Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2020, 03:38 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
Going back to the mask thing, 2 examples come to mind. My sister literally was around dozens of covid patients during the peak in Yale. 12 hours with masks. She never got infected. Another friend is an ICU nurse in a large Yonkers hospital that was hit hard during that time. She never got infected. I don't get how people think masks don't help when every Dr in the world would probably tell you otherwise. Not trying to argue, just trying to understand. Didn't the CDC come out with something last week stating data shows mask protect both people? I have to look for it.
There is a massive difference between a properly worn N95 (and likely face mask) in a medical setting and the average drafty surgical mask or porous cloth mask that most people have.

It’s pretty well established that these masks don’t protect the wearer, they protect others from the wearer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2020, 03:59 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,206,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
There is a massive difference between a properly worn N95 (and likely face mask) in a medical setting and the average drafty surgical mask or porous cloth mask that most people have.

It’s pretty well established that these masks don’t protect the wearer, they protect others from the wearer.
I get that. I just cant imagine that 2 people wearing masks would not protect both though. How could it not. There is a huge difference in masks that I know. I try to buy masks that are 4 layers of cotton. The more the merrier I guess. I also use N95 material filters in the filter pocket. Yes, they make N95 material filters btw. It has to count for something because again......I had direct exposure not once here but twice(May and October) and I did not get sick so something is working with mask wearing.

Old 11-20-2020, 04:24 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
I get that. I just cant imagine that 2 people wearing masks would not protect both though. How could it not.
That doesn’t contradict what I said

It just may not protect them much if there’s virus in the air

Old 11-20-2020, 05:34 PM

496 posts, read 445,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Just as I have suggested since day one of this pandemic, I think you need to turn off the news. Take a breath. They are getting the best of you by creating fear. Fear and panic lead to irrationalism. The mainstream media is not your friend.

I’m not sure what you expect the citizens of this country to work together on. Most states, even though there’s no actual mandate, have widespread mask usage. Social distancing is a thing. What more do you want? Another lockdown? What else? It’s a genuine question.
I agree. I think the best advice is to turn off the news and forget about COVID for a while. I followed COVID closely all through March, April, May... I was worrying myself to death in depression.

My advice is to just forget about COVID. Don't give it the time of day. Wear your mask, distance, wash your hands, etc, but realize the virus isn't going to just disappear - it's a virus. There's always going to be cases. Nobody working together can completely stop that, and you can only control what you do. Find a hobby or something else to keep your mind off of it.

Old 11-20-2020, 05:49 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,746,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post

Droves of people are out every week in bars and restaurants and home gatherings. No sonner are they seated at tables the masks come off faster than a cheap suit. Right there you have 20-30 people sitting in a small 1000 sq ft radius. At home gatherings, their initially masking and distancing but after two beers or glasses of wine the masks have been completely discarded. Nobody cares, it's all for show. I've seen personnel from both party affiliations act in this manner.

Old 11-20-2020, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsgoingon4 View Post
I agree. I think the best advice is to turn off the news and forget about COVID for a while.
I did that in June. What took you so long

Old 11-20-2020, 06:00 PM

145 posts, read 79,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Droves of people are out every week in bars and restaurants and home gatherings. No sonner are they seated at tables the masks come off faster than a cheap suit. Right there you have 20-30 people sitting in a small 1000 sq ft radius. At home gatherings, their initially masking and distancing but after two beers or glasses of wine the masks have been completely discarded. Nobody cares, it's all for show. I've seen personnel from both party affiliations act in this manner.
Yep, I actually agree with this. I can’t say it’s happening everywhere but why wouldn’t it be.

Last night I stopped to get gas and inside there were two men buying things, no masks, store clerk no mask and did not put one on when checking them out. I was legitimately confused

Old 11-20-2020, 06:03 PM

943 posts, read 410,163 times
You might be able to forget until it hits your spouse or parent or whoever else you love most.

Old 11-20-2020, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach5 View Post
You might be able to forget until it hits your spouse or parent or whoever else you love most.
Isn't that true for...well, literally everything.

Old 11-20-2020, 06:28 PM

496 posts, read 445,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Isn't that true for...well, literally everything.
Yep, with that kind of thinking I should worry about Alzheimer's, heart attack, stroke, car crash, house fires, etc. There no shortage of things to worry about 24/7 which will probably just cause me to have a heart attack, stroke or high blood pressure myself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut