Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2024, 02:06 PM

34,100 posts, read 17,163,444 times

Advertisements

well done
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2024, 03:07 PM

21,804 posts, read 28,185,347 times
I drove the northern section last night. I thought GPS was wrong but nope, wide open.

Old 05-05-2024, 07:11 PM

21,658 posts, read 31,289,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
I’m 10 minutes away, seriously guy? Lowes is my second home.
It’s Fairfield Ave overpass. It literally has no parallel connection to Rt 7 off-ramps. There are 3 other overpasses mere blocks away. I understand the area and flow otherwise I wouldn’t have brought it up.
I’m not as dumb as I look.
Yes, seriously. If you live 10 minutes away and know the traffic patterns there, you wouldn’t suggest not rebuilding as a viable option.

Last edited by JayCT; 05-06-2024 at 01:41 PM.. Reason: Removed personal attack

Old 05-05-2024, 07:20 PM

14,069 posts, read 13,986,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
well done
Fastest road project CT did in while while pothole in your local town it will take almost year to fix the issue.

Old 05-05-2024, 09:17 PM

35,012 posts, read 57,095,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Yes, seriously. If you live 10 minutes away and know the traffic patterns there, you wouldn’t suggest not rebuilding as a viable option.
You are right. That area is VERY congested so you need connections between roads to divert traffic.

Last edited by JayCT; 05-06-2024 at 01:42 PM..

Old 05-05-2024, 09:19 PM

10,172 posts, read 15,046,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Fastest road project CT did in while while pothole in your local town it will take almost year to fix the issue.
Not in Greenwich*, Darien, New Canaan. Lol. Not too long ago they redid Putnam Ave. Oh, it wasn’t that the road hat potholes, just every few months Greenwich repaves its streets (not all at once) whether they have potholes or not. I think that’s how they keep their roads quite smooth, at least compared to Stamford roads which as soon you enter the city things get a little bumpy with a smooth road here and another there.

A common occurrence in CT is that you can tell what social classes dominate in a town by how smooth are most or all of their streets. Upper/upper middle class towns have smooth streets. Middle class towns is a mixture between smooth streets, streets that aren’t as smooth and then what I call mimicking driving on the moon (with gravity), lol. I don’t have much experience with poor towns, but many years ago I did passed through Bridgeport and there is a road that parallels the train tracks where I had to slow down to a crawl. Forget the wheels, I thought the car was going to break into pieces if I didn’t drastically slow down. It would be funny if that road is still in such a bad shape given my experience was years ago!

With interstates/parkways I think either the state or the federal level takes care of them. Local towns need not apply. I have never driven on a CT interstate or parkway where the road had serious potholes. I-95 is actually a nice, wide, well designed interstate (and well illuminated). The only issue is the scenery which for the most part isn’t scenic. Yet, the Merritt Parkway is very scenic and while it has received improvements, it’s not as well designed as I-95, especially many of the exits and entrances which are extremely short and not as safe as those on I-95. Part of that is simply it’s a very old parkway.

* One thing I do find as a mystery is that Greenwich tends to have smooth streets, but Greenwich Avenue is in horrible shape for what is typical in the town. Such an important commercial/dining street and yet, so many areas that are bumpy. I find it weird town hall hasn’t repaved that street.

Last edited by AntonioR; 05-05-2024 at 09:30 PM..

Old 05-06-2024, 06:15 AM

992 posts, read 605,684 times
Both the level of damage and the state's response were very impressive. Shows that the state can do it right! If only the DMV was that efficient....

Old 05-06-2024, 10:16 AM

21,742 posts, read 12,873,217 times
I drove down past that area at 3 pm yesterday; I took the Merritt only once I got past Bridgeport.

There was some traffic on 95 by that point, but it was otherwise way easier driving all the way down than I thought it would be. I got the initial news of the Norwalk incident only a few hours after arriving in Pawtucket, RI....Well done CT.

Old 05-06-2024, 10:47 AM

35,246 posts, read 17,133,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Governor Lamont just announced I-95 Southbound will be reopened by 10:00 AM TODAY! That’s fabulous news. Great job CTDOT. Applause to all involved. Phenomenal work.

https://x.com/govnedlamont/status/17...Q7BBpdpt3PQ9_w
Emergency work often goes smoothly. The same thing happened on I-87 in NY over Route 100 a while ago. Also opened fast. It's the long term projects, subject to "bidding" and other political considerations, such as "green" and DEI, that drag out for years. But when it needs to get done it gets done. The Francis Scott Key Bridge near Baltimore is going to take ridiculous time while everyone slurps from the trough.

Old 05-06-2024, 01:57 PM

35,012 posts, read 57,095,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Emergency work often goes smoothly. The same thing happened on I-87 in NY over Route 100 a while ago. Also opened fast. It's the long term projects, subject to "bidding" and other political considerations, such as "green" and DEI, that drag out for years. But when it needs to get done it gets done. The Francis Scott Key Bridge near Baltimore is going to take ridiculous time while everyone slurps from the trough.
As I think has been mentioned here, Connecticut already has experience dealing with this type of emergency in New London and Bridgeport so it’s not unprecedented.

The Key Bridge is a massive structure that completely collapsed so of course it’s going to take years to rebuild It’s not like it involves a few beams and some concrete that are readily available. To call the time it will take to rebuild it “ridiculous” shows how little you know about bridge design and construction. It’s a massive undertaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut