Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2023, 08:51 PM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

Slow and No hurricanes this whole season. Thank God for Climate Change! Connecticut hasnt even been hit with a NorEaster recently!

Old 08-24-2023, 09:27 PM

975 posts, read 323,889 times
Tropical Storm Franklin is expected to become a hurricane with 110-mph winds by early next week. It looks like it bends out to sea and has no effect on Connecticut, but it does look to kick up surf along the East Coast. We might even see a few tide cycles here in CT above normal:

Attached Thumbnails
Connecticut Weather Discussion 3-trh.jpg   Connecticut Weather Discussion 3-hyc.jpg  

Old 08-25-2023, 05:20 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Temp departures this month..... Look at that, most of the country near normal or below normal including CT. We're saved! Maybe our Climate stopped changing?

Avg Temp This month so far:

Bridgeport 73.1° : -1.8 below normal
Hartford 71.4° -1.6 below normal

And past 60 days. CT Normal/Slightly above. Only small areas are well above normal.

Old 08-25-2023, 07:06 AM

6,588 posts, read 4,975,313 times
Oh look, it's raining again! It also rained 3 times yesterday and it wasn't supposed to. I did manage to get a few weeds pulled before it started.

Old 08-25-2023, 07:24 AM

6,126 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Temp departures this month..... Look at that, most of the country near normal or below normal including CT. We're saved! Maybe our Climate stopped changing?

And past 60 days. CT Normal/Slightly above. Only small areas are well above normal.
I know you're smart enough to know the difference between climate and weather. Forget the media hype, I think it's pretty clear that much of the lower half of the US is going through an undeniably extended stretch under the heat dome. And you have to look at mean temps, spatially and temporally averaged, year over year. The trend is pretty clear, we can of course argue over root causes. We were lucky this summer here in the Northeast, but we're hardly representative.

Old 08-25-2023, 10:55 AM

975 posts, read 323,889 times
Not that this has anything to do with the climate change debate...but it does seem like we go from a few months above normal to a few months below normal...then back again.

I just read that they (NOAA) think the El Nino will persist through fall and winter 2023/2024. NOAA long range is showing they think a high chance of warmer than normal Nov - Jan. If this is true, we are in for another winter of sunshine and 50 F temps:

Attached Thumbnails
Connecticut Weather Discussion 3-tw.jpg  

Old 08-25-2023, 03:00 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonusa3 View Post
While I agree that there is climate change going on (and likely caused by man), I also think we forget that there is always years, groups of years, decades…etc. that are warmer/cooler than normal. While this is true in every climate zone, this especially true in the middle latitudes. The jet IS suppressed a bit to the south this summer season, but there were years when it was unusually north of where it should be as well. Look at this past winter (2022/2023)….many of us were happy that the patten was the opposite, the cold stayed bottled up to the north.

I’ll take 80’s F in summer instead of 90’s F…. if it means the snow/cold stays up in Canada and the north.

In a given place, of course. I even noted in my reply that the US is a small enough piece of the world's area that there are times where more than half of it, even most of it has below normal temps (and I will actually credit Cambium on his post showing more than half the country currently below normal that all the news is on the dome of heat in TX and LA.....but of course a day before it was most of the Midwest as well....Chicago had it's first 100 degree day in over a decade (however, historically that frequency is actually a little below normal there)).....and New Orleans tieing it's all time high of 102 and shattering the number of 100 degree days this year is significant.

But the real point to your statement I bolded is that again, this is true in a given location, but when you average out the world as a whole at any given moment, it's always above normal compared to the recent past and that's the point. Compared to millions of years ago maybe not but back then nature took millenia to change the climate, not decades.

Old 08-26-2023, 12:57 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,147,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

You're still beating the drum of climate change denialism? Come on, this is so 1998. You do know that when they look at temperature, they are averaging out temps across the entire globe over an entire year? So a much more representative sample size?

And playing the cherrypicking game is always a double edged sword. You can tell me about a milder than usual August in CT, but then I can tell you that July was globally the hottest month ever recorded.

Old 08-26-2023, 01:03 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,147,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
In a given place, of course. I even noted in my reply that the US is a small enough piece of the world's area that there are times where more than half of it, even most of it has below normal temps (and I will actually credit Cambium on his post showing more than half the country currently below normal that all the news is on the dome of heat in TX and LA.....but of course a day before it was most of the Midwest as well....Chicago had it's first 100 degree day in over a decade (however, historically that frequency is actually a little below normal there)).....and New Orleans tieing it's all time high of 102 and shattering the number of 100 degree days this year is significant.

But the real point to your statement I bolded is that again, this is true in a given location, but when you average out the world as a whole at any given moment, it's always above normal compared to the recent past and that's the point. Compared to millions of years ago maybe not but back then nature took millenia to change the climate, not decades.
Yes. And when people say the earth has undergone many previous climate changes, they are correct but they always leave out one very crucial point: those periods caused MASSIVE EXTINCTIONS OF SPECIES. It's ultimately not Mother Earth we are trying to protect, she will likely survive until the sun turns into supernova. It's us bipedal, oxygen breathing mammals that are in the much more vulnerable position. The earth is going to survive climate change, but will it survive as a habitable home for us?

Old 08-26-2023, 05:27 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
Yes. And when people say the earth has undergone many previous climate changes, they are correct but they always leave out one very crucial point: those periods caused MASSIVE EXTINCTIONS OF SPECIES. It's ultimately not Mother Earth we are trying to protect, she will likely survive until the sun turns into supernova. It's us bipedal, oxygen breathing mammals that are in the much more vulnerable position. The earth is going to survive climate change, but will it survive as a habitable home for us?

And again we are doing it at a much faster pace than Mother Nature ever did.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut