Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2020, 07:57 PM

21,751 posts, read 28,077,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
Going to read it no, now. Thanks for the info. Don't get me wrong, I definitely think everyone needs to get outside. I just wish more people would do it smarter. Yesterday my doorbell rang and I didn't know how to react. Lol. I opened my door and it was a neighbor.... 70.... No mask.... I cautiously opened my screen door a little and asked why she's not wearing a mask. She said, Oh please....
She talks with my other 2 neighbors, both in their 70s, one with copd and they just stand outside yapping with each other like nothing is going on in the world. The lady with copd, her ex husband just recovered from the virus. It's just crazy where people are at in their head.
You can only keep people cooped up for so long. Outdoors, transmission risk is lower, and even for someone in their 70’s - it’s to be avoided but far from a death sentence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2020, 06:32 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,885,525 times
Quote:
Today obviously was a great day to get outside. My wife has been cooped up inside for a while now so we decided to go walk somewhere other than our complex property. One place we like to go to is a rail trail in Hamden near Quinnipiac. It's usually a calm place.... Bad move.... We pull in and the lot was full so were thinking we'll mask up and distance. Then we saw the ton of people on bikes, roller blades, walking groups.... All on top of each other. We sat in the car and just watched for a few minutes. Not one group of people had a mask on. The groups of people standing next their car was the same situation. The main road driving there was the same thing. Groups of people in parking lots, hanging out, not 6 feet apart and zero masks. We left. Not worth risking it. I honestly don't understand people anymore. It's like a lot of people think because it's warm out that the virus is over. I should be surprised but I'm not, people are extremely stupid and selfish. I stand by earlier comment that we will see a surge come in the next few weeks. I hope I'm wrong but I can't see that it won't happen. Rant over.

I am wondering about that with the masks. I wonder if there is a difference between NY and CT with attitudes towards them. Last weekend I was at Croton Point Park on the Hudson in northern Westchester and I would say it was about 80-90% masks (including many who had it lowered and put it back up when they approach a crowd). Saturday I was at a small park in Yonkers and same thing. Yesterday I was at Bruce Park in Greenwich and was shocked to see it was only like 10-20% masking (and that includes lowering it when not near people). What do you think?

Old 06-01-2020, 06:45 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,206,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
You can only keep people cooped up for so long. Outdoors, transmission risk is lower, and even for someone in their 70’s - it’s to be avoided but far from a death sentence.
I agree, everyone should go out. But my point is people are not following guidelines too much and letting their guard down.

Old 06-01-2020, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I am wondering about that with the masks. I wonder if there is a difference between NY and CT with attitudes towards them. Last weekend I was at Croton Point Park on the Hudson in northern Westchester and I would say it was about 80-90% masks (including many who had it lowered and put it back up when they approach a crowd). Saturday I was at a small park in Yonkers and same thing. Yesterday I was at Bruce Park in Greenwich and was shocked to see it was only like 10-20% masking (and that includes lowering it when not near people). What do you think?
I agree to a point. We closed our retail room at our dealer for now and any order is phone call/then outdoor curbside pick up area. Most of our customers are coming with masks(which is a requirement)and others are not. Friday, a kid in his 20's came to pick up something. i opened my back door and said you need to wear a mask......he looked at me like I had 3 heads. Then he wanted to pay cash, which we stopped taking, and I said credit card only. He reaches into his pocket and goes to hands me his card. I said ,nicely, I won't take it because he has no gloves on......then he reaches into his pocket again and pulls out a crumpled tissue and tries to hand it to me so I can grab his card. I refused. So there are smart people and clueless people. Our protocol is phone in/pay with credit card/pick up parts. Our company wants everything as touchless as possible. I don't know if I could say CT vs NY is different. Near my house it looks like less people wear masks in groups than near my job.

Old 06-01-2020, 08:04 AM

21,751 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
I agree to a point. We closed our retail room at our dealer for now and any order is phone call/then outdoor curbside pick up area. Most of our customers are coming with masks(which is a requirement)and others are not. Friday, a kid in his 20's came to pick up something. i opened my back door and said you need to wear a mask......he looked at me like I had 3 heads. Then he wanted to pay cash, which we stopped taking, and I said credit card only. He reaches into his pocket and goes to hands me his card. I said ,nicely, I won't take it because he has no gloves on......then he reaches into his pocket again and pulls out a crumpled tissue and tries to hand it to me so I can grab his card. I refused. So there are smart people and clueless people. Our protocol is phone in/pay with credit card/pick up parts. Our company wants everything as touchless as possible. I don't know if I could say CT vs NY is different. Near my house it looks like less people wear masks in groups than near my job.
That customer is just being ignorant, although I’ve never been refused for not wearing gloves with credit card. The business owner typically wears them though.

Old 06-01-2020, 08:26 AM

1,241 posts, read 902,557 times
I’m a bit puzzled why you require customers to wear gloves? Is your business providing new gloves for them to put on when they come inside? If not, if someone comes in wearing gloves that they may have been wearing for hours what is the difference between wearing “dirty” gloves or having “dirty” hands?

Quote:

Old 06-01-2020, 09:17 AM

512 posts, read 351,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Greenwich certainly isn't representative of CT. In the Hartford area, mask adoption is high. In grocery stores, on city streets...most are wearing masks. On hiking and walking paths, most people move over to give way and put on a mask if someone is coming towards them.

Old 06-01-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
I’m a bit puzzled why you require customers to wear gloves?
Haha. We don't require them to wear gloves. My thing was I am not being handed a credit card in today's world from your bare hands. I have no idea ,virus or not, where your hands were. Under normal transactions, we have a credit card machine in our closed retail room that is the same as when you go to a grocery store. We never touch a card. That is why ,until the room is ready again, we have customers call in and do the transaction over the phone. Hope that clarifies.

Old 06-01-2020, 10:07 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,885,525 times
Quote:

Well I never said it was 100% in Westchester, just seemed a lot more at the two parks I went to there vs. the park in Greenwich (which now that I think about it had a few NY cars besides mine parked there (and even one NJ plated car), though the clear majority of cars were CT plates).

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownedbits View Post
Greenwich certainly isn't representative of CT. In the Hartford area, mask adoption is high. In grocery stores, on city streets...most are wearing masks. On hiking and walking paths, most people move over to give way and put on a mask if someone is coming towards them.
Maybe it's more of a "urban vs. suburban" think in both states, the NY park I went to on Saturday was urban, the one I went to last weekend was suburbanish, but it was a week ago and maybe the percentages wearing changed there too

Old 06-01-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
That customer is just being ignorant, although I’ve never been refused for not wearing gloves with credit card. The business owner typically wears them though.
Exactly. We didn't refuse him, I just refused to grab his card. You have to remember most of our customer base down here comes from every hot spot you can name. Not worth the risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut