Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2020, 06:13 PM

21,764 posts, read 28,094,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
I am afraid I have to flat out disagree with Norwalk over Stamford. I really like the city of Stamford a lot. Stamford I feel has a sense of quite a few worlds, and I like the diversity of feeling. Like South central Stamford is very different from Northern Stamford. Stamford coast is nice as well. Also enjoy the Stamford Museum and Nature Center. Norwalk is alright but in my opinion Stamford just has more diversity in different types of areas.
I think the opposite. Stamford kind of blends together for me. Generic city blends into generic suburb in north.

Norwalk has Rowayton, unmatched in coastal charm anywhere in that area. Marvin Beach area is really nice too, and Calf Pasture beats any beach in Stamford. SoNo has sort of a turn of the century industrial charm, and the new construction isn’t as nondescript as in Stamford. Then the Cranbury and Silvermine area has some nice wooded areas and park land. Bits of East Norwalk even have a little small town New England charm (Norwalk Green). Food scene is better too IMO, you’ve got the only real live music venue in the area (Wall St Theater), and 2 Museums (Maritime and Stepping Stones).

Old 04-23-2020, 06:47 PM

6,916 posts, read 3,750,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I think the opposite. Stamford kind of blends together for me. Generic city blends into generic suburb in north.

Norwalk has Rowayton, unmatched in coastal charm anywhere in that area. Marvin Beach area is really nice too, and Calf Pasture beats any beach in Stamford. SoNo has sort of a turn of the century industrial charm, and the new construction isn’t as nondescript as in Stamford. Then the Cranbury and Silvermine area has some nice wooded areas and park land. Bits of East Norwalk even have a little small town New England charm (Norwalk Green). Food scene is better too IMO, you’ve got the only real live music venue in the area (Wall St Theater), and 2 Museums (Maritime and Stepping Stones).
This is why Stylo makes the big bucks here on City Data. He knows what he's talking about. He breaks it down. Does the heavy lifting. He's the Lou Gerhig to JayCT's Babe Ruth. He's rock steady reliable.

For me it's Stamford's less than stellar citizenry thats offputting to me. On both the high and low end economic scale.
I'm not sure there's a hotter real estate market in the Stub (right now too, virus be dammned) than East Norwalk and the Marvin beach he mentions.

Old 04-23-2020, 08:39 PM

9,763 posts, read 7,475,048 times
Fairfield County

Westport vs Trumbull. Trumbull is going to lose probably (though it has gotten a few votes the last couple days so maybe closer than I think, you know the actual vote tally Danny K??) so I'll throw a homer sympathy vote to the home town.

Brookfield vs Greenwich. Less snobby

Fairfield vs Stamford. This is a tough one. Stamford gets the plus side for NYC access, Chelsea Piers & that area, North Stamford is nice. I'm going with another homer pick; Fairfield is closer, I coach in Fairfield, so I spend more time in Fairfield than Stamford, so that gets the edge for me.

Weston vs Ridgefield. I like Weston, but more going on in Ridgefield.

New Haven County

New Haven vs Middlebury. Sorry Middlebury, I like you, but no match vs. New Haven

Branford vs Guilford. Very, very difficult, maybe the toughest pick. Guilford has the downtown green, maybe the better waterfront, but I think Branford beats it in the rest, so I'll give them the edge.

Madison vs North Haven. I'll take the suburb over the urban area.

Wallingford vs Milford. Most of my AAU team's practices are in Wallingford @ Choate so unlike in the last tournament I have a better like of Wallingford since I've actually driven through there a lot in the last couple of years, but not picking against Milford.

Hartford County

Glastonbury vs Rocky Hill. More going on in G'Bury.

West Hartford vs Wethersfield. I'll give Wethersfield the edge with Old Wethersfield.

Avon vs Simsbury

Newington vs Farmington. I'll pick Farmington for Unionville.

Middlesex County

Old Saybrook vs Middletown

Essex vs Cromwell

New London County

Montville vs Stonington

North Stonington vs Groton

Preston vs Waterford

Lyme vs East Lyme

Litchfield County

Kent vs New Hartford

Litchfield vs Washington

New Milford vs Woodbury

Bridgewater vs Roxbury

Tolland County

Tolland vs Mansfield

Hebron vs Ellington

Windham County

Woodstock vs Thompson

Ashford vs Pomfret

Old 04-23-2020, 09:45 PM

2,192 posts, read 1,645,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Fairfield County

Westport vs Trumbull. Trumbull is going to lose probably (though it has gotten a few votes the last couple days so maybe closer than I think, you know the actual vote tally Danny K??) so I'll throw a homer sympathy vote to the home town.
Westport is currently winning by 13-5. Trumbull got a few votes, but I am not sure if it's really enough unless we have a drastic number of more voters and they all vote Trumbull. Very unlikely I'm afraid. Even if we do have 8 more voters, the chances of them all voting Trumbull over Westport are very slim. Sorry, I'm afraid you might be out of luck on this one

Old 04-24-2020, 09:48 AM

Deadline is 8:00pm tonight. Be sure to get those last minute votes in!

Old 04-24-2020, 11:50 AM

Changing my vote from New Milford to Woodbury. Really tough call for me in the beginning, but after thinking about it, Woodbury is just closer in proximity and has a water park right next door!

Old 04-24-2020, 12:44 PM

34,940 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Changing my vote from New Milford to Woodbury. Really tough call for me in the beginning, but after thinking about it, Woodbury is just closer in proximity and has a water park right next door!
Woodbury is closer to what? Not Danbury. Not Fairfield County. Not New York. Both are kind of removed from major highways but New Milford to me seems more like a complete New England town. The town green is stunning and has actually been used in movies. Tough call. Jay

Old 04-24-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Woodbury is closer to what? Not Danbury. Not Fairfield County. Not New York. Both are kind of removed from major highways but New Milford to me seems more like a complete New England town. The town green is stunning and has actually been used in movies. Tough call. Jay
Waterbury is just a few miles away with many amenities when it comes to shopping and dining. Waterbury is definitely not a very pleasant city to be around, but it does have almost everything you need. Parts of New Milford are in close proximity to Danbury, but that really depends on where in New Milford as it is the town with the largest area in CT. I agree that New Milford edges out the charm, which is why it was a really tough choice, but I've been going back and fourth about it throughout the past few days. However the Quassy Amusement and Waterpark is right on the border of Woodbury and Middlebury and I really enjoy that place, which is why Woodbury edged it out for me in the end.

Old 04-24-2020, 01:37 PM

21,764 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
They both have pretty town centers. Woodbury's is a bit more quaint. I chose Woodbury because of its general charm. But New Milford has a lot of really nice spots. Gaylordsville and northern New Milford in general is really pretty.

I agree New Milford has far more conveniences and is closer to things.

Old 04-24-2020, 01:38 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,040,797 times
The green in NM is great, but Woodbury has a stronger sense of history, better restaurants in good times, and a better food supply chain in bad times. Lots of the grads of Woodbury's FFA program have stayed local, and are doing a tremendous job right now in feeding the local area and providing raw goods to companies that need them to provide things like hand sanitizer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut