Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 08:53 AM

77 posts, read 279,851 times

Advertisements

My dh and I are originally from CT. We now live in Va and my husband will likely be accepting a job in Tarrytown NY. We are looking at Ridgefield for a possiblity. We have a 9 and 11 yr old so schools are really important. How are the Ridgefield schools? The stats look pretty good. It is a friendly town? Being a Yankee I know how some parts of Ct are not quite as welcoming as others. Taxes in NY are insane. So we are looking at various options.Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 09:36 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,433,997 times
Ridgefield has great schools. Though it's very expensive to live their.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:41 AM

34,937 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Ridgefield schools are excellent. Here is a link to information on the schools there and other towns in CT. Jay

Strategic School Profiles by District

Strategic School Profiles by School

Old 12-02-2008, 12:13 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,432,146 times
It is quite expensive. Average list price per CMLS 12/2/08 is $1,258,250 with taxes of about $16,000 a year.Median price is $899,000 with taxes of about $9200. Good luck!

Old 12-02-2008, 12:44 PM

So we are not going to save very much money by increasing my dh commute by 15 minutes? Seems like you get more bang for your buck compared to Katonah or Croton andthe taxes are definitely less.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:06 PM

371 posts, read 1,567,127 times
I think it all depends on what kind of house you are looking for. I am originally from Westchester and the taxes are out of control-probably the highest in the country. Ridgefield can be affordable if your looking for an "average" home. Those quotes the pp posted may be more for a brand new 3000sq ft home. We looked in Ridgefield and there were many homes in the 400-600k range. It all depends on what you are looking for. We opted for New Fairfield, the schools are good here as well but it is a much more friendler town. I'd say look on realtor.com for both towns and see what you can get for your price range. The taxes in CT are wayyyy more lower than Westchester-believe me!

Old 12-02-2008, 03:03 PM

11 posts, read 38,235 times
Ridgefield has really excellent schools, but the commute to Tarrytown looks like it would be just shy of an hour's drive. Have you considered Somers, NY? There are really nice homes for under $700k and with Star the taxes look like they would be in the 7000-8000 range (not a steal but compared to other Westchester towns its low). The schools are supposed to be good. You should also consider Irvington, although it looks like the taxes are on par with Westchester averages.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:20 PM

Thanks for the great responses. We were looking at New Fairfield too as it seems you can get more bang for your buck a little farther north. The commute would be longer to Tarrytown. Mom of too why did you feel New Fairfiled was friendlier than Ridgefield? Please don't tell me it is another snobby town.I did look at Somers NY. It just seems a little too far out there for me. No real downtown which I would like. We are still looking at Katonah and Croton in NY as well. My dh would like at least an acre of propert so I think Irvington would be out.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:30 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,432,146 times
You also might want to check out Bethel. There is a downotwn and prices about very similiar to New Fairfield.

Old 12-04-2008, 06:10 AM

326 posts, read 718,953 times
I live in Westchester County, about 15 minutes from Tarrytown. I have looked in Conn. for property. It seems Bethel has some kind of waste plant that you wouldn't want to live close to. What about Brookfield, Ct? It's really nice and you have access to Candlewood Lake, homes there have lots of property and used to be cheap in 2002 compared to Westchester. You can always go to Danbury to shop in the mall, and Mt. Kisco and Katonah in Westchester are close by, lovely towns with small shops.

Many people who live in more expensive towns in Westchester tell me that when their kids are out of school they are going to move into East Yonkers because the taxes are much cheaper, the problem is the schools are crappy.

I used to live in Croton, it was very nice, but extremely boring, a typical river town. I used to come back to Yonkers or White Plains every chance I got to shop and visit friends. Additionally, I didn't like living so close to the Con Ed nuclear plant on the Hudson, and when I was commuting to work in White Plains on Route 9, if I didn't get on the road before 7:00 a.m. it was bumper to bumper traffic from Croton on down, and I was always late for work. In the winter the side roads in Croton are very icy. One morning while trying to get to work my car slid on ice, I had no control of it, and luckily it stopped about two feet in front of a tree!

I gather you don't want to pay the Westchester taxes to live in Tarrytown/Sleepy Hollow, it's too bad, it's so lovely, I go there all the time.
A town called West Harrison (it's right next to White Plains) used to have cheaper taxes than typical Westchester.

If money were no object, I would live in Pleasantville, NY, I think it's one of the nicest places to live in Westchester and it's surrounded by towns with all good neighborhoods, and convenient to White Plains.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut