Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2021, 08:45 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,746,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudFairfielder View Post
Just so everyone knows the census is intended to count college kids at the place where they go to school (even in 2020). So no, Fairfield doesn't crack the top 10 based on that. In fact that means there are only 50,000 "full time" residents
Ok top 11 or 12. Doubt many college kids fill out census. What's the total enrollment between the two? How many commute in vs live on campus? Hard to blanket assume 10K and 100% census participation, that's a stretch. My guess, 63-65Kish including

I feel like I'm having Deja vu all over again. We may have discussed this before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2021, 09:26 AM

987 posts, read 600,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Ok top 11 or 12. Doubt many college kids fill out census. What's the total enrollment between the two? How many commute in vs live on campus? Hard to blanket assume 10K and 100% census participation, that's a stretch. My guess, 63-65Kish including

I feel like I'm having Deja vu all over again. We may have discussed this before.
I know we have. Anyway college kids do not fill out the census themselves - the university does it for them. See the "Group Quarters" page on the census beraru if you're confused.

Old 05-30-2021, 10:02 AM

4,455 posts, read 3,351,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
It base on July 1, 2019 to July 1st 2020 estimate the official 2020 census coming December 2021-May 2022 it won't be much different in counts. Stamford and New Haven been neck and neck since 2018 with population. Stamford is just 12,000 residents away from begin state largest city.

1. Bridgeport 143, 525
2. Stamford 131, 397
3. New Haven 130,801
4. Harford 121,535
5. Waterbury 106,826
6. Norwalk 88,655
7. Danbury 84,317
8. New Britain 72, 198
9. Meriden 58,981
10. Milford 53, 259

Town of Fairfield 62,215
Town of Greenwich 62, 769
Town of Stratford 51, 660
Town of West Hartford 62, 868
Town of Hamden 60,294
Town of Manchester 57,362

https://www.census.gov/programs-surv...wns-total.html
With all the apartment buildings going up in Stamford I would have thought Stamford would have been closer to Bridgeport. Maybe in the next Census Stamford will surpass Bridgeport unless there is a dramatic change in Bridgeport desirability.

Here is a question for my fellow City-Data posters. What defines a city or town? Population...type of government?
City of Derby................12,339 (Website and Census say city.)
City of Meriden.............60,868 (Website says city but the Census says town.)
City of Shelton.............39,558 (Website and Census says city)
City of Milford...............54,747 (Website says city but the Census says town)
Town of West Hartford....62,965 (Website and Census says town)
Town of Fairfield............62,045 (Website and Census says town. Wow growing so much! I am going to date myself but 30+ years ago it was more of a quaint town.)
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...icut/INC110219

I found this.
"City See also: List of cities in Connecticut
City incorporation requires a Special Act by the Connecticut General Assembly.[citation needed] All cities in Connecticut are dependent municipalities, meaning they are located within and subordinate to a town. However, except for one, all currently existing cities in Connecticut are consolidated with their parent town. Towns in Connecticut are allowed to adopt a city form of government without the need to re-incorporate as a city. Connecticut state law also makes no distinction between a consolidated town-city and a regular town.

There are currently twenty incorporated cities in Connecticut. Nineteen of these cities are coextensive with their towns, with the city and town governments also consolidated. One incorporated city (Groton) has jurisdiction over only part of its town. All cities are treated by the Census Bureau as incorporated places regardless of the settlement pattern."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_...in_Connecticut

So I guess regardless of population any City/Town can define itself as the inhabitants see fit.

Old 05-30-2021, 11:28 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Just so everyone knows the census is intended to count college kids at the place where they go to school (even in 2020). So no, Fairfield doesn't crack the top 10 based on that. In fact that means there are only 50,000 "full time" residents
I don’t think Fairfield University and Sacred Heart University have 12,000 living in their dorms. Remember too that some of SHU’s housing is across the town line in Bridgeport. Jay

Old 05-30-2021, 11:39 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
With all the apartment buildings going up in Stamford I would have thought Stamford would have been closer to Bridgeport. Maybe in the next Census Stamford will surpass Bridgeport unless there is a dramatic change in Bridgeport desirability.

Here is a question for my fellow City-Data posters. What defines a city or town? Population...type of government?
City of Derby................12,339 (Website and Census say city.)
City of Meriden.............60,868 (Website says city but the Census says town.)
City of Shelton.............39,558 (Website and Census says city)
City of Milford...............54,747 (Website says city but the Census says town)
Town of West Hartford....62,965 (Website and Census says town)
Town of Fairfield............62,045 (Website and Census says town. Wow growing so much! I am going to date myself but 30+ years ago it was more of a quaint town.)
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...icut/INC110219

I found this.
"City See also: List of cities in Connecticut
City incorporation requires a Special Act by the Connecticut General Assembly.[citation needed] All cities in Connecticut are dependent municipalities, meaning they are located within and subordinate to a town. However, except for one, all currently existing cities in Connecticut are consolidated with their parent town. Towns in Connecticut are allowed to adopt a city form of government without the need to re-incorporate as a city. Connecticut state law also makes no distinction between a consolidated town-city and a regular town.

There are currently twenty incorporated cities in Connecticut. Nineteen of these cities are coextensive with their towns, with the city and town governments also consolidated. One incorporated city (Groton) has jurisdiction over only part of its town. All cities are treated by the Census Bureau as incorporated places regardless of the settlement pattern."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_...in_Connecticut

So I guess regardless of population any City/Town can define itself as the inhabitants see fit.
Yes, the designation of city or town is based on the form of government. Years ago, cities were the densely developed sections of towns. Eventually here in Connecticut most of the cities grew to incorporate the entire town. I think Groton maybe the only one that it is still separate. Certainly all our big cities did. Jay

Old 05-30-2021, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post

Done. Good work
That and the beholder's eyes. In NH County I only see NH as a real proper city. In FC, Bridgeport and Stamford only for me. YMMV

Old 05-30-2021, 12:04 PM

Quote:
I know we have. Anyway college kids do not fill out the census themselves - the university does it for them. See the "Group Quarters" page on the census beraru if you're confused.
"The university does it for them" Bam! It was THAT easy.

This is why rank and file rookies should never attempt going head to head with Forum legends. It never ends well for them.

SteveM85 - "Why can't I start this lawnmower?"
ProudFairfielder - "There's no gas in the tank"

Old 05-30-2021, 12:30 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
Do everyone sometimes forget that Milford and Shelton are cities ?

Old 05-30-2021, 01:20 PM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
The next census will show CT gain population by 1% but Bridgeport for example more moving out than moving so there net loss.

Not necessarily, remember the point the person you replied to made is the estimates show CT as a state losing population but they didn't. I noticed that NY as a state has well past a million people more in the actual 2020 census results than this "estimate". One reason is the "estimates" show very few places gaining population between 2019 and 2020 (people going elsewhere during COVID?), I noticed in Westchester County only New Rochelle and White Plains gained between those two years but I think because the statewide numbers are significantly higher than the estimates so will most city and town populations.

Quote:

I did not know this. I wonder how many students are "double counted" then as I and most people I know with kids in college have them on their Census forms. I was away in college between censuses but my sister would've been away for the 1990 Census and I remember my parents counting her at home. I figured the logic was you count them at their home address since (in some but not all) places college students can't get drivers licenses or vote in the state they dorm in if it's different from their home state.

Might be tricky for this Census anyway as on April 1, 2020 virtually all college students were home due to COVID.

Old 05-30-2021, 09:13 PM

987 posts, read 600,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Not necessarily, remember the point the person you replied to made is the estimates show CT as a state losing population but they didn't. I noticed that NY as a state has well past a million people more in the actual 2020 census results than this "estimate". One reason is the "estimates" show very few places gaining population between 2019 and 2020 (people going elsewhere during COVID?), I noticed in Westchester County only New Rochelle and White Plains gained between those two years but I think because the statewide numbers are significantly higher than the estimates so will most city and town populations.

I did not know this. I wonder how many students are "double counted" then as I and most people I know with kids in college have them on their Census forms. I was away in college between censuses but my sister would've been away for the 1990 Census and I remember my parents counting her at home. I figured the logic was you count them at their home address since (in some but not all) places college students can't get drivers licenses or vote in the state they dorm in if it's different from their home state.

Might be tricky for this Census anyway as on April 1, 2020 virtually all college students were home due to COVID.
I know that, even for this census, the administration was supposed to handle it (even if the students were home in most of 2020). This is so that a town like Fairfield doesn't have a wild swing in population that would otherwise be deceiving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut