Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 05:22 PM

893 posts, read 795,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Well one is better than none. Next door is all I expect, anything else is gravy.

That's what you said in reply to her neighbors bringing her carrot cake. So apologies for misunderstanding your post.

Honestly I felt bad for you at first, but now I'm finding your posts to be quite repetitive regarding the friendliness of people here. You don't like it...I get that. I'm sorry you hated living here. You put your house on the market, right? I just don't get why do you come here everyday (or multiple times a day) claiming we are rude and unfriendly when in reality, it's a simple difference in culture? (and CT folks are some of the friendliest I've met in my travels). I keep reading the same things over and over and frankly I'm a little put off by it. JMO
One neighbor acknowledging you is better than none is what I meant. I'm done, as usual the locals win with their great personalities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 05:30 PM

21,667 posts, read 31,317,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruikshl View Post
One neighbor acknowledging you is better than none is what I meant. I'm done, as usual the locals win with their great personalities.
Wishing you safe travels back South.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:32 PM

37 posts, read 112,775 times
I've lived in CT now for 3 years (can't believe it's been so long already!!!!) I'm originally from NC, but lived in VA Beach and SOUTHERN GA right before moving here. I have two very little ones (who were both born here) and a husband. When I first moved here, I loved it. Then I hated it- not enough shopping (I live on the shoreline) too far to do things, not enough people with kids that live near me, etc etc. However, I finally feel like I do like it here.

Compared to the South, it does take a little longer to get to know people. I have had to really put myself out there to meet folks...in GA the families on our cul-de-sac would all get together after mowing lawns to drink beers at the end of someone's driveways...here in our neighborhood, we don't do much more than wave Hi. I haven't ever heard from my next door neighbor ever and she is outside on her porch just about every day. (I did introduce myself when I moved in but she is just not a very social person.)

However, here is my perception (from a born and raised in the South girl)...in the South people are friendly- they could hate your guts but still put on that sweet smile and be nice to you. Here if people don't like you, they don't like you. I kinda like that better- less fakeness! I don't have the experience with all the Fairfield county talk...my only CT experience is in a small shoreline town, but people are very down to earth and real here. I have friends that are barely eeking by month to month and friends in the same group that are obviously doing very well- but there's no showing off or any of the "keeping up with the Jones' " that I've found. Maybe I've just lucked out in meeting some great folks, and although it's taken 3 years to finally feel like I fit in, it finally is OK here.

None of our friends live in our neighborhood though...and I have found that there are several neighborhoods in our town that socialize together with block parties, guys' poker clubs, women's bunko clubs, etc....I guess I should've done more research on that and asked questions to my realtor when we were looking to buy because I would've liked that. Also, there are a handful of other towns that I think it would've been easier to transition to- West Hartford for example- that might have been a better move. But we are where we are and I'm happy for the time being!

Old 09-02-2008, 08:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,951 times
Default Join newcomers!

I moved here from Newport RI 3 years ago. I was lucky enough to find Newcomers and met some really nice people from town. They have a lot of organized activities around playgroups, couples activities like going out to dinner at local restaurants, day trips, etc. You can participate as much or as little as you want. There is also a civic aspect to the group as well. Check it out at [URL="http://www.cheshirenewcomers.com"]www.cheshirenewcomers.com[/URL]

I miss the lovely place I grew up but have found much to do and see here as well. I really liek it here and am glad we moved.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:26 AM

9 posts, read 96,650 times
MOved hear from Long Island 10 years ago. Great place to raise kids

Old 09-07-2008, 09:41 AM

539 posts, read 2,105,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruikshl View Post
That is totally backwards. Manners says that they should welcome me. I am after all the new one. I have been friendly with waving and such as they drive by me.
I have to agree with you. When we moved to a new subdivision in CT ours was one of the first homes to be built. I made sure that I welcomed each of my new neighbors with some sort of home baked goody, then it was up to them if they wanted to accept my friendship. It turned into a wonderful neighborhood with everyone watching over eachother's homes, the comings and goings of strangers in the neighborhood, and a party or two every now and again. There were many kids in the neighborhood and it was a good feeling to know the parents so well where my children were playing. It could be a little "Desperate Housewives" at times but hey that could be fun too.

While I have experienced a great deal of southern hospitality here in the south, my subdivision is far from it. I have met very few neighbors here but most of them are transplants from around the country rather than "southerners". Everyone keeps to themselves.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:12 AM

119 posts, read 369,548 times
This is my first post although I've been reading these for a year or so as I , too, have thought of moving to where "the grass is greener". The common thread I've noticed on this site in many different regions of the U.S. is that we all have the same issues to some degree. Sometimes you find a group of people who you "click" with and somtimes you don't.

To

Old 09-07-2008, 11:13 AM

This is my first post although I've been reading these for a year or so as I , too, have thought of moving to where "the grass is greener". The common thread I've noticed on this site in many different regions of the U.S. is that we all have the same issues to some degree. Sometimes you find a group of people who you "click" with and somtimes you don't.

To quote my favorite Alabama native: "Life is like a box of chaw-co-lates. You neva' know whatcha gonna

Old 09-07-2008, 11:14 AM

To quote my favorite Alabama native: "Life is like a box of chaw-co-lates. You neva' know whatcha gonna git."

It

Old 09-07-2008, 11:26 AM

This is my first post although I've been reading these for a year or so as I , too, have thought of moving to where "the grass is greener". The common thread I've noticed on this site while reading posts from many different regions of the U.S. is that we all have the same issues to some degree. Sometimes you find a group of people who you "click" with and sometimes you don't.

To quote my favorite Alabama native: "Life is like a box of chaw-co-lates. You neva' know whatcha gonna git."

It seems sometimes we just have to buy another box of candy to get something that suites our taste or try to acquire a new taste. Either way, being disappointed is not an uncommon feeling and this may be a good place to vent but, I hope that all of us find that greener grass we are looking for.

After 20 years of looking, I've found that I like living in CT and I appreciate it more when I get away to visit other states. They are beautiful as well but, absence does make my heart grow fonder for the vistas of this wonderful little state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut