Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 11:53 AM

756 posts, read 2,219,338 times

Advertisements

Because I am a parent of 3 teens, I agree with JV and Brass that this is a backwards step. It will be interesting to see the repercussions on school campuses, particularly at the middle and high schools.

Regarding medicinal use of mj, no one fighting stage I or II cancers with a high chance of survival will want to put another toxic substance in their body. I speak from experience. The last thing someone fighting cancer wants to do is smoke anything.....

Final stage of cancer, that's a completely different story. Whatever helps....

Oh, and as for my credentials....just call me Michelle....because I'm married to the President of the USA.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:33 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,902,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcfamily View Post
It will be interesting to see the repercussions on school campuses, particularly at the middle and high schools.
I doubt much would change at the school levels, since it would still be illegal. The legal penalties just wouldn't be as harsh. I am pretty confident schools will still suspend/expel students caught smoking pot, Michelle.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I doubt much would change at the school levels, since it would still be illegal. The legal penalties just wouldn't be as harsh. I am pretty confident schools will still suspend/expel students caught smoking pot, Michelle.
Yeah, you're right...I think I just lost sight of that reading through this long thread

Old 03-03-2009, 01:23 PM

I was actually discussing this issue with my teens a couple of days ago. I don't think in Monroe at least, the schools are adequately explaining to the kids just how serious a crime smoking marijuana is. (or maybe my kids just aren't paying attention) My kids had no clue they could face jail time etc. I suspect a lot of kids just smoke because of peer pressure or curiousity, with no idea of how much trouble they can actually get into. I guess much of the drug education is a parent's responsibility. Telling them to just say no might not be enough.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:30 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Why would a doctor give you an overdose?
They wouldn't. Kids and adults who are prescribed OxyContin, Percocet, Alprozam, etc overdose on it (take more than their regular dosage...), and often. They sell it, hand it out, or take it with a beer. These are over-prescribed IMO and frequently abused because of this. Same thing goes for cocaine - it would be abused.

Also going back to addiction - again, marijuana is not physically addictive. But say you're right, and it is, it would not be as addictive as say OxyContin (~heroin) or Adderrall (~cocaine) or any other prescription drug out there. It just wouldn't be, that's a fact.

I don't get the reasoning people are using here. It's okay to take alternative forms cocaine or heroin with a prescription, but to smoke a joint without doctor approval (even with!) is a sin?? I shake my head...

Old 03-03-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
I was actually discussing this issue with my teens a couple of days ago. I don't think in Monroe at least, the schools are adequately explaining to the kids just how serious a crime smoking marijuana is. (or maybe my kids just aren't paying attention) My kids had no clue they could face jail time etc. I suspect a lot of kids just smoke because of peer pressure or curiousity, with no idea of how much trouble they can actually get into. I guess much of the drug education is a parent's responsibility. Telling them to just say no might not be enough.
They can't face jail time unless they are in possession of 4 ounces or more, or have a few small baggies of the stuff (intent to sell). Otherwise, unless they're high behind the wheel and that can be proven by the officer, the charges wouldn't include time in the slammer.

According to state code section 21a-278..... Under 4 oz.: 1 yr. and/or $1000; Over 4 oz.: 5 yrs. and/or $2000; Over 1 kilo: 5-20 yrs. to life; Subsequent offense: Under 4 oz.: 5 yrs. and/or $3000; Over 4 oz.: 10 yrs. and/or $5000; add 2 yrs. if within 1500 ft. of school or child day care center

Well I guess technically they can face up to 1 yr jailtime but the likelihood of that happening for a first time offender isn't great. They'd probably have a $1000 fine and probation.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcfamily View Post
Because I am a parent of 3 teens, I agree with JV and Brass that this is a backwards step. It will be interesting to see the repercussions on school campuses, particularly at the middle and high schools.

Regarding medicinal use of mj, no one fighting stage I or II cancers with a high chance of survival will want to put another toxic substance in their body. I speak from experience. The last thing someone fighting cancer wants to do is smoke anything.....

Final stage of cancer, that's a completely different story. Whatever helps....

Oh, and as for my credentials....just call me Michelle....because I'm married to the President of the USA.
Very true. But that's why I said vaporization is the healthiest and most effective way to use the drug for medicinal purposes. I know if it were me, I personally wouldn't want anything to do with it if I had cancer. But I'm not everyone - to each their own. If they want to smoke it to make them feel better, more power to 'em.

And I don't get the Michelle Obama thing...

Old 03-03-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
They can't face jail time unless they are in possession of 4 ounces or more, or have a few small baggies of the stuff (intent to sell). Otherwise, unless they're high behind the wheel and that can be proven by the officer, the charges wouldn't include time in the slammer.

According to state code section 21a-278..... Under 4 oz.: 1 yr. and/or $1000; Over 4 oz.: 5 yrs. and/or $2000; Over 1 kilo: 5-20 yrs. to life; Subsequent offense: Under 4 oz.: 5 yrs. and/or $3000; Over 4 oz.: 10 yrs. and/or $5000; add 2 yrs. if within 1500 ft. of school or child day care center

Well I guess technically they can face up to 1 yr jailtime but the likelihood of that happening for a first time offender isn't great. They'd probably have a $1000 fine and probation.
I think they can also lose federal funding for college. It's interesting, while googling the federal funding issue I came across a link where the American College of Physicians last year "released a paper urging the federal government to change its position on the legal aspects of marijuana, which it continues to classify in a category with heroin and LSD." I personally wouldn't smoke it for health issues (at least I don't think I would, but who knows if I were sick enough) but the article is interesting:

American College of Physicians Position Takes Aim at Marijuana Laws - Salem-News.Com

Old 03-03-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
I think they can also lose federal funding for college. It's interesting, while googling the federal funding issue I came across a link where the American College of Physicians last year "released a paper urging the federal government to change its position on the legal aspects of marijuana, which it continues to classify in a category with heroin and LSD." I personally wouldn't smoke it for health issues (at least I don't think I would, but who knows if I were sick enough) but the article is interesting:

American College of Physicians Position Takes Aim at Marijuana Laws - Salem-News.Com
Thanks for the link. It's absurd that they classify it with LSD and heroin.

Also to brass about the WHO - the problem with the WHO is they have such a huge mountain of tasks and such a massive bureaucratic structure that it's really hard to pinpoint why or how they feel the way they do on certain issues. A lot of it is politics. Honestly, most criminology experts AND doctors often disagree with the WHO - globally. It's kinda like FEMA - until the bureaucratic waste is eliminated, their "opinion" won't matter or be credible, in my opinion (and many others who are much more intelligent than I am).

Old 03-03-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Very true. But that's why I said vaporization is the healthiest and most effective way to use the drug for medicinal purposes. I know if it were me, I personally wouldn't want anything to do with it if I had cancer. But I'm not everyone - to each their own. If they want to smoke it to make them feel better, more power to 'em.

And I don't get the Michelle Obama thing...
It just means I don't quite believe all the credentials posters claim to have.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut