Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 01:37 PM

722 posts, read 1,982,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
When the church stops using its power to oppress others, it may see its numbers grow again. But people here are an intellectual bunch. I think most believe in evolution here.

Not sure I believe these numbers, according to this map, orange areas state 50-75% of the population attends church?? No way, maybe 10%. I think these figures are very optimistic.

hmm

One of the biggest problems today is intellectualism versus wisdom. One thing that has to be understood is that everything cant be answered through science. You say that "when the church stops using its power to oppress others, it may see its numbers grow again." Not exactly. A church is a church, based on principles long before are time. A church cannot simply reform itself to fit the needs of people. If it does that, it would stop being a church, and it would become a social club.

I think it was Thomas Jefferson that said, "in matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 01:41 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brasscitybluenwhite View Post
Separating religion and politics? They should go hand and hand...

I find more people in New England to be afraid of religious confrontation. There are many "Catholics" that I know who pick and choose what they want to believe out of the bible; they go to church everyday and but practice what they what they want to practice all of the other days. You don't find much of that in the south and for that reason, I would say that Connecticut is far less religious than any other state that I've visited in the south.

One thing that catholics and other christians in the north must recognize is that one of the tenets of being a christian is outreach. You cant go around being afraid of talking about what you are. In my eyes, thats borderline blasphemy. (but I'm not God of course.) Once we reach this, Catholism will remain what it is right now (in Connecticut); merely political identity.

I dont believe in the whole "my religion is cooler than urs" crap. If that ever happened to me in the south, I would have spazed and said well hey we all believe in the same God and its just people like them that bring forth that worldly division crap. Enough's enough when it comes to that catholic v. protestant stuff. Its only gonna divide us in the end..
Whoa, hold up here a second. How did you get "afraid of religious confrontation"? It's not being afraid of anything - it's simple respect. Beliefs are a powerful thing, whether you're Christian, Jewish, Agnostic or whatnot. For a stranger to approach me, say "hi how are you" then next sentence "have you joined a parish here yet?" mmm, no thanks. It has nothing to do with being "afraid", let me clarify that for you. Heck, I know what being afraid is for two reasons that would probably make your jaw drop, and a nice little southerner coming up to me and prying into my private lifestyle is not one of them. It's an annoyance and offensive more than anything.

You're right about the division - too many people base personality on religion which translates to Republican vs Democrat (mostly online than in reality). Funny thing is, if most of the people on the Politics forum hung out (face to face) oblivious of these affiliations, everyone would be friends.

Last edited by JayCT; 03-11-2009 at 02:51 PM.. Reason: Removed insulting quote

Old 03-11-2009, 01:42 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcfamily View Post
We love contemporary worship music and need an active youth group and love small group bible study. The denomination doesn't matter could be Baptist, Congregational, Methodist, Presbyterian, etc.

Any recommendations?
Nice! Same here.

I don't have any recomendations in Monroe, but just wanted pass along a hooah to my sister in faith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
When I lived in West Hartford, I knew a lot of people for whom Jewish identity and religious practice were an important part of their life.
This is true, there are a lot of Jews in West Hartford. Howard Stern was one of them.

Quote:
When the church stops using its power to oppress others, it may see its numbers grow again. But people here are an intellectual bunch. I think most believe in evolution here.
I gus u ar rite i ar never be a thunker. Must krustins ar stoupit peepal hoo just fallow liek blynd peepals.

Some of the greatest intellectuals come from the church. If you don't believe it, lets go a few rounds and see if you can keep up.

You also might be surprised to find that when pressed the majority of people who say they believe in evolution still have a sense of "creation" with them.

Not many are staunch "something came out of nothing from nothing into something on total random chance by accident from nothing" believers.

I would say the majority either believe in creation of some sort or at least would say "I'm not sure, but I don't think it was some kind of random chance".

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasscitybluenwhite View Post
Separating religion and politics? They should go hand and hand...

I find more people in New England to be more like KidYankee; afraid of religious confrontation. There are many "Catholics" that I know who pick and choose what they want to believe out of the bible; they go to church everyday and but practice what they what they want to practice all of the other days. You don't find much of that in the south and for that reason, I would say that Connecticut is far less religious than any other state that I've visited in the south.

One thing that catholics and other christians in the north must recognize is that one of the tenets of being a christian is outreach. You cant go around being afraid of talking about what you are. In my eyes, thats borderline blasphemy. (but I'm not God of course.) Once we reach this, Catholism will remain what it is right now (in Connecticut); merely political identity.

And kidyankee, I dont believe in the whole "my religion is cooler than urs" crap. If that ever happened to me in the south, I would have spazed and said well hey we all believe in the same God and its just people like them that bring forth that worldly division crap. Enough's enough when it comes to that catholic v. protestant stuff. Its only gonna divide us in the end..
While I don't agree with your post 100% it's a well written post and I do agree with most of it.

Nice job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Heck, I know what being afraid is for two reasons that would probably make your jaw drop, and a nice little southerner coming up to me and prying into my private lifestyle is not one of them. It's an annoyance and offensive more than anything.
After actually living there for several years, I would just like to point something out...it may explain things a little better and ease your mind.

Church in the South IS as much a social club as it is a worship thing.

Most of those people most likely thought they were being neighborly seeing if you had found a place to call "home" (And perhaps invite you to their own place as well) and not to be nosey.

When I started to look at it that way, things made a LOT more sense for me.

Last edited by JViello; 03-11-2009 at 01:57 PM..

Old 03-11-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Another 1% and it would be. And not that it means anything, but I'm not Catholic.
Exactly. Not sure why our comments had to be taken apart, piece by piece.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcfamily View Post
Hey Brass, glad to see you here! Personally, I don't think by asking someone where they worship is judging anyone. I think some people get defensive about anyone asking about their religion. I can't help but wonder why?

Too funny, because I am "church" shopping for one closer to home and if the right opportunity presents itself or church comes up in a conversation, I ask people about their church and what it's like. Everyone has been very happy to tell me about their churches.
Well, it's not simply that they were curious. They wanted to attach a label to me, and I'm not okay with that. If we had spoken for awhile, agreed to grab a coffee or a beer and on the way they said "oh, hey, what's your religion by the way?", I'd have no problem discussing it. It's always within the first ten-fifteen minutes of meeting someone down there that they ask about my religious affiliation. I don't see how some people can be okay with that. But then again, I'm a native New Englander. We're private people (but that still doesn't explain people from the Midwest finding it annoying too, lol).

Old 03-11-2009, 01:53 PM

893 posts, read 791,220 times
Quote:
When I spent many months in North Carolina, people would ask me what parish I belonged to rather than what neighborhood I lived in. Nice people, but after awhile it became annoying. My personal beliefs aren't really anyone's business, and telling a prying stranger this information leaves plenty of room for surface judgment. No thanks!
One time when we lived in North Carolina next to a great young couple, who happened to be Baptist, it proved to be quite comical. They of course didn't drink and we of course the good Catholics we are, did. Every time my husband would be working in the yard he would always offer the neighbor a beer. For three years this went on. We never had a problem with anyone asking us if we had found a church. We just said we were Catholic and that would end the conversation.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruikshl View Post
One time when we lived in North Carolina next to a great young couple, who happened to be Baptist, it proved to be quite comical. They of course didn't drink and we of course the good Catholics we are, did. Every time my husband would be working in the yard he would always offer the neighbor a beer. For three years this went on. We never had a problem with anyone asking us if we had found a church. We just said we were Catholic and that would end the conversation.
It's kind of sad that this would end the conversation, don't you think? That's been my experience as well.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:00 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
It's kind of sad that this would end the conversation, don't you think? That's been my experience as well.
I think it comes from a LOT of people using it as a fire escape excuse. (Not saying that's what Cruikshl did, just that it happens a lot)

So when someone says "Well, I'm catholic" a lot, if not the majority of the time it really means "buzz off I have no interest in your religion".

Old 03-11-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
After actually living there for several years, I would just like to point something out...it may explain things a little better and ease your mind.

Church in the South IS as much a social club as it is a worship thing.

Most of those people most likely thought they were being neighborly seeing if you had found a place to call "home" (And perhaps invite you to their own place as well) and not to be nosey.

When I started to look at it that way, things made a LOT more sense for me.
Oh, I know this. That's why I said they are very nice people who are a product of their environment. Same reason we are the way we are here in New England. Even so, with your explanation, still not my cup-o-joe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I think it comes from a LOT of people using it as a fire escape excuse. (Not saying that's what Cruikshl did, just that it happens a lot)

So when someone says "Well, I'm catholic" a lot, if not the majority of the time it really means "buzz off I have no interest in your religion".
You've lived in Charlotte for too long, JV. Since when does saying "I'm Catholic" mean "buzz off?" If that's how they see it, still, I find it very sad.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:05 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,433,997 times
Quote:
are you saying religious people are not intelligent? That's offensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut