Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2023, 10:20 AM

83,511 posts, read 75,269,804 times

Advertisements

Update on Snowiest Climo Locations in the U.S.

I remember when I was putting this together and Hartford, Bridgeport were on there.

Maine the only one representing the Northeast this season and past couple seasons too. Buffalo also up there still as 3rd snowiest and +44" above normal.

5 sites from Minnesota on here
4 from Michigan
3 from Wyoming
2 from Nevada
1 from Nebraska

You now need more than 42.3 inches to make this Top 30 list. So I guess Connecticut can forget it. lolol

Also… Take note how many are WELL ABOVE normal.

Old 02-19-2023, 02:01 PM

11,295 posts, read 18,880,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Update on Snowiest Climo Locations in the U.S.

I remember when I was putting this together and Hartford, Bridgeport were on there.

Maine the only one representing the Northeast this season and past couple seasons too. Buffalo also up there still as 3rd snowiest and +44" above normal.

5 sites from Minnesota on here
4 from Michigan
3 from Wyoming
2 from Nevada
1 from Nebraska

You now need more than 42.3 inches to make this Top 30 list. So I guess Connecticut can forget it. lolol

Also… Take note how many are WELL ABOVE normal.

The real quirk with Buffalo is that if you throw out those two monsters snows even they have barely had any snow this year.....notice (since those storms were pretty localized to Buffalo) that Rochester and Syracuse are not on the list......I believe Rochester actually has less snow so far this winter that what would be normal in southern CT and Syracuse is just above that!

Quote:
This should help you guys understand why its been warm for us. It's happening again this week..

Big snows for the West and Northern Plains coming again. They've had above normal/normal snowfall season. We can't always have that here, atmosphere is fluid, always changing. It's their turn now.

It's called a "SouthEast Ridge" when there is High pressure in the Southeast pumping warm air north.

Jet stream dipping in the West CANNOT and WILL NOT bring cold and snow to Northeast

Air is flowing from the south(warm) when the Jet stream lifts north.
Air is flowing from the north (cold) when Jet stream dips south.

Storm tracks follow along the Jet Steam, that's why countless of storms went from the plains towards Great Lakes, which means warm/rain for us when that happens.

Guess what happens in CT when this happens in the Southeast and the Jet stream is pumped north of us...

All this heat gets pushed north so we warm up.

This map is for today but it should continue with 40s and 50s across CT

This is helpful, thanks, and may better explain where you and I disagree on "climate change" which is probably a narrower disagreement than you think.

If the argument is people (and more often than not the media) making it sound like without "global warming" this winter would be cold and snowy, I'm totally with you, all the atmospheric setups point to warmer than normal weather, storms that bring in warmer air in our region and thus rain, etc, an "average" or a "normal" is a combination of the warmer and the colder. Ditto the idea that something like this "never happened before" or "only happened since.... (fill in 1980, 1990, 2000, etc.)". And when I see this in comments or forums I always argue that with people, such as those who believe we never before had a near snowless winter or that it was never 60 or even 70 in wintertime in the Northeast 50 or even 100+ years ago and show them where to look otherwise.

But note how the Accuweather meme talks about "record warmth". Where I think it comes into play is it pushes up what would already be a much warmer than normal situation no matter when or what to where we see more warm records than we used to. That's where we have to watch and monitor where it goes over the coming years and decades (the only real way to prove or disprove all this) and take notice/action.

Now you didn't do one of your little jokes with this post, you simply explained and explained well so I won't keep going, but just wanted to note....

Last edited by 7 Wishes; 02-19-2023 at 02:17 PM..

Old 02-20-2023, 05:38 AM

On one side Record Cold and a major multi-day winter storm will impact the Northern plains and MidWest. 18+ inches in southern Minnesota.

Record Warmth on the other side, just very warm for Connecticut though, no records

What's interesting is that USUALLY it flips once during the winter, it hasn't this year that's why Connecticut has been warm and rainy..

Just because we are snowless doesn't mean nobody else is, some people think that believe it or not because they don't hear or follow the weather elsewhere..

Also... those years we heard about the west torching were the years we were cold and snowy here in CT.. Just how its always been

My favorite pattern in Spring is this.... It's called Zonal Flow. When the Jet stream is flat and north and it brings West to East flow.. Those are the warm dry sunny days. No humidity, no cold, no big heat

Old 02-20-2023, 12:12 PM

Seriously...……...are you guys enjoying this!!?? Keep revving up those gas engines!

Another day with 50s and 60s in Southern New England.. WOW!

Meanwhile...…… Why aren't we getting snow???

Follow the "L". That's the storm track.. First it goes towards Great Lakes.. Then it moves east but barely south of us.

Need storms to stay south of Philly for us to get snow with this scenario. ANOTHER MISS

Old 02-20-2023, 12:26 PM

6,585 posts, read 4,968,631 times
This is amazing!

Old 02-20-2023, 01:45 PM

11,295 posts, read 18,880,628 times
Quote:
Seriously...……...are you guys enjoying this!!?? Keep revving up those gas engines!

Another day with 50s and 60s in Southern New England.. WOW!

Meanwhile...…… Why aren't we getting snow???

Follow the "L". That's the storm track.. First it goes towards Great Lakes.. Then it moves east but barely south of us.

Need storms to stay south of Philly for us to get snow with this scenario. ANOTHER MISS

Looks like after today it may change for awhile and we don't hit 50 for a couple of weeks (possibly next Sunday but seems to be trending colder), though Thursday looks crazy as Philly on south is forecast for 70s and above and DC might actually reach 80! (They have thrice before in February, in 1930, 1948 and 2018.....and in 1930 it was 84.....so it's not unprecedented like it kind of would be here as they do have a slightly warmer climate than we do....in fact their record for Thursday is 78 set in 1874). While Boston gets snow and low-mid 30s all day, with us "caught in the middle".

Is the snow for Saturday still in the models? NWS has it but Weather Channel has it as "inch or less" now.....

Old 02-20-2023, 02:24 PM

Latest Euro says this next 10 days.. I use Celsius when looking at this because its easy to see the below freezing airmass (negative numbers)

Lots of days with precip but note when the cold air is around, there's not much precip. I think tomorrow morning may see some snow but no big snowstorms around

Sunday snow is back but note how little moisture there is falling. Looks like a cold weekend too

Old 02-20-2023, 03:26 PM

Season snowfall totals so far... NUTS!

Even Hartford is 27 inches below normal

NYC hasn't even gotten 1/2" yet.

Even Africa has more snow than us!

Last edited by Cambium; 02-20-2023 at 04:07 PM..

Old 02-20-2023, 05:18 PM

Cant wait to measure a tenth again.

Rain changes to snow tonight. Should be snowing by daybreak

Video with link

https://twitter.com/RachelFrank_CT/s...b5FJlheFQ&s=19

Old 02-21-2023, 05:57 AM

Another winter day with a "T".

Looks like 1-2" fell in Litchfield County CT.

We'll see what Boston and the burbs get from this.

Bridgeport and Providence didn't report any snowflakes

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut