Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2023, 01:44 PM

21,773 posts, read 28,115,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Grigg, and also Magic Pie for the Stub, but yeah that's about it.
Man this guy knows his stuff.
I don't know any Bridgeport, Shelton, or Stratford, but Fairfield no good so far, basically like Stub.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
I'm going to have to print this out for reference.

I didn't forget about Christos in Wallingford. Going April 29th. Even though it's a Greek name I'll have to have faith.

I can corroborate your people on Grigg.
I forgot about Pepe's for Fairfield, the people I know always order Nauti Dolphin - typcial americanized that's everywhere, and crappy Sammys and these other places like Steffanos - terrible.
Yeah Nauti is nothing special at all. Friends ordered it when I visited their house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2023, 02:46 PM

6,924 posts, read 3,760,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct1615 View Post
I'd like to but ansonia/west haven are a bit of hike for me and I would most likely have to get it to go to bring back to the family.

fairfield has some of the best pizza, Pepe's, Sallys, Colony, fire engine pizza; their loaded mashed potato sounds gimmicky until you try it, it's surprisingly good ( I had my doubts until i tried it)
A couple of months ago on a Saturday we went up to Zuppardis in West Haven just to go to there. Worth the trip.

Ok, with Pepe's and Sally's, Fairfield is a better scene then. Even if they're not as good as the originals, they're better than the rest.
Haven't been to the Fairfield Sally's yet but the Stamford one (2 times there) is not up to par, they do the crust too toasty. You can break a slice apart like toast, you shouldn't be able to do that.
Colony is terrible end of story for me, but people are absolutely out of their minds for it, I get it.
Fire Engine in Black Rock Bridgeport was good too, another I forgot about.
Try Grigg and Magic Pie if you're in the Stub ever.
I'm slowly learning the CT Pizza scene and all it's quirks.

This is so much fun isn't it? Much better than that Desegregate thing, my God, stick a needle in my eye with that thread. Jesus.

Old 03-30-2023, 03:48 PM

847 posts, read 510,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I don't like Sally's Pizza at all. Modern is great though.
I don’t know how that is even possible. I guess if you need your pie covered in cheese and can’t appreciate really good sauce where the tomato is the star of the show. Modern has become my favorite, but Sally’s is special.

I lived in Boston for 20 years. Overall, the pizza game is very weak there. A few good spots exist, but it can’t compare to the pizza quality in CT. I have no dog in this fight. I will back many things about my former home as superior to here, but CT easily wins for both pizza and ice cream. I’d give it the edge for lobster rolls, too.

Old 03-30-2023, 05:27 PM

34,952 posts, read 56,989,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
So Harry’s is more NHV style? The pics do look similar to the non coal oven NHV area spots like Mike’s and Ernie’s.
Yes, it is more New Haven style but without the char. Jay

Old 03-30-2023, 05:33 PM

34,952 posts, read 56,989,667 times
Quote:
I don't like Sally's Pizza at all. Modern is great though.
I have to say I’m surprised. Why? It’s very good and not unlike Modern and Pepe’s. No judgement or argument. Just curious. Jay

Old 03-30-2023, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct1615 View Post
I'd like to but ansonia/west haven are a bit of hike for me and I would most likely have to get it to go to bring back to the family.

fairfield has some of the best pizza, Pepe's, Sallys, Colony, fire engine pizza; their loaded mashed potato sounds gimmicky until you try it, it's surprisingly good ( I had my doubts until i tried it)

Brick Oven in Bridgeport is great, nice chewy crust, their sauce has a kick to it, and not too much cheese. It's my son's favorite, he's about to turn seven and can devour one of their entire pies if we let him.

A lot of fairfield locals love Nauti, I've had it. It's fine but to me does not stand out.
Fire Engine is Bridgeport though, and the others are chains. Fire Engine is opening a location near me in Milford, looking forward to it.

Old 03-30-2023, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Yes, it is more New Haven style but without the char. Jay
Most New Haven spots are light/no char. Sally’s, Da Legna, Pepe’s go heavier.

Old 03-30-2023, 09:46 PM

6,344 posts, read 11,099,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
So Harry’s is more NHV style? The pics do look similar to the non coal oven NHV area spots like Mike’s and Ernie’s.
Yes, it was a NH style pizza. Went twice in the 90's just after they opened up.

Old 03-30-2023, 09:51 PM

6,344 posts, read 11,099,741 times
Quote:
Yeah I agree it was shockingly good! Even the pizza in Simsbury/Avon is all good. You wouldn't think that upscale suburban towns would have good pizza... but in CT they do!
Antonio's is my personal favorite in Simsbury. Have known Steve since we were in high school. The pizza they make now is a little different than what his parents made when they opened up the place in the early 1960's. Was a traditional Greek style pizza at that time and into the 80's. Last time I went to Antonio's a few years back the pizza was a bit different. Still more Greek style than a NY style I would say. Apollo is another traditional Greek pizza in Simsbury and also good. Town Line Pizza which I believe is now defunct also was top notch Greek style. Not sure if anyone does NY style in Simsbury and I don't ever recall any places doing it even though I lived there for 16 years.

Two more Greek places that are quite good are South Main Pizza and Park Lane in West Hartford. Traditional New England Greek style pizza places and South Maine also has some excellent Greek food on the menu or at least they did when I lived there in the 80's and 90's. Great salads as I recall.

Old 03-31-2023, 06:21 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,036,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Antonio's is my personal favorite in Simsbury. Have known Steve since we were in high school. The pizza they make now is a little different than what his parents made when they opened up the place in the early 1960's. Was a traditional Greek style pizza at that time and into the 80's. Last time I went to Antonio's a few years back the pizza was a bit different. Still more Greek style than a NY style I would say. Apollo is another traditional Greek pizza in Simsbury and also good. Town Line Pizza which I believe is now defunct also was top notch Greek style. Not sure if anyone does NY style in Simsbury and I don't ever recall any places doing it even though I lived there for 16 years.

Two more Greek places that are quite good are South Main Pizza and Park Lane in West Hartford. Traditional New England Greek style pizza places and South Maine also has some excellent Greek food on the menu or at least they did when I lived there in the 80's and 90's. Great salads as I recall.
Oh I have to try the pizza there. One of my favorite dishes from Antonio's is the Black Magic. I get it with tortellini. Soooo good. Spicy, just a solid 10/10.

Despite what people may say, Italian food is so hit or miss in NJ. Love me some CT Italian.

The Winged Bear/Maple Tree Cafe also makes an absolute monster of a pizza too... try the Spicy Prosciutto Pizza there. Its Phenomenal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut