Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2021, 03:56 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,071,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
1. The home in the link IS being restored as a part of the plan. That was the compromise originally met, but even that is getting opposition.

2. The 1700's home was left to family after a death and they decided to tear down and build a new home. I'm not sure what your point is. No kidding it would have cost money to renovate. Obviously they preferred to build new, with a bigger home, than keep it. If it was a historic district, it would've been much more difficult to demolish. That was my point. The house certainly wasn't beyond repair. It would've been cheaper to renovate but they clearly wanted new and more space and didn't care about the history.

They were within their rights, and as a firm believer in ownership rights, I have no issue with their decision. I also, however, would have no issue with the city buying historic properties as they come on the market and preserving them as is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2021, 04:44 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post

My point is that the owner of the property decided not to restore it but to demolish it. That's their right. Creaky wood floors, no vanity bathrooms, tiny closets? 1 bathroom? small separate rooms? No thanks.
It is their right, unless it’s protected. It’s too bad it wasn’t. We don’t have a lot of 18th century homes to preserve.

Old 06-16-2021, 05:34 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,746,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
"The 1700's home was left to family after a death and they decided to tear down and build a new home. I'm not sure what your point is. No kidding it would have cost money to renovate. Obviously they preferred to build new, with a bigger home, than keep it. If it was a historic district, it would've been much more difficult to demolish. That was my point. The house certainly wasn't beyond repair. It would've been cheaper to renovate but they clearly wanted new and more space and didn't care about the history."

My point is that the owner of the property decided not to restore it but to demolish it. That's their right. Creaky wood floors, no vanity bathrooms, tiny closets? 1 bathroom? small separate rooms? No thanks.
That's cosmetics and layout. All can be changed but the real issues lie behind the scenes. Insect, mold, and rodent damage if left unchecked over the years, forget it. See ya.
Bob is right, let towns buy them up and restore but we all know that's not happening. They have enough on their plates. It's up to the buyer/owner to decide what to do with money they worked hard for and there isn't anything anyone can do about it.

Old 06-16-2021, 05:55 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Milford made over one million in profit buying the Jai Alai property and flipping it. Could have bought a few historic homes with it, sat on it, at no cost to the taxpayer.

Old 06-16-2021, 06:29 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,630,556 times
One of the reasons downtown Guilford has been able to keep it going is that people buy historic homes and invest big bucks to modernize the interiors. Some of the larger ones have been converted to multiple units. The costs to do the complete renovation is huge. The houses are typically not insulated to begin with and most of them have stone foundations you would just never see in any other context. But they are charming homes, for sure.

As others have described, some of the best examples have been purchased by the town and preserved as museums. Saves the cost of modernizing, but requires specialized maintenance.

Old 06-18-2021, 01:22 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
So along the same line, the Canton Zoning Board denied a project that would have leveled the wooded ridge outcrop on westbound Route 44 at the town line. The ridge outcrop has long greeted drivers entering the town and the Board felt leveling it would destroy one of the things that gives Canton its unique character. Good for them. Jay

http://ctmirror.org/2021/06/17/canto...elopment-plan/

Old 06-18-2021, 02:43 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
So along the same line, the Canton Zoning Board denied a project that would have leveled the wooded ridge outcrop on westbound Route 44 at the town line. The ridge outcrop has long greeted drivers entering the town and the Board felt leveling it would destroy one of the things that gives Canton its unique character. Good for them. Jay

http://ctmirror.org/2021/06/17/canto...elopment-plan/
I just got back from Canton a few minutes ago and am happy to hear that this project was stopped. Dubious about the future though if that guy wants to appeal it and is still intent on going ahead with it. There is SO much development on rte 44 and alarmingly heavy traffic with way too many accidents. Last thing they need is to wreck the appearance of the entry to their town and add more useless development. I don't think I've ever seen such an overly developed road in my entire life! They even have a huge mall where there was a beautiful golf course a few years ago. Just stop!

Old 06-18-2021, 06:26 PM

98 posts, read 88,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
There is SO much development on rte 44 and alarmingly heavy traffic with way too many accidents.
Is there really? If so, that's a real shame. Growing up in northern Litchfield County, Route 44 was a way of life. It really would suck to see the character of that highway destroyed. The next time I visit my family in Colebrook I oughta head east on 44 just to see for myself.

Old 06-19-2021, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I just got back from Canton a few minutes ago and am happy to hear that this project was stopped. Dubious about the future though if that guy wants to appeal it and is still intent on going ahead with it. There is SO much development on rte 44 and alarmingly heavy traffic with way too many accidents. Last thing they need is to wreck the appearance of the entry to their town and add more useless development. I don't think I've ever seen such an overly developed road in my entire life! They even have a huge mall where there was a beautiful golf course a few years ago. Just stop!
I agree. Route 44 in the Farmington River Valley has grown tremendously over the past couple decades. There was a time that the road only had the bare necessities along it and residents had to leave the valley for larger purchases. That has changed and now resident rarely have to leave for anything. That’s good but it has meant a significant increase in traffic. It’s a trade off. I agree that large scale development needs to be reigned in but I’m not sure there is much land left for that type of development. Jay

Old 06-19-2021, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route7toRoute202 View Post
Is there really? If so, that's a real shame. Growing up in northern Litchfield County, Route 44 was a way of life. It really would suck to see the character of that highway destroyed. The next time I visit my family in Colebrook I oughta head east on 44 just to see for myself.
Route 44 is a long road that traverses much of the state. So you know, we are talking about Route 44 in the Farmington River Valley in the Hartford County town’s of Avon, Simsbury and Canton. That’s about 15 miles south east of Colebrook. Route 44 in Litchfield County has not changed a lot so I wouldn’t worry about it. At least not yet. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut