Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 08:03 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,946,366 times

Advertisements

Agree on Wilton being your best bet. You may also want to look at Ridgefield, especially the southern and western parts of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2019, 01:54 PM

222 posts, read 413,589 times
Beware Fairfield taxes. Lots of indicators the already high-ish taxes will rise. I only mention it bc it was called out as a priority. I didn't see a budget but I'd be looking at Wilton or Weston given the priorities I saw listed.

Old 10-13-2019, 05:06 PM

570 posts, read 477,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DairyGodmother View Post
Beware Fairfield taxes. Lots of indicators the already high-ish taxes will rise. I only mention it bc it was called out as a priority. I didn't see a budget but I'd be looking at Wilton or Weston given the priorities I saw listed.
Umm I think both have higher mill rates than Fairfield. I just read Weston had double digit tax increase. Quote" Weston’s 10.14 increase – its mill rate went from 29.39 to 32.37". How is that better?

Old 10-13-2019, 07:02 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Yank View Post
Umm I think both have higher mill rates than Fairfield. I just read Weston had double digit tax increase. Quote" Weston’s 10.14 increase – its mill rate went from 29.39 to 32.37". How is that better?
That mill rate increase was the result of a re-evaluation of property that occurred this year. Property values went down so the mill rate went up. The actual impact on the taxes paid on a home is marginal at best. A quick look at taxes actually paid shows there being a VERY modest increase. As you can see though the assessed value of homes have gone down. Jay

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...57410353_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...57408566_zpid/

Old 10-13-2019, 07:35 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
That mill rate increase was the result of a re-evaluation of property that occurred this year. Property values went down so the mill rate went up. The actual impact on the taxes paid on a home is marginal at best. A quick look at taxes actually paid shows there being a VERY modest increase. As you can see though the assessed value of homes have gone down. Jay

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...57410353_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...57408566_zpid/
Yep. A 6% decrease in assessment.

And one of those homes sold for 890 in 2005, and they are now asking 699, with the likelihood of the closing price being even lower. Man - that’s terrible.

Old 10-13-2019, 07:37 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,185,943 times
Taxes will go up in every town. Fairfield is not unique. Rent first. Prices are dropping still. Finding where you should live from strangers on the internet! Each town is different and nice in it's own way. You need to decide what is best for you.

Old 10-14-2019, 07:18 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,750,537 times
Quote:
That's correct. Wilton also has a slightly higher mill rate. A buyers not saving a ton in taxes in Wilton-Weston vs. Fairfield. Vice versa.

Old 10-16-2019, 02:30 PM

222 posts, read 413,589 times
Quote:
I suppose I was ASSuming those towns would be better than Fairfield. I know Fairfield are not a good choice for taxes, and that was really my point. When I have shopped/poked around to look at other towns they seem lower, but I guess you are right I really don't know.

Old 10-16-2019, 02:46 PM

83,523 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello13 View Post
. Is the commute that bad even pre 9am?
Yes 100x over.
Leave Wilton 7:30am.
Still in Stamford 8:20am
In Greenwich 8:30am depending where.
And thats without an accident.

With that budget stick to North Stamford if you can.

Also, Port Chester vs points north of Merritt especially Ridgefield are very different in snow. More Hills, snow and ice. Keep that in mind too if you're not familiar with the areas.

Old 10-16-2019, 04:02 PM

4,455 posts, read 3,351,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello13 View Post
My wife and I are living in Port Chester, NY and are looking to move into CT due to getting a little more land/bigger house, lowering our taxes and finding a good school for our future children

Not knowing much about the areas we're bordering on the Fairfield line, which keeps us relatively close to NY. Right now i work out of Stamford and my wife is a teacher with a little more flexibility of moving her job

Are there any resources out there to tell us about some of these areas?

Right now we're looking at Bethel, Ridgefield, Redding, Weston, Wilton. Even a little more East with Milford/Shelton.

We're trying to prioritize the school district due to our want for kids, but also don't want to pay too high in property taxes.

Any information would be helpful as we're just starting out.

Thank you
I was born and raised in Stamford and now my husband and I live in Trumbull where we could afford a house. We commuted to Stamford by car for over 10 years until we found jobs up in our area. I would not wish that commute even on my worst enemy.

Strike Milford, Shelton, Bethel and Redding right off the list.

Here is what I would focus on.
*The lower left portion of Ridgefield. You can get over to route 123 (avoiding the terrible traffic on Route 7 and the Merritt Parkway) down into Stamford.
*Wilton and the lower western portions of Weston. If the Merritt Parkway is bad you can take Route 106 into Stamford.

I still have lots of relatives and still go to Stamford all the time. I know all the different ways to go on the back roads. The southern portion of Wilton would be good because Route 7 becomes a highway in the northern part of Norwalk. In the morning going south bound there is 4 lanes to get into Stamford starting about in Darien. Once you hit the 4 lanes point the traffic flows better.

Please tell me if your job is in the northern or southern part of Stamford and what general area so I can refine my advice.

Also please let me know if your company has a shuttle from the train station to your company. That way it might be feasible to live near the train station in Fairfield on or close to Mill Plain Road (where you are about 5 minutes from the station). You can have a decent commute in a great town on the water with excellent schools. Some days I used to take the train in Fairfield (Mill Plain Road station) when I was late* and the commute was not bad at all. My company had a shuttle first up to High Ridge Road and then they moved to the end of Canal Street. It was pretty nice actually.

*My husband gave me a firm time to be in the car and if I was not in the car he would leave lol.

So here is some bad news for you. I saw you mention that you have working hours of 7:30 to 4:00. In Fairfield County the rush hour is about 6:30 to 9:30 am in the morning and about to about 3:00 to 7:00 pm in the evening. On Friday's when the New Yorkers are heading points north to get away for the weekend even longer in the evening. Fridays in the nice weather are horrible, horrible and more horrible.

$700,000 is a good amount and you should get into a nice town with a fairly good commute.

What is the highest amount you want to pay in taxes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut