Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2024, 11:17 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I have to agree with you Steve. Many times people’s perception of traffic is influenced by their lack of knowledge of the road they are on. Some of the worst non-expressway traffic in the state is Route 1 from I—95 Exit 39 to Orange. It certainly beats anything in Fairfield or Hartford Counties.

According to CTDOT that section of Route 1 has volumes as high as 27,400 vehicles per day. The highest Route 1 volume in Fairfield is 19,700 vehicles per day in the Center from Reef Road to North Benson Road. The highest volume on Route 1 in Westport is 23,100 vehicles per day west of the Sherwood Island Connector. I also did spot checks of volumes on Route 1 in Downtown Stamford, Norwalk and Greenwich; Route 6 in Danbury; New Britain Avenue by Corbin’s Corner and Westfarms Mall in West Hartford; and Buckland Street and Pleasant Valley Road in Manchester. All were less than Route 1 in Milford.
I hear this a lot from non-residents, but it’s very very rare that it has true traffic with any meaningful delay.

Yes there’s a lot of volume but there’s also a lot of lanes. It flows. Unlike choke points in so many spots in Danbury that had me stressed on a regular basis.

I’ve also been infuriated on Route 1 in Westport during rush hour many times when I drove through there during my commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2024, 11:19 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,633,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I hear this a lot from non-residents, but it’s very very rare that it has true traffic with any meaningful delay.

Yes there’s a lot of volume but there’s also a lot of lanes. It flows. Unlike choke points in so many spots in Danbury that had me stressed on a regular basis.
I really have no clue about Danbury other than I-84 as I very rarely drive through it. However, I know the intersection of I-684 and I-84 in Brewster NY and the stretch of I-84 from Brewster to Danbury is known to be really bad at times. I've been stuck there multiple times.

Old 03-28-2024, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Again though, I have never lived in Milford so I guess it's an unfair comparison because when you live in a place, you see it way more.
That’s just it

Old 03-28-2024, 11:28 PM

Default We Want New Participants

Hey Everyone,

For all those that are lurking around here and have not voted yet, I just want to remind everyone that we want as many voters as possible, and new participants are always encouraged to jump in and start voting on whichever round that we are currently on at ANYTIME!!!! New participants are not only welcome to jump in, but WE WANT them to jump in and participate.

Also, please tell your friends here on the forum about this and try to get other CT forum regulars to jump in and participate!

I am still wondering why the following regulars have not been here yet, as they've participated in previous tournaments and I believe are still fairly regular on the forum:

1. Mike 75
2. Vetgirl2014
3. beerisgood02
4. Wilton2ParkAve
5. whome224
6. RunD1987
7. jwmillion83
8. AK-Cathy
9. basehead617
10. kidyankee764

I know that some people have been turned off by the fact that it is not easy to cast votes on a phone. Unfortunately I cannot really fix that myself as I am not a forum admin, LOL; however, you can just write your votes in your post with the towns you choose! You don't have to bold or underline if another way is easier. I hope to see you jump in later when the rounds are a bit smaller and maybe not so much a hassle.

All that to say, just use your computer! I always use my computer to vote because it's a hassle on a phone!

Kind of a bit off topic here, but I thought phones were originally made for texting and calling people, NOT browsing the internet, etc. This is just a statement; Don't answer or start discussing this subject about phones, as it would be way off topic.

Old 03-29-2024, 04:10 AM

6,873 posts, read 3,726,277 times
Quote:

I’ve also been infuriated on Route 1 in Westport during rush hour many times when I drove through there during my commute.
Yes, FCounty US1 main snarls are rush hour produced, no question.

Old 03-29-2024, 04:17 AM

6,873 posts, read 3,726,277 times
Quote:
Hey Everyone,

For all those that are lurking around here and have not voted yet, I just want to remind everyone that we want as many voters as possible, and new participants are always encouraged to jump in and start voting on whichever round that we are currently on at ANYTIME!!!! New participants are not only welcome to jump in, but WE WANT them to jump in and participate.

Also, please tell your friends here on the forum about this and try to get other CT forum regulars to jump in and participate!

I am still wondering why the following regulars have not been here yet, as they've participated in previous tournaments and I believe are still fairly regular on the forum:

1. Mike 75
2. Vetgirl2014
3. beerisgood02
4. Wilton2ParkAve
5. whome224
6. RunD1987
7. jwmillion83
8. AK-Cathy
9. basehead617
10. kidyankee764

I know that some people have been turned off by the fact that it is not easy to cast votes on a phone. Unfortunately I cannot really fix that myself as I am not a forum admin, LOL; however, you can just write your votes in your post with the towns you choose! You don't have to bold or underline if another way is easier. I hope to see you jump in later when the rounds are a bit smaller and maybe not so much a hassle.

All that to say, just use your computer! I always use my computer to vote because it's a hassle on a phone!

Kind of a bit off topic here, but I thought phones were originally made for texting and calling people, NOT browsing the internet, etc. This is just a statement; Don't answer or start discussing this subject about phones, as it would be way off topic.
The Tourny probably lost the element of surprise for those former voters, or they're waiting for later when there are less to vote for, or they just lost interest and moved on. Let's face it, we know who is going to be in the final eight or so. I'ts fatigue. It's like being tired of watching the Pats in all those Super Bowls and now the Chiefs.

I'm on a laptop now as I log on early on WFM days. Even from a computer it's cumbersome in the early rounds. For the Also Rans I just delete from the right, unless it's for Shon's Salem or Bozrah and Pomfret.

I remember when smartphones came out like the iphone and Galaxy and thinking nah, I'll never get one of those, I'm good with just a basic flip with text at $30/month. Others said it too.
Yeah right, how'd that turn out

Old 03-29-2024, 06:39 AM

537 posts, read 330,690 times
Winners Bracket:

Fairfield vs Chester

Norwalk vs Old Lyme

Stonington vs Trumbull

Westport vs Simsbury

Milford vs Kent

West Hartford vs Stamford

Madison vs Wallingford

Essex vs Wilton

Guilford vs Woodbridge

Ridgefield vs Greenwich

Litchfield vs Farmington

Branford vs Middletown

New Haven vs Southbury

Glastonbury vs Newtown

Old Saybrook vs Avon

East Lyme vs Weston

Losers Bracket:

Haddam vs Manchester

Killingworth vs Enfield

Scotland vs Burlington

Prospect vs Marlborough

Willington vs Thomaston

Bethlehem vs Bozrah

Goshen vs Canaan

Bridgeport vs North Haven

Durham vs Newington

Mansfield vs Brooklyn

Sharon vs Thompson

Granby vs Rocky Hill

Tolland vs New Hartford

Bolton vs Salem

Colebrook vs East Windsor

West Haven vs Cornwall

Norwich vs Ellington

Middlebury vs Windsor Locks

Canterbury vs Barkhamsted

Bethany vs North Branford

Middlefield vs Hamden

Roxbury vs Putnam

Ledyard vs Norfolk

Plainville vs Watertown

South Windsor vs Suffield

Redding vs Coventry

Berlin vs Sherman

New Britain vs Hartford

Seymour vs Woodstock

Hebron vs Hampton

Ashford vs Morris

Stratford vs Orange

Old 03-29-2024, 07:22 AM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
Quote:
Free Beach Access? Every single town has that. All you need to do is not park in the beach parking lots and you can walk on there for free. My family does it ALL THE TIME. In fact we often take the train to beach hop.

I gotta say though, I really love the Long Island Sound because the water is not as intense as the actual ocean and it's a lot easier to be swimming and being very silly without worrying about intense waves and safety nearly as much. You can go in a lot deeper and have a lot of fun. In the real ocean, the waves and current are way more intense and you need to watch for safety a lot more.
I meant the "free" access because we all pay it in our car registrations. I haven't been to a CT beach since then. At that time we started having an increase in parking lots being filled to capacity which means the beaches are packed. By this I mean the state beaches.

If I lived in a place with a more private, more quiet beach, I'd go there. But I will never go to the free state beaches again, they are just too chaotic for my liking.

I enjoy the waves <shrug>. If there aren't waves, I may as well go to a lake

Old 03-29-2024, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I meant the "free" access because we all pay it in our car registrations. I haven't been to a CT beach since then. At that time we started having an increase in parking lots being filled to capacity which means the beaches are packed. By this I mean the state beaches.

If I lived in a place with a more private, more quiet beach, I'd go there. But I will never go to the free state beaches again, they are just too chaotic for my liking.

I enjoy the waves <shrug>. If there aren't waves, I may as well go to a lake
There are waves on the sound. Particularly in wider sections. They just aren’t huge.

I took these photos in Milford. All it takes is a little wind.

I have not seen our state beaches fill to capacity since the height of pandemic.
Attached Thumbnails
2024 Connecticut Town Tournament VI (Celebrating the 10-Year Anniversary & Dazzleman's Memorial)-img_7670.jpeg   2024 Connecticut Town Tournament VI (Celebrating the 10-Year Anniversary & Dazzleman's Memorial)-img_7671.jpeg   2024 Connecticut Town Tournament VI (Celebrating the 10-Year Anniversary & Dazzleman's Memorial)-img_7672.jpeg  

Old 03-29-2024, 01:57 PM

Quote:
There are waves on the sound. Particularly in wider sections. They just aren’t huge.

I took these photos in Milford. All it takes is a little wind.

I have not seen our state beaches fill to capacity since the height of pandemic.
Exactly! I love the waves but they’re just less intense!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut