Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2020, 08:59 AM

4,451 posts, read 3,344,634 times

Advertisements

I called my plumber up for a little job. He said "I can't come, I just moved to Tennessee". I said to him "Wow, I didn't know you wanted to move" (he is only 60). He said to me "I didn't either until my wife and I saw how hot the market was in Trumbull. We decided last month to sell the house and it sold right away. Now I will take life easy and work when I want".

Fairfield County is hot, hot, hot if people are making those kind of split second decisions.

Old 09-02-2020, 09:01 AM

70 posts, read 40,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
I called my plumber up for a little job. He said "I can't come, I just moved to Tennessee". I said to him "Wow, I didn't know you wanted to move" (he is only 60). He said to me "I didn't either until my wife and I saw how hot the market was in Trumbull. We decided last month to sell the house and it sold right away. Now I will take life easy and work when I want".

Fairfield County is hot, hot, hot is people are making those kind of split second decisions.
yeah could be a lot of people in CT that are taking up the opportunity while their values are high to sell and move somewhere else cheaper.

Old 09-02-2020, 09:15 AM

21,732 posts, read 28,065,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shartnado42 View Post
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...obility-surges

Connecticut was ranked #4 on more moves out of state than coming in since Pandemic and also wasnt mentioned as one of the top destinations for New Yorkers fleeing (was Texas, Florida, North Carolina, and California).
Not sure why anyone would consider these private companies as a legit data source.

Isn’t United more popular with long distance moves anyway?

Old 09-02-2020, 10:00 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,918,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shartnado42 View Post
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...obility-surges

Connecticut was ranked #4 on more moves out of state than coming in since Pandemic and also wasnt mentioned as one of the top destinations for New Yorkers fleeing (was Texas, Florida, North Carolina, and California).

Here we go yet again.

This is a VERY flawed analysis. It is based on the experience of just one moving company. It is not comprehensive or complete. Plus what this does not consider is that people in affluent states like Connecticut are more likely to use a large moving company. The experiences of smaller companies could be very different.

I wish these stupid moving companies would stop spreading flawed analyses and that even stupider media would stop promoting them like they have any validity. Jay

Old 09-02-2020, 10:10 AM

6,887 posts, read 3,732,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post

Here we go yet again.

This is a VERY flawed analysis. It is based on the experience of just one moving company. It is not comprehensive or complete. Plus what this does not consider is that people in affluent states like Connecticut are more likely to use a large moving company. The experiences of smaller companies could be very different.

I wish these stupid moving companies would stop spreading flawed analyses and that even stupider media would stop promoting them like they have any validity. Jay
The one who posted clearly hasn't been paying attention the last few months.
Poor effort. Even City Data's not immune.

Old 09-02-2020, 03:14 PM

193 posts, read 372,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott R View Post
I can provide one datapoint: the house we bought in West Simsbury (around Nov 2008) for $400K currently has property taxes of about $8900. They were actually a bit higher when we purchased the house, but we were able to challenge the tax assessment and get them lowered a little.

To JayCT: Yes, I do think we can sell it fairly quickly if it's "priced right". My concern is that compared to what else I'm currently seeing on Zillow, the "right price" may be less than $400K, which hurts because when we bought it for $400K around Nov, 2008 the house needed a *lot* of work (which we later did), the housing market had already started to crash (hadn't hit bottom yet), and it doesn't seem like Simsbury recovered as well as other towns. So, basically we bought for $400K, spent at least $50K on it, and now are facing possibly having to sell for less than $400K.
Just circling back here...

We closed on our new house in Niantic, and had our old house listed for sale about a week later, on a Friday. We had several people come see it on Fri, Sat, and Sun, and had 3 offers, one of which we used as leverage to get another potential buyer to up their offer. I'm still 2nd-guessing whether we listed it too low, but our house is unusual, so I worried that comps/appraisal could be a problem, and the Simsbury market just didn't seem to be commanding high prices.

We paid considerably more for the new house, despite the old house having several things about it that were larger or better, but the new house has some other features that are better than the old house. The biggest factor in the difference in price would likely be that our new house has water views and access to a small/shared/somewhat-under-the-radar dock. So, the house and lot size are probably more valuable with the old house, but the location/view/dock help me to justify the extra cost of the new house.

Old 09-04-2020, 12:06 AM

21,732 posts, read 28,065,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwv988 View Post
Very few good food options.
Sounds like you weren’t looking in the right place in 7 months of weekdays. And a big portion of the food options in NYC are either overpriced or overhyped...

Also, weird flex talking about the superiority of NYC, in a thread about our state currently being flooded by NYers. Which isn’t something new, but has been accelerated by a future of WFH. Many people settled down here from the city for generations, and more are now coming.

Old 09-04-2020, 05:27 AM
80s

34 posts, read 24,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwv988 View Post
I lived in CT for 7 months while working for Bridgewater. I still kept my coop in NYC. So I went back to NYC every weekend. Eventually I got sick of CT, started commuting from NYC every day. That's when I realized things wouldn't work. So I left my cushy job at BW.

CT is boring as hell. Very few good food options. That's why it's cheap. Nobody wants to live up there. The novelty of living in the country wears off pretty quickly.
One man's boring is another man's bliss. You couldn't pay me enough to move back to the city.

Old 09-04-2020, 05:32 AM

83,509 posts, read 75,269,804 times
Indirectly related for sure. This is why good, smart, normal people are moving out of NYC and into the suburbs. From the Looting to the rowdy disrespectful protestors blocking streets. People trying to live their life working trying to get home and these guys are disrupting our lives.

https://twitter.com/datainput/status...74733172338688

Old 09-04-2020, 06:03 AM

83,509 posts, read 75,269,804 times
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/02/manh...e-suburbs.html

Manhattan apartment deals fall 31% while sales boom in the suburbs

"Westchester County saw its strongest growth in homes priced at more than $1 million, which more than doubled over last year. And in Greenwich, Connecticut, the number of deals over $4 million increased six-fold compared with last year."

I know people who were paying $5000/mth in rent to live in NYC. If they can afford that, they for sure can afford an expensive home in the burbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut