Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 08:55 PM

722 posts, read 1,983,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
My point was that, in the dose she was taking, the effect (on her) was quite comparable to a recreational drug. (Did you miss the part where I mentioned that she was so wired that she was sleeping three hours a night?) Yet because it was prescribed by a doctor, somehow that made it magically OK in her world. Remember that amphetamines used to be prescribed routinely for depression -- the line between therapeutic and recreational effects can be very blurry.

As for depression and marijuana, it worsens it in some folks, but alleviates it in others. The former happens much more often than the latter, I think, but I've known plenty of people in both situations. At least a depressed person can't down a handful of joints to off themselves...

No, I'm a Molecular and Cell Biology major and I have never read anything where amphetamines were used as antidepressants. Do you know where I can read more about this?

Old 03-01-2009, 09:15 PM

438 posts, read 1,197,400 times
If I have time, I'll try to find a good source detailing their widespread prescription in the 1950s and 1960s. Here's an article on the subject from 1980, though I can't get into PubMed at the moment. For obvious reasons, amphetamines are seldom used (if at all) as a front-line treatment now, but apparently are occasionally used in conjunction with conventional anti-depressants. I assume you know about JFK's use of amphetamines (under doctor's orders) while he was President.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:26 PM

438 posts, read 1,197,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Since there are apparently lots of experts here who have taken drug courses, I was wondering: Does a teenager who experiments with marijuana require counseling? Sadly it seems like normative behavior today.
I don't know that I qualify as an expert, but I think every case is different. Experimenting with marijuana has been more or less normative for some time now, and the vast majority of my friends and family have tried it. (Many of them need counseling, but not for reasons having to do with pot!)

I think your instinct to avoid stigmatizing the person is a good one. As for counseling, it really depends on their motivation. If a kid's depressed, they could use help with that. OTOH, if someone had discovered my youthful experiments with pot and tried to get me to go to counseling on that basis, I think it would've been a mistake. But that's me.

Honestly, I think we're better off demystifying pot, and showing it for what it really is -- not something glamorous, edgy, or rebellious, but a fairly banal, commonplace drug that usually makes people act boring, self-centered, or kinda dumb.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:46 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I really don't feel like replying to the bickering, but would like to make this simple point.

Cough medicine sole purpose is not for drug use and getting high.

Nor are other over the counter and prescription drugs.

Aside from some hippie promoting the wearing of a hemp garment as the way to save the world, the only purpose for legalizing weed is for people to get high.

There is a difference. I'm not sure why folks choose not to see it.

Don't we have enough crap to deal with outside of having to "prevent" our citizens to "just say no" to another legal substance who's sole purpose is to alter your mind state?

Don't the same people portraying alcohol as being bad understand once the genie is out of the bottle, you have the same problem as you do with alcohol trying to put it back in the bottle?
Are you saying Nyquil can't get you high?

And are you also saying that marijuana has zero benefits to someone who is ill?

Old 03-02-2009, 07:16 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brasscitybluenwhite View Post
No, I'm a Molecular and Cell Biology major and I have never read anything where amphetamines were used as antidepressants. Do you know where I can read more about this?
I was going to say I did, but now that I think of it, I'm not sure I have either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Are you saying Nyquil can't get you high?

And are you also saying that marijuana has zero benefits to someone who is ill?
Yes, that's what nyquil was created for...so kids can get high.

Lets cut the bullsh*t here. People who want to legalize marajuana want to do so for the user to get high and not get arrested. Period.

We are putting greater restrictions on a product such as nyquil because less than 1% abuse it, yet we are giving a green light to a know substance used 99.9% of the time for getting high.

Makes NO sense.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:52 AM

theres no article at the link though. They probably used amphetamines on Kennedy because SSRI's weren't out yet. Better that than him smoking a joint.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:33 AM

174 posts, read 639,926 times
Quote:
Lets cut the bullsh*t here. People who want to legalize marajuana want to do so for the user to get high and not get arrested. Period.

You don't get arrested for being high, unless you're driving and they can prove that you're under the influence. If someone is already high, they've obviously used up that 1 ounce and therefore aren't possessing any, are they?

Old 03-02-2009, 02:01 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
You have it all wrong. It's not called "medicinal marijuana" for nothing. But hey, we're going in circles here. There are other benefits to a marijuana high other than laughing and eating that have been outlined numerous times in this thread, which you choose to ignore. Period.

Quote:
We are putting greater restrictions on a product such as nyquil because less than 1% abuse it
Do you have statistics to back this up, or are you "just sayin"?

Old 03-02-2009, 02:32 PM

10,072 posts, read 14,449,392 times
Whoa this has grown since I responded on the first page...LOL!

I'm enjoying the reading--I'll not jump in so late.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
You have it all wrong. It's not called "medicinal marijuana" for nothing. But hey, we're going in circles here. There are other benefits to a marijuana high other than laughing and eating that have been outlined numerous times in this thread, which you choose to ignore. Period.

Do you have statistics to back this up, or are you "just sayin"?

you keep bringing up medicinal marijuana and i keep telling you that there is a product on the market called Marinol that is a prescription medication that has everything needed in it to give the same effect as marijuana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut