Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 02:59 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,775,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MuchDuctTape View Post
I'm in the New Haven area and I am all about the Yankees and Giants

Who cares what the MA/RI/VT/NH/ME think.....those states don't even consider CT part of New England anyway (I have heard many, many different residents of these states say this) so why would I even want to cheer for the Patriots and Red Sox?
I grew up in Boston and I always thought and will always consider Connecticut to be a part of New England. I don't cheer for the Red Sox by the way, I like cheering for underdogs such as the Cleveland Indians, Chicago Cubs, and (in football) teams like the Buffalo Bills.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:07 PM

356 posts, read 808,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MuchDuctTape View Post
I'm in the New Haven area and I am all about the Yankees and Giants

Who cares what the MA/RI/VT/NH/ME think.....those states don't even consider CT part of New England anyway (I have heard many, many different residents of these states say this) so why would I even want to cheer for the Patriots and Red Sox?
Exactly. I've never considered myself a New Englander. I consider myself a New Yorker if anything. The city is only 40 minutes away and I live in the NY Metro area. Not Bostons.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:14 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,436,931 times
I've lived in CT my whole life and have always considered myself a New englander.
It doesn't matter if the other states "think" we are part of New england or not.
WE ARE. That's a fact.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:29 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,775,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeesGiantsRangersNYK View Post
Exactly. I've never considered myself a New Englander. I consider myself a New Yorker if anything. The city is only 40 minutes away and I live in the NY Metro area. Not Bostons.
You don't have to be a Bostonian or even a native of Massachusetts to be a New Englander though. I don't consider someone from Burlington, Vermont or Presque Isle, Maine to be a Metro Bostonian but I do consider him/her to be a New Englander.

There is this foolish notion going around that New England centers only around Boston and that is simply not true. There are many parts of New England including Western Massachusetts that are proud to be themselves and want nothing to do with Metro Boston. Just because Boston has all the major league sports teams and the biggest population doesn't mean it properly represents all of New England. In fact, due to its diversity, it is quite the opposite.

It is fine if you consider yourself to be a Metro New Yorker. Some of your neighbors are probably native New Yorkers. Just keep in mind though that New York City is not all that is representative of New York State either.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:38 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,694,288 times
Quote:
hmm. you sure you don't occasionally post to the Red Sox newsgroup instigating trouble by saying this very thing?

Old 04-14-2009, 01:02 AM

1,813 posts, read 2,847,761 times
I am from New Haven County. I consider myself a New Englander but I love New York.

I love the Yankees but I "follow" the Red Sox in the hopes that they lose. I have nothing against the Mets but I rarely watch them. I don't care about NBA basketball or hockey. I care about UConn basketball but I only watch March Madness usually.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:02 AM

356 posts, read 808,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
You don't have to be a Bostonian or even a native of Massachusetts to be a New Englander though. I don't consider someone from Burlington, Vermont or Presque Isle, Maine to be a Metro Bostonian but I do consider him/her to be a New Englander.

There is this foolish notion going around that New England centers only around Boston and that is simply not true. There are many parts of New England including Western Massachusetts that are proud to be themselves and want nothing to do with Metro Boston. Just because Boston has all the major league sports teams and the biggest population doesn't mean it properly represents all of New England. In fact, due to its diversity, it is quite the opposite.

It is fine if you consider yourself to be a Metro New Yorker. Some of your neighbors are probably native New Yorkers. Just keep in mind though that New York City is not all that is representative of New York State either.
But isnt it a fact that Fairfield County is Metro NY?

Theres just this notion that the Red Sox represent all of New England and thats just not true. People in Western CT root for the Yankees and Mets and I wouldnt be surprised if people in Western Vermont, and Massachussetts are the same.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:08 AM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times
Quote:
But isnt it a fact that Fairfield County is Metro NY?

Theres just this notion that the Red Sox represent all of New England and thats just not true. People in Western CT root for the Yankees and Mets and I wouldnt be surprised if people in Western Vermont, and Massachussetts are the same.
I have found that folks in the Albany area lean toward the Sox.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:57 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,544,666 times
it was Yanks, Giants, Knicks all day everyday in my house growing up in New Haven county.

i was a Nets fan however

Old 04-14-2009, 04:15 PM

83,540 posts, read 75,373,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uconn99 View Post
I don't think there are many Boston Bruins fans in Connecticut.

Once the Whalers left, a vast majority of the fans kind of gave up on hockey. Look at how the Wolfpack do attendance wise (they are a Rangers farm team).

I will never ever root for the Bruins. I can't wait for the day Hartford gets another NHL team, it will happen eventually. The state of Connecticut owns the naming rights to the Whalers, more than likely any new NHL team in Hartford would be the Whale once again.
I am dreding watching the series coming up. Canadiens vs Bruins. They played last week and I needed my blood pressure meds. lol In case you missed it, this one without uploaded without the Habs 4 goals in the game.

YouTube - Bruins-Habs line brawl and more [HD]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut