Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2020, 07:54 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,832,812 times

Advertisements

Run,

In the store's announcements the arrows were intended to get some distance in narrow aisles. One way down so there's no jostling past, the other way down the next aisle.

Yes, coughing droplets hang for several minutes aerosolized and can spread which is why we should all be masked, to protect others from our spew as well as ourselves from others.

I'm particularly vulnerable having had a hard to eradicate case of pneumonia in my early 30s and don't do respiratory illness well since. Doubtful I'll go back to that store any time soon. IMO Costco handled it better 3 weeks ago. They were limiting the number of people in the store , plus their super wide spaces which was very helpful to distance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2020, 08:01 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post

The stop at the grocery store was appalling. All the things you mentioned. The store was trying, wiping carts, installing one way arrows, making announcements but people were entirely thoughtless, a few defiant, disregarding all of their methods to enhance social distancing. One woman was literally touching EVERYTHING in the canned tomato aisle, No mask no gloves, bought none of it. I finally had to ask her to not touch things she wasn't planning to buy. Another was coughing continuously at the self checkout. We moved to the far checker. .
Yup, I seen someone coming down the isle on the phone and without a mask and I turned around to go another way. It's really sad we're at this point but its disgusting how disrespectful people are. Just stop talking when you're in stores!!! On a normal day I love interacting and joking with people but stop trying to talk to me while waiting on line!! I havent been to supermarket in 3 weeks now. Home Depot is similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
This may be what state and federal governments are starting to think. Well see how this all plays out during May.....
Hope its not the case. In one way I think we're overblowing this whole thing because there should be ton more cases around given how many people are still out and shopping. On the other hand I need to protect myself and family.

Old 04-15-2020, 08:07 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Here's another thought........

Stores are busy. Home Depot, Lowes, Supermarkets, Costco, Walmart, ect. Some aren't wearing masks and gloves still. Even some employees!

Even though we're using social distancing, people are touching products, breathing, and some even more annoying chatting away (Just close your mouth!! Why do people feel the need to talk while in stores?!)

So who's to say that the virus wont show up in a week or 2 from the people that were there yesterday. Or the day before. Ect,

I guess we would be seeing an increase if this was the case and we aren't and there's been so many people in those stores past 4 weeks.

So essentially doesn't that mean we can all just start shopping again???!! As long as we wear masks and stay 6+ away!???

My point is.... if so many people are in those stores and we aren't seeing an increase in positive cases or hospitalizations, then why cant we all do it??!
Stores have never stopped being busy and are proliferating the spread since there are so many asymptomatic spreaders.

Old 04-15-2020, 08:09 AM

6,568 posts, read 4,962,654 times
Quote:
Yup, I seen someone coming down the isle on the phone and without a mask and I turned around to go another way. It's really sad we're at this point but its disgusting how disrespectful people are. Just stop talking when you're in stores!!! On a normal day I love interacting and joking with people but stop trying to talk to me while waiting on line!! I havent been to supermarket in 3 weeks now. Home Depot is similar.

Hope its not the case. In one way I think we're overblowing this whole thing because there should be ton more cases around given how many people are still out and shopping. On the other hand I need to protect myself and family.
Home Depot in Glastonbury has been limiting how many people can be in the store at once. Is yours doing the same?

I've seen on local pages that people were not following the arrows in the grocery stores. Even while walking outside, I will cross the street if I see someone coming towards me.

Old 04-15-2020, 08:12 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,204,630 times
Update from my sister in Yale NH Hospital just now:
Since March 14th, there have been 676 discharges from COVID and they will be ok.
Yesterday were 47 of them. I am trying to hang on to anything positive regarding this. So now I personally know 6 people with COVID, 5 are now recovered. 1 did not make it I just found out yesterday.

Old 04-15-2020, 08:31 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
Quote:
Run,

In the store's announcements the arrows were intended to get some distance in narrow aisles. One way down so there's no jostling past, the other way down the next aisle.

Yes, coughing droplets hang for several minutes aerosolized and can spread which is why we should all be masked, to protect others from our spew as well as ourselves from others.

I'm particularly vulnerable having had a hard to eradicate case of pneumonia in my early 30s and don't do respiratory illness well since. Doubtful I'll go back to that store any time soon. IMO Costco handled it better 3 weeks ago. They were limiting the number of people in the store , plus their super wide spaces which was very helpful to distance.
Makes sense

Old 04-15-2020, 08:54 AM

1,241 posts, read 901,324 times
Homemade and surgical masks are much more about protecting others if you are infected or asymptomatic versus protecting you from others. And the science on how well homemade masks actually work isn't inspiring if you are placing a ton of faith in their efficacy.

Quote:
Run,

Old 04-15-2020, 09:28 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,941,124 times
At the end of the day, all you can do is take reasonable precautions. Wash your hands, don't touch your face and keep your distance. But there are still people out there who are unable to do these basic things. I really don't like the mask guidance for the average person, as it forces you to touch your face to put it on and adjust it, and gives people a false sense of security.

Old 04-15-2020, 09:42 AM

11,292 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:

No I meant that I think cases may be down enough by then (but far from gone) that there will be a lot of talk of what can we do to make the lockdown, etc. a lot more limited but while still being careful. I doubt we'll have large events like pro sports, etc. for a long time but I think you will see more stores open worst case by Memorial Day weekend and maybe even restaurant seating in some limited way (though I imagine it would be hard to keep a mask on seated to eat).

Old 04-15-2020, 10:07 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
I just found out another family member who is in a highly risky essential job has come down with symptoms and is being tested this morning. She is in eastern Connecticut. What disturbed me is that she began her symptoms with not being able to taste or smell but they would not test her until she had more significant ones. I would think the doctor’s would be more cautious with high risk workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut