Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 09:53 AM

56 posts, read 163,113 times

Advertisements

We are planning on moving to the Middletown area next summer. My husband went to college in the area and now we will both be completing grad degrees there. I wanted to find out more about the area for a young couple. I have a degree in Graphic Design so I would want to be in a artsy area if that is around. I will probably be doing freelance work. My husband will be working as a coach at his college.

We want to be an area that is trendy with a lot of good places to eat, shop and we could walk into town. Where we are now we have to drive everywhere. It would be nice to walk to get breakfast on a Sunday Morning. The thing is we are not sure where to look since he went to college there he has a different view of the area. Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 11:47 AM

223 posts, read 1,172,876 times
I went to high school in Middletown back in the early 1990s. It amazes me how downtown Middletown has changed over the past fifteen years. In particular, Main Street has been transformed from a commercial zone on life support into a thriving district (by central Connecticut standards) with diverse retail and dining options. Granted, it's not paradise (the area of upper Main Street near St. John's still remains a bit rough), but it's much better than it used to be. I've always thought that Wesleyan's presence gives Middletown a little bit of unique artsy funk not present in any other town in the area.

I recommend taking a look at Middletown itself. Since I no longer live in Connecticut full-time, someone else may be able to suggest specific streets or neighborhoods in the vicinity of downtown. If you don't find something in Middletown proper, then I suggest looking at West Hartford -- about 25 minutes north from Middletown on Route 9 (and I-84). As many have said in previous posts, West Hartford Center has many dining, shopping, and arts offerings that are easily reached by foot from surrounding residential areas. Please note that West Hartford is also more expensive than Middletown. Good Luck!

Old 10-25-2008, 12:28 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,627,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaymay View Post
I wanted to find out more about the area for a young couple. I have a degree in Graphic Design so I would want to be in a artsy area if that is around. I will probably be doing freelance work ...
We want to be an area that is trendy with a lot of good places to eat, shop and we could walk into town. Where we are now we have to drive everywhere.
Hi kaymay,

If you are comfortable with urban settings, then you should at the very least look at areas near downtown New Haven and downtown Middletown. New Haven has a lot going on, especially for cultural offerings, nightlife, and most things "trendy." It is the hot spot for culture and nightlife in Connecticut, in my experience, 20 minutes by car from Middletown. Middletown itself, as the previous poster mentioned, has enjoyed a revival and has a downtown with eateries and shopping (not as many as New Haven).

I agree that West Hartford is nice, but if you'll be freelancing I think it would be smart for you to live within convenient driving distance to New Haven and southern Connecticut moreso than Hartford.

If you want a more suburban "downtown," check out downtown Wallingford and see if you like it. Other suburban towns that could be possibilities, but I don't know muich about their downtown areas, are: North Haven, Cheshire, Glastonbury, Wethersfield, Farmington, Newington, and maybe Avon (these will be more expensive than Middletown).

Hope that is somewhat helpful.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:38 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,217,616 times
I assume your dh is working at Wesleyan? If so, I'd just live right in Middletown. There's plenty of apartments right around the school, and it's easy enough to walk to O'Rourke's for that breakfast. I don't know about 'trendy', but Middletown's got funky, that's for sure.

The Westlake area has many nicer rentals. While you are not within walking distance of downtown, it's a quick drive. There is a walking path out there now that goes into Cromwell, near some shops and food.

Old 10-26-2008, 06:18 AM

539 posts, read 2,102,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
I assume your dh is working at Wesleyan? If so, I'd just live right in Middletown. There's plenty of apartments right around the school, and it's easy enough to walk to O'Rourke's for that breakfast. I don't know about 'trendy', but Middletown's got funky, that's for sure.
Didn't O'Rourke's burn down?

Old 10-26-2008, 07:54 AM

56 posts, read 163,113 times
yup he will be working there. Coaching actually so it would be nice to be close but we also would like a change from where we are. We are currently living in a really suburban area. There is not much to do in the area so that is why when we move we would like to make a change in scenery. Thanks for your advice

Old 10-26-2008, 11:24 AM

223 posts, read 1,172,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_mommy View Post
It did but it was rebuilt and it re-opened earlier this year.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:54 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,718,599 times
I used to live about 10 minutes from Middletown years ago. Back then, there was very little commercial investment on Main Street. For the longest time, the side streets were typically avoided and considered not safe. Now this area is thriving. Very walkable, attractive area with many fine places to enjoy dining out or shopping. The sides streets have been cleaned up a lot here, too.

The public schools are OK, but not outstanding. My sister did some student teaching a few years ago, after the revitalization of Main Street and the town in general, and said they were only so-so. Not bad by any means, but not on par with your more rural towns.

But yes, Main Street is definitely THE place to be in Middletown. If any of you have been to Hoboken, NJ and are familiar with Washingtown Street, which is the main artery there, Main St here is basically the equivalent. It's a young crowd here, with a good number of college-age individuals, but I wouldn't call it a "college town" per se.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:00 PM

21 posts, read 64,175 times
Smile Wesleyan area very nice

I love Main Street Middletown. It sounds like the type of place you are looking for. If you want an apartment, just stay to the south of the Washington Street/Main Street intersection for safety reasons. (That's where Wesleyan is anyway) As you go further and further away from Main Street itself, you will have more choices as far as a house vs. an apartment if that's what you want. A friend of mine wanted to live right within Wesleyan a few years back, but she had trouble finding what she wanted. She bought a house on Ridge Road that's close to Wesleyan and really nice. High Street and Pine Street are really nice, kind of artsy streets very close to Wesleyan. When I drive by I always look at which houses are for sale. There are some interesting ones! Good luck!

Old 02-14-2009, 05:47 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,653,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_mommy View Post
Wasn't that the restaurant that they featured on an episode of "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives" on the Food Network?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut