Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 03:19 PM

21 posts, read 60,045 times

Advertisements

I have read through the posts here and on other websites extensively about the schools in the Glastonbury area. I am still confused and how you can help to clear some of this up for me.

My significant other is relocating from CA to CT. He has accepted a job at Pratt & Whitney. His two boys are ages 12 and 9. Since he is "originally" from the CT area he has already said that he would prefer to live in Glastonbury. The problem is that he hasn't found housing yet.
So, do we look for housing first, and then decide on schools?? OR decide on schools and then look for housing???

With the 12 yr old just finishing up 6th grade and going into 7th in september I thought the ButtonBall school I read about on line sounded good so that both kids coudl go to the same school,etc.. but do you have to live in a certain area to attend this school.

also, they are moving before the oldest finishes 6th grade, so I want it to be as easy as possible.. with as little changes as possible.. ie going to 6th grade at one school for a month, and then 7th grade at a different school and then 9th grade at a different school.. know what I mean???

any help will be appreciated..

also I already posted on Craigslist and other areas about after school care and have gone thru the phone books.. no one wants kids over the age of 12... and 12 year olds don't want to be with the little "babies" .. any thoughts on that also....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 03:40 PM

625 posts, read 2,050,483 times
Glastonbury has one school for 6th graders only, Gideon Welles. Then they all go to Smith Middle for 7-8th grade. Finally, Glastonbury High for 9-12. So I don't think the 12 year old will be able to avoid doing 1 month at one school and then having to transfer to Smith for 7-8th. Here's some info on the schools... School Info (http://www.glastonburyus.org/school_info.htm - broken link)

Also, I thought they had a district map, but I can't locate it on the website. They do, however, have a breakdown by street... DistrictStreetList (http://www.glastonburyus.org/new_page_1.htm - broken link)

Old 04-16-2008, 03:46 PM

so what about this Buttonball School? It says grades K thru 12......

Old 04-16-2008, 03:50 PM

Buttonball is one of 6 elementary schools in Glastonbury. It serves grades K-5. It has about 575 kids enrolled.

I have the district map saved to my computer, but can't post it here because it won't let me attach files, and I can't find it on the school website anymore. If you send me a DM, I will email it to you, it's a PDF file.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:57 PM

Okay, what is a DM??? (sorry.) Okay I mis-read the info about the ButtonBall school. I am going to have to contact the principal over there and find out how the transition is going to take place.. so he would then go to the 7th grade with all the other students. everyone goes to the same 7th and 8th grade?? then on to high school??

so I guess the younger one's school would be determined by where they live, correct??

sorry I am jumping all over the place.. as you can tell I am new to all this but SO grateful that people are so helpful. thanks!

Old 04-16-2008, 04:01 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,433,028 times
Yes, depending on WHERE in town you live would depend on which elementary school that younger one would be in.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:03 PM

well that kind of stinks because I was hoping there was a K thru 12 that they could go to together and then have after care together.. argh.. this is getitng complicated.. what do parents do when they have more than one child and they need to go to after school care, I wonder...

Old 04-16-2008, 04:10 PM

so since both kids would be going to different schools, does any one have any idea if there is public transportation to after school programs or what have you? also, should I begin a new thread on the subject of after care for kids?

Old 04-16-2008, 04:53 PM

A DM is a direct message through the site. If it's easier, just email me at AmyB@AmyB-RE.com and I will respond that way and can send you the district map.

JayCT will probably read this thread soon and can respond to your after school questions. Children are bussed in Glastonbury, but I'm not sure if they will take you to places other than the child's house... Jay...please help...

Old 04-17-2008, 06:58 AM

311 posts, read 1,824,267 times
Not sure about other centers in Glastonbury - however, Bright Horizons on Village Place offers a busing program for after school care to those enrolled in town. I would call the school and speak to them about specific. Hope that helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: