Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2022, 05:56 PM

2,106 posts, read 977,306 times

Advertisements

Ridgefield keeps up pretty well with preserving Ct history .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2022, 07:00 PM

316 posts, read 130,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior7 View Post
Ridgefield keeps up pretty well with preserving Ct history .
Eh it's questionable. I think it's definitely a goal but sometimes things happen (see the unpermitted demolition of a historic house on new st and the proposed demolition of the Victorian right at the beginning of north Salem Rd). I I think the heart is there in the community but they're often fighting against developers.

Old 07-26-2022, 10:06 AM

57 posts, read 46,868 times
This is a huge problem in Westport. I just moved here a year ago and I have been horrified to see so many historic homes torn down in favor of the hideous “modern farmhouse” McMansions which seem to be so in vogue. I genuinely don’t understand it. I know there is a dearth of vacant land to build on, but it just seems so selfish to destroy a piece of history to build these monstrosities. And by the way, all of the houses in this style (giant white box, stark black windows, steel roof accents, open floor plan) are going to look extremely dated in the next 10, if not 5 years. That style of “architecture” is already going out. Thank God.

Old 07-26-2022, 10:24 AM

6,011 posts, read 2,832,710 times
I wish Americans would take Europe's approach to preserving their history. They rarely let any historic building be demolished...

Last edited by FordBronco1967; 07-26-2022 at 10:33 AM..

Old 07-26-2022, 09:29 PM

6,876 posts, read 3,726,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evitathepup View Post
This is a huge problem in Westport. I just moved here a year ago and I have been horrified to see so many historic homes torn down in favor of the hideous “modern farmhouse” McMansions which seem to be so in vogue. I genuinely don’t understand it. I know there is a dearth of vacant land to build on, but it just seems so selfish to destroy a piece of history to build these monstrosities. And by the way, all of the houses in this style (giant white box, stark black windows, steel roof accents, open floor plan) are going to look extremely dated in the next 10, if not 5 years. That style of “architecture” is already going out. Thank God.
Couldn't disagree more. The modern farmhouses just replaced dilapidated split levels and raised ranches.
They have have a timeless look with simple angles. The garish 90s - 2Ks turet specials are the ones that already look dated nevermind the next 10 years. Those architects were on crack designing all those gables. The Mitre Saw Era.

Old 07-27-2022, 05:01 AM

2,106 posts, read 977,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
I wish Americans would take Europe's approach to preserving their history. They rarely let any historic building be demolished...
But to preserve their history and country side , regular homes are built almost on top of one another ,some just inches apart in London , some US homes have bigger closets than some flats over there., you’re quite posh if you have a garage for your car

Old 07-27-2022, 10:26 AM

6,569 posts, read 4,964,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Couldn't disagree more. The modern farmhouses just replaced dilapidated split levels and raised ranches.
They have have a timeless look with simple angles. The garish 90s - 2Ks turet specials are the ones that already look dated nevermind the next 10 years. Those architects were on crack designing all those gables. The Mitre Saw Era.
Sorry - new builds are replacing anything they can.

Old 07-27-2022, 12:32 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
I agree. I can’t say I’ve seen many, if any, historic homes in Westport demolished for new houses. The town has a very strict ordinance that requires public notice of demolition applications for buildings more than 50 years old. I look at it occasionally. Most, if not all, are post war (WWII) homes. Jay

Old 07-27-2022, 12:52 PM

6,876 posts, read 3,726,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Sorry - new builds are replacing anything they can.
Hopefully they'll start replacing 1990-2010 builds soon. The sooner the better.

Old 07-27-2022, 02:31 PM

57 posts, read 46,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I agree. I can’t say I’ve seen many, if any, historic homes in Westport demolished for new houses. The town has a very strict ordinance that requires public notice of demolition applications for buildings more than 50 years old. I look at it occasionally. Most, if not all, are post war (WWII) homes. Jay
There is an ordinance, but I wouldn’t call it strict. There is public notice and a waiting period and that’s about it. Here are several recent examples from the past year alone. I am not talking about post-war homes. This is something I also follow very closely as a resident and as someone who has previously worked at a historic house museum:

Colonial built in 1910: https://westportjournal.com/realesta...aygoodbye0707/

Cute 1920 house: https://westportjournal.com/realesta...odside-avenue/

Extremely sad demolition of a beautiful 1768 cape: https://westportjournal.com/realesta...rry-lane-east/

Gorgeous 1930 Tudor mansion: https://westportjournal.com/realesta...een-acre-lane/

Two farmhouses circa 1900: https://westportjournal.com/realesta...ow-rocks-road/

Sure plenty of split-levels and ugly post-modern places are being torn down but none of these fit that description. To me, with each 100+ year old house that is torn down rather than restored, a bit of historic character is undeniably lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut