Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 07:35 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,652,432 times

Advertisements

Glastonbury is actually the second largest town area-wise in CT. Not sure where they stand population wise though.

JViello, we did the same thing at my house in Glastonbury, we all got together to do leaves and help out with other odds and ends as needed. When there were problems with a dog in the neighborhood, everyone banded together to see that the issue was handled properly. When I owned my condo in Glastonbury, we had small driveways that needed to be shovelled when it snowed. Jack, who lived 2 units down from me would come by with his snowblower and do everyone's driveway and we would all have some beers together afterwards. I also know plenty of friends who have neighborhood block parties throughout the year and they all live in different towns in the Hartford area. It really is a great thing to see and very positive in my book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 08:13 AM

893 posts, read 790,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Cruikshl - First off I'm sorry you having such a hard time. But I do have to add another "experience" here as well.

I live in a smallish neighborhood and we are all very very tight and friendly. Folks have moved in and out over the last 6 years I've been here and it's been the same.

For instance:

Last fall, we all got together spur of the moment and leaf blew each others yards in a row. It was great! Ernie and Jeff teamed up on Ernies lawn I saw it, fired up mine and others saw it fired up thier's blower and headed on over we just went from yard to yard to yard. In the end there were 6 of us out there and made short work of it.

Last 4th of July we passed the word around that I would be doing a large display - most of the neighbors decided to not go to the town and we all set up chairs in the street and some of the guys came over and helped me put on my display...lots of the ladies brough munchies etc and all the kids played together.

I brought home a classic 65 convertible on a flatbed Thursday - I've had half the neighborhood in my drive checking it out and/or helping me geting it "going".

We can't take my son for a "quick" walk because we get stopped at every other house to talk. LOL

Just yesterday I watched Ernie, drive Bob's motorcycle (That he got running for bob for free) over to Jeff's house to return the belt sander Jeff let him use to work on his house as Ernie invited my family over for a Labor Day cookout. Bob was then covering the stone dust pile in the other Bob's driveway for Jeff. The reason it's in the other Bob's drive is because the truck driver couldn't get it to Jeff's house easily so "other Bob" said just dump it in mine...don't worry about it.

"other Bob" is a plumber and installed my furnace for free when I was "stuck". I have given my services at "no charge" as well. I just can't charge my neighbors.

Those are just a few examples. I can write a volume on how we all are like a small family. We are always talking and interacting, helping each other our and chatting on a daily basis and not a hand is not raised when we drive by.

That's the way it is in my neighborhood.

Maybe I just got lucky or perhaps it's the more "blue collar" environment here. I don't know.

My brother in-law lives in Gbury and I've seen the same at his place with the surrounding neighbors. When we go over for a 3rd birthday party or holiday gathering, sure enough the neighbors are there with their kids. I see a similar "friendship" that we have here in our neighborhood. They even got together in his and all chipped in for a wood splitter that they share.

I wish I could offer some suggestions to you and help you out. Reading your posts makes me sad for you.
Live and learn Jay. We will survive and move on. Thanks.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:58 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,756,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Glastonbury is actually the second largest town area-wise in CT. Not sure where they stand population wise though.
Ranked by population, Glastonbury is the 29th most populous town.

Old 09-01-2008, 04:36 PM

5 posts, read 8,180 times
My expereince is the opposite, I find CT people MUCH friendlier than in south.

Maryb

Old 09-01-2008, 04:40 PM

5 posts, read 8,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruikshl View Post
I grew up in the midwest on a farm no less ,not the south, and my mother taught me to make cookies or something to take to the new neighbor. So when someone moves in on my street I take wine and a plant or brownies for the kids. Try and read Miss Manners during the winter months, you might learn something

Me too. In defense of the South, our next door neighbors bought us a DELICIOUS , homemade, carrot cake when we moved in as a welcome neighbor gesture. But they were the only ones....

Old 09-01-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryB61 View Post
Me too. In defense of the South, our next door neighbors bought us a DELICIOUS , homemade, carrot cake when we moved in as a welcome neighbor gesture. But they were the only ones....
Well one is better than none. Next door is all I expect, anything else is gravy.

Old 09-01-2008, 04:53 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
Quote:
Well one is better than none. Next door is all I expect, anything else is gravy.
No offense but the fact that you *expect* your brand new neighbors to bake you a carrot cake is ruder than nobody acknowledging you. JMO

Old 09-01-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
No offense but the fact that you *expect* your brand new neighbors to bake you a carrot cake is ruder than nobody acknowledging you. JMO
I meant to be acknowledged as a new neighbor excuse me!

Old 09-01-2008, 04:58 PM

I didn't say anyone should bake me anything, I take things to new people . I said people should acknowledge me as a new neighbor. Why are you trying to cause trouble where there is none? She said her "next door" neighbor baked her a cake. I replied all I expect is my next door neighbor to acknowledge me if anyone else on the street does that is gravy.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:20 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
Quote:
I didn't say anyone should bake me anything, I take things to new people . I said people should acknowledge me as a new neighbor. Why are you trying to cause trouble where there is none? She said her "next door" neighbor baked her a cake. I replied all I expect is my next door neighbor to acknowledge me if anyone else on the street does that is gravy.

That's what you said in reply to her neighbors bringing her carrot cake. So apologies for misunderstanding your post.

Honestly I felt bad for you at first, but now I'm finding your posts to be quite repetitive regarding the friendliness of people here. You don't like it...I get that. I'm sorry you hated living here. You put your house on the market, right? I just don't get why do you come here everyday (or multiple times a day) claiming we are rude and unfriendly when in reality, it's a simple difference in culture? (and CT folks are some of the friendliest I've met in my travels). It's been suggested that you look at other towns, since perhaps you ended up in the wrong town - to which you never responded. I keep reading the same things over and over and frankly I'm a little put off by it. JMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut