or are they still paying off the fancy printouts and envelopes?
$134 sounds about right for blowing a stop sign. But I don't know for sure because it's been a long time since I got a ticket for anything but speeding.

As for insurance companies checking driving records at renewal, my understanding is that they focus more on younger drivers. I'm pretty sure they don't check every single customer each year.

Old 07-15-2019, 11:21 AM

175 posts, read 98,383 times
Many years ago, I got a speeding ticket on I-84 in Vernon, too. The trooper was in an unmarked Ford Mustang. Looks like the speed trap is still going strong.

I forget the details but I recall going to a courthouse in Vernon. I ended up with a greatly reduced fine and no points.

Old 07-16-2019, 02:24 PM

205 posts, read 162,483 times
Quote:
$134 sounds about right for blowing a stop sign. But I don't know for sure because it's been a long time since I got a ticket for anything but speeding.

As for insurance companies checking driving records at renewal, my understanding is that they focus more on younger drivers. I'm pretty sure they don't check every single customer each year.
They've gone up quite a bit. I got one for $78 for trying to sneak up a middle lane to make a left turn (which everyone used to do, but a cop just happened to be sitting there that day (on Queen St in Southington just south of 84 when it used to merge into one lane for about 50 feet before a left turn lane began), but that was in 94.

Auto insurance companies usually send out the renewals 4-6 weeks in advance, and the rate has already been determined, so a ticket in that 4-6 week window will not affect your rate for this renewal, and companies usually go by the conviction date anyway rather than the infraction date. It may affect your next renewal depending on the underwriting criteria the company uses. I was lucky with my last ticket back in 2010 in MA. MA is one of a couple states that doesn't share its minor infraction information with the national database so I never saw a hike in my rates.

Old 07-16-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Nutmegger View Post
They've gone up quite a bit. I got one for $78 for trying to sneak up a middle lane to make a left turn (which everyone used to do, but a cop just happened to be sitting there that day (on Queen St in Southington just south of 84 when it used to merge into one lane for about 50 feet before a left turn lane began), but that was in 94.

Auto insurance companies usually send out the renewals 4-6 weeks in advance, and the rate has already been determined, so a ticket in that 4-6 week window will not affect your rate for this renewal, and companies usually go by the conviction date anyway rather than the infraction date. It may affect your next renewal depending on the underwriting criteria the company uses. I was lucky with my last ticket back in 2010 in MA. MA is one of a couple states that doesn't share its minor infraction information with the national database so I never saw a hike in my rates.
I got a speeding ticket in New York a few years ago that never made it to my driving record either. I've come within a hair's breath of getting speeding tickets in Massachusetts several times but somehow I've always managed to slip through the net so far. Good to know that the ticket wouldn't make it onto my driving record even if I got one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut