Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2020, 09:05 AM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
I have a bunch of friends with your thought process as well. To each his own, it's definitely not mine.. But right now I have 6 people I know personally with it. 5 recovered, the other died Monday. All who survived it told me it was awful to go through and way worse than the flu. They were the lucky ones. When people say it's like having a bad flu or its like the flu but worse, think about those words......because if you ever had the flu, who wants something worse? This is worse than the flu and different than the flu and far more contagious.
Those are just the ones that know they have it.

The ones with no or minor symptoms are far greater, and not in the numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2020, 09:27 AM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneMeyer View Post
Covid hasn't even peaked yet. It's still circulating.
There is no indication of that because testing is imperfect/incomplete and you can test positive for up to a month.

New cases are definitely dropping across the country. The most important measure is the percentage of positive tests are decreasing.

Deaths are on a 2-4 week delay. Hospitalizations at least 1 week.

Old 04-16-2020, 10:08 AM

1,241 posts, read 902,829 times
Given that a vaccine is likely 12-14 months away-barring a miracle- people will have to go back out before then or the economy collapses. There is no way to keep things closed down until a vaccine is developed. No way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneMeyer View Post
You want to organize a protest fine but then sign a waiver refusing hospital or medical care when you inevitably get sick.

Covid hasn't even peaked yet. It's still circulating. You can try to open the state back up if you want but do you really think people are going out there until there is a vaccine. You know positive cases and death rates will keep rising.

Old 04-16-2020, 10:24 AM

1,395 posts, read 1,510,896 times
From what I am hearing from friends still working in essential high risk jobs like healthcare nobody seems to be getting sick. Like everyone was expecting this to spread like crazy and it isnt. My cousin said not a single person has been out sick at her grocery store.

If you look at CT's stats like 80% of the people dying are in 70-80+ age group. Look at how low (single digits) the death rate is for younger people. Only a single person in the 20-29 age group has died. Could very well be a fluke and nobody has died in that age group. The death rate appears to be so low for the working age population at least here in CT. Its terrible that people are dying but to keep the economy shut down is having far worse consequences I feel.

Old 04-16-2020, 10:34 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
I still think the Government could of been ready for this ages ago

If there was a VAT/sales tax and UBI think situation would be less stressful for those struggling financially

Can't place blame and learn from this

We definitely need some type of emergency UBI just to get us through till the end of the year

https://www.wbtv.com/2020/04/15/stim...rep-ryan-ohio/

Last edited by RunD1987; 04-16-2020 at 10:51 AM..

Old 04-16-2020, 10:37 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I still think the Government could of been ready for this ages ago

If there was a VAT/sales tax and UBI think situation would be less stressful for those struggling financially

Can't place blame and learn from this

We definitely need some type of emergency UBI just to get us through till the end of the year
If they had a VAT that money would not have been banked for a rainy day. We only know how to spend. Dream on!

Old 04-16-2020, 12:56 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Interestingly, Cuomo in his daily briefing today said that R0 in NY is currently 0.9. Now that can be great in that it means it's not being spread and the numbers will start to go down fast or not good if (as someone said here a few pages ago) you want R0 to be high if you think that will let it quickly (harmlessly?) spread through the population and that a low R0 will keep us the way we are for a much longer period of time to avoid more spreading. I don't know how he came up with that figure, but he said if it went back up to 1.2 or higher it would mean it's spreading again.

Old 04-16-2020, 12:58 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
I have deleted a number of off topic posts. This thread is to discuss the Covid-19 virus here in Connecticut only. If you wish to discuss other aspects of the virus and the politics involved you should seek out those forums and threads. JayCT, Moderator

Old 04-16-2020, 01:07 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
May 20 to May 27 CT should follow this when they slowly starting to open the economy state should allow gyms to operate 50-60% capacity. All gyms should check customers temperatures before they come in.

"Berentzen said gyms and fitness centers can only open if they are able to comply with the caveats outlined in the department’s public health order, such as spacing all exercise machines at least 10 feet apart in every direction."

"Employees with any symptoms consistent with COVID-19 are not permitted to work and employees are to conduct screening for patrons by phone or in person before they can enter the facility."

“Social distancing has to be completely implemented all the way through this,” said Berentzen, pointing out that each patron needs to have their own 100 square feet of space."

“That allows us to help monitor distance between people and also make sure equipment is being cleaned and going through all of those steps to make sure we are doing everything that we can,” he explained."

https://www.deseret.com/utah/2020/4/...ial-distancing

Old 04-16-2020, 02:04 PM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
I want you guys to just take a ride and look for yourself. Take a ride to Stamford, Norwalk, Westport. Go down Long Ridge road, CT Avenue, or Post road. You tell me......... would you think there is a "At Home" in progress??? Nope.

I'm truly amazed at how many people are out, and they aren't just driving around. I saw a line at a car wash. Car wash? Is that essential? Lines at Home Depot, parking lot full at Walmart, shopping centers in Stamford busy, one bank had a long line, gas stations had people filling up...... I feel like this is a twilight zone or I am being suckered. I feel like I'm the only one who wants to stay home. The roads feel like a normal day (not the highways, local roads)

I'm at a point where I'm going to just wear a mask and gloves and just do our normal routines while staying 6 feet away from people. Not sure which is more annoying, the virus or the Stay At Home Rule.

If cases and deaths start dropping and we head towards the light at the end of the tunnel you have to agree that most people didn't "JUST" stay home. They still went out and shopped and things still got better..

I urge you to take a ride if you haven't. Not just to the supermarket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut