Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2020, 09:17 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,945,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
I live one house away from Main Street in Trumbull. I was lucky as my neighborhood was already hooked up to the sewers. Here is how Trumbull paid for sewers all over the town.

The people who owned the houses only paid for the section in their own yard. ALL Trumbull residents paid for all the pipes (outside of the houses) all over the town via our taxes. I believe that was bonded for 20 years. That is a reason our taxes are high here but the bonding should be paid off in a few years so I believe it was a good investment in the long run*. The individual home owners had the option of taking loans via the town for 20 (or up to 30 maybe?). If you DID NOT take that option you didn't have to take the sewers...... BUT if the house was ever sold the sewer had to go on the house paid for either the new home owner or the previous one. That is the law.

By this article it looks like the Trumbull sewers were put in the 1+ acre areas in about 2009-2012 so we still have a good way to go on our bonded portion by the town. This article is talking about the sewers in Nichols which is 1+ acre zoning.
https://patch.com/connecticut/trumbu...-north-nichols

I found this article. It is very extension and explains just about everything.
https://patch.com/connecticut/trumbu...t-iv-questions

*I believe sewers give a higher value to a house.

As a reminder (from City-Data)
Trumbull HH Income $117,177
Wilton HH Income $197,673

So what do you think the state is going to say when these wealthy FFC towns cry poverty and say they can't afford sewers (to accommodate affordable housing) when Trumbull put them in the ENTIRE town. "Boo, hoo, hoo...we don't care".
I don't see anything in those links that indicates that the sewers in Trumbull were installed to support an increase in affordable housing. What was the real motivation behind it?

The only good thing about digging everything up for sewers is maybe they can bury the power lines while they're at it.

Old 08-28-2020, 09:25 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,746,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
I don't see anything in those links that indicates that the sewers in Trumbull were installed to support an increase in affordable housing. What was the real motivation behind it?

The only good thing about digging everything up for sewers is maybe they can bury the power lines while they're at it.
Trumbull politicians bedding up contractors, what else would it be. Somebody knew someone.
If that was a rhetorical question, I apologize

Old 08-28-2020, 10:22 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
That's really sad.
No American citizen should be FORCED to do anything. Rich or poor.

You just lost my vote for the City Data Hall of Fame
I disagree. Without forcing people to connect to sewers, towns would never be able to construct sewers anywhere. The town needs to have some type of guarantee that they will be able to pay for the project. This is actually state law and it has been tested in court multiple times and was upheld. And this is the same across the country, not just here in Connecticut.

This is one of those things that happen for the better good of our society. It’s much like our Eminent Domain laws. The Public Good outweighs the individual good. It’s like public schools and public roads. Everyone must pay toward them for the betterment of all.

Sewers are installed usually where multiple septic systems are failing. Failing septic systems pollute the groundwater which impacts all property owners. I think that we can agree that polluting the groundwater is very bad.

There is a long public process a town must go through before installing sewers in a section of town. The town first must study the town and identify the areas which would benefit from sewer installation. Then they must prioritize the projects that would build them. This could take decades to complete.

I know that this sounds very expensive but consider the cost of replacing septic systems. They easily run $25,000 to $30,000 these days. A $22,000 assessment is a bargain in comparison. Plus many mortgage companies will allow a homeowner to roll that assessment into your mortgage. They recognize the value sewers adds to a property.

Also note that a homeowner can apply for an exemption from connecting to a sewer. Some reasons include a prohibitive cost to connect or having a recently rehabbed septic system. I believe income can also be used if the homes septic system is not failing. Yes, the timing is not necessarily great but there’s no way around it. Jay

Old 08-28-2020, 10:36 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,945,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I disagree. Without forcing people to connect to sewers, towns would never be able to construct sewers anywhere. The town needs to have some type of guarantee that they will be able to pay for the project. This is actually state law and it has been tested in court multiple times and was upheld. And this is the same across the country, not just here in Connecticut.

This is one of those things that happen for the better good of our society. It’s much like our Eminent Domain laws. The Public Good outweighs the individual good. It’s like public schools and public roads. Everyone must pay toward them for the betterment of all.

Sewers are installed usually where multiple septic systems are failing. Failing septic systems pollute the groundwater which impacts all property owners. I think that we can agree that polluting the groundwater is very bad.

There is a long public process a town must go through before installing sewers in a section of town. The town first must study the town and identify the areas which would benefit from sewer installation. Then they must prioritize the projects that would build them. This could take decades to complete.

I know that this sounds very expensive but consider the cost of replacing septic systems. They easily run $25,000 to $30,000 these days. A $22,000 assessment is a bargain in comparison. Plus many mortgage companies will allow a homeowner to roll that assessment into your mortgage. They recognize the value sewers adds to a property.

Also note that a homeowner can apply for an exemption from connecting to a sewer. Some reasons include a prohibitive cost to connect or having a recently rehabbed septic system. I believe income can also be used if the homes septic system is not failing. Yes, the timing is not necessarily great but there’s no way around it. Jay
While all valid reasons for putting in sewers, its a local process at the town level and the local politicians are ultimately accountable. What's being proposed now (at least my understanding) is that these local decisions would be wrested from the municipalities and be made at the state level.

Old 08-28-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:

I don't like septic tanks. I don't like the idea of an on site storage facility, not to mention the potential to fail and pollute as you rightfully did, but if someone prefers larger quiet properties with septics away from the main thorofares then they should have it that way. They bought it. They pay the downpayment, mortgage and the town tax. They need to adhere to town buidling codes, that's fine, but no town or State should impose their will.
Apparently Trumbull got into some hot water and investigations over the matter anyway. Bad job all around. Terrible.

Old 08-28-2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
I don't like septic tanks. I don't like the idea of an on site storage facility, not to mention the potential to fail and pollute as you rightfully did, but if someone prefers larger quiet properties with septics away from the main thorofares then they should have it that way. They bought it. They pay the downpayment, mortgage and the town tax. They need to adhere to town buidling codes, that's fine, but no town or State should impose their will.
Apparently Trumbull got into some hot water and investigations over the matter anyway. Bad job all around. Terrible.
You seem to be connecting corruption in the issuance of construction contracts with where sewers are being added in Trumbull. The decision as to where sewers are going was made a long time ago. Trumbull, like every town, has a Sewage Master Plan that identifies where those sewers are going. It’s not an arbitrary decision and it hasn’t been made in a vacuum. Please check the link below for a history of that decision. Jay

https://trumbullct.qscend.com/conten...3/default.aspx

Old 09-02-2020, 10:12 AM

4,455 posts, read 3,349,947 times
Quote:
You seem to be connecting corruption in the issuance of construction contracts with where sewers are being added in Trumbull. The decision as to where sewers are going was made a long time ago. Trumbull, like every town, has a Sewage Master Plan that identifies where those sewers are going. It’s not an arbitrary decision and it hasn’t been made in a vacuum. Please check the link below for a history of that decision. Jay

https://trumbullct.qscend.com/conten...3/default.aspx

Trumbull also has a Master Plan of Development also. I have posted it in this thread. That master plan talks about affordable housing in it. Now that there are sewers all over town we can implement that master plan also. In the northern part of Long Hill Trumbull there is now development going on to make "Long Hill Village". If you drive up Main Street you can see all the new construction and ongoing construction in the area of the Long Hill Green. That would not be possible if the sewers weren't up in that area. In the Long Hill Green area it is now zoned for mixed-use (apartments on top of the businesses which are affordable).

IMO if a town has all sewers it's just better. That was one of the pluses when I bought my house near Main Street in the 1990's. It already had a hook up to the sewer lines.

Old 09-02-2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:

Trumbull also has a Master Plan of Development also. I have posted it in this thread. That master plan talks about affordable housing in it. Now that there are sewers all over town we can implement that master plan also. In the northern part of Long Hill Trumbull there is now development going on to make "Long Hill Village". If you drive up Main Street you can see all the new construction and ongoing construction in the area of the Long Hill Green. That would not be possible if the sewers weren't up in that area. In the Long Hill Green area it is now zoned for mixed-use (apartments on top of the businesses which are affordable).

IMO if a town has all sewers it's just better. That was one of the pluses when I bought my house near Main Street in the 1990's. It already had a hook up to the sewer lines.
That answers your question on why Trumbull is targeted for affordable and others aren't when you said "it's not fair". 100% sewers and nat gas is never going to happen in every town. Even the larger ones like Fairfield, Stamford and Norwalk have many many roads without sewers and gas.

Tutto bene
Arrivederci

Old 09-02-2020, 08:37 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,858 times
Quote:

Why is it ‘better’ for a town to have all sewers? Curious statement. Again I don’t have to worry about 50,000 gallons of excrement backing up (or Covid spread - you might want to do some more work here).

Old 09-02-2020, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Why is it ‘better’ for a town to have all sewers? Curious statement. Again I don’t have to worry about 50,000 gallons of excrement backing up (or Covid spread - you might want to do some more work here).
No but you have to worry about a deteriorating septic tank or a failed leaching field and the groundwater pollution they could cause.

I’ve lived with sewers my entire life and we never had a backup. They are very rare. I have several family friends on septic and they’ve spent tens of thousands to repair their system. One couldn’t wait until sewers came to their street and they were very careful about maintaining their system. I will say they were on a half acre and did not have room for a new leaching field. That is why it’s best to have at least an acre is on septic. JMHO, Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut