Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 03:56 PM

138 posts, read 512,145 times

Advertisements

Hi

we just found out that we may have to be locating from Chicago to Stamford. We currently live about 40 miles north of chicago in a suburb that had everything you need with a mix of upper/middle/lower class. yet in a 15 minute drive more north and you are in the country. We have a pre schooler and I am trying to find what suburbs are there with decent schools that are good for a commute (right now its about an hour each way, would like 30 min or less) and is good for soccer moms. we will be looking to rent a house. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 06:39 AM

10,073 posts, read 14,458,372 times
Hey there. Stamford itself is a city of approximately 120,000 people, but doesn't really have suburbs. It is a suburb itself of New York City. I suppose one could classify Stamford as having a "mini metro area" consisting of New Canaan, Greenwich, Darien, and maybe Norwalk/Wilton, but these cities and towns are all more of a general suburban area of New York (and a wealthy area).
Stamford is a very diverse city. Some of its roots are as a city of Italians, and there still is a large presence here, but for the most part the city is incredibly diverse today. There is a good mix in the city of all types of people and income. Drive 15 minutes to north Stamford, and the area consists of rolling hills, large lots, nature preserves and resevoirs that is very New England country in nature. A beautiful area.
Take a look at the city of Stamford. There is only a fraction of the city that is undesirable--with most neighborhoods being safe, quiet, and within close proximity to shopping and amenities.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:19 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,420,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut24 View Post
Hi

we just found out that we may have to be locating from Chicago to Stamford. We currently live about 40 miles north of chicago in a suburb that had everything you need with a mix of upper/middle/lower class. yet in a 15 minute drive more north and you are in the country. We have a pre schooler and I am trying to find what suburbs are there with decent schools that are good for a commute (right now its about an hour each way, would like 30 min or less) and is good for soccer moms. we will be looking to rent a house. Thank you!
Peanut24,

I am very familiar with the Fairfield County area and I presently live on the North Shore. It would be helpful if you could set a price point for housing because housing costs in Fairfield County are slightly higher than the Chicago area, though land prices are not. I assume that after you rent you'll want to buy, but also please name a rental price. If your looking for something like Lake Forest or New Trier there is a lot of that in Fairfield County, but there is also a lot of Barrington and Long Grove. I need to know more about what you specifically want.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
Peanut24,

I am very familiar with the Fairfield County area and I presently live on the North Shore. It would be helpful if you could set a price point for housing because housing costs in Fairfield County are slightly higher than the Chicago area, though land prices are not. I assume that after you rent you'll want to buy, but also please name a rental price. If your looking for something like Lake Forest or New Trier there is a lot of that in Fairfield County, but there is also a lot of Barrington and Long Grove. I need to know more about what you specifically want.
well in an ideal world I would to rent a 3 bedroom house for no more the $2000 with good schools....I have been looking more at Newton/Sandy hook but I would like to know how far of a drive it is from there to Stamford. I am used to an hour commute in Chicago Traffic right now and found nice houses to rent in this area for under $2000

Old 02-28-2009, 12:00 PM

200 posts, read 611,226 times
Quote:
well in an ideal world I would to rent a 3 bedroom house for no more the $2000 with good schools....I have been looking more at Newton/Sandy hook but I would like to know how far of a drive it is from there to Stamford. I am used to an hour commute in Chicago Traffic right now and found nice houses to rent in this area for under $2000
Newtown or Sandy Hook to Stamford can be over an hour since there is no direct route. Traffic in Fairfield County is bad too.

It is a very wealthy county consisting of all very wealthy towns, and two very impoverished cities: Bridgeport and Norwalk. Parts of Norwalk are incredibly wealthy. Coming from Chicago you'll probably have sticker shock in the Stamford area, because prices in that area are more than "slightly higher" than Chicago. Northern FFC or New Haven County are more along the lines of the prices of Chicago, maybe a little higher in CT though. Only thing is, cheaper it gets, more miles to NYC it is.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:04 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
Stamford is one of the pricest places to live in the country. Its suburbs are among the most desrable places to live in the New York metro area. Towns like Greenwich, Darien and New Canaan are very nice and very upscale, as is Westport, Wilton and Weston.

For a more affordable and diverse area, consider Fairfield. It has excellent schools (check out the links below), great shopping and restaurants and nice parks and beaches. There is a wide range of housing options from modest starter apartments to stunning estates. A large part of Fairfield has two acre zoning so it has a rural character. Plus you can drive a few minutes north and be in even more rural areas. The train to Stamford is about a 25 minute trip. I would not recommend driving since I-95 and the Merritt Parkway are very congested during rush hour. Good luck, Jay

Strategic School Profiles by District

Strategic School Profiles by School

Old 02-28-2009, 12:08 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
Quote:
Newtown is over 40 miles from Stamford and the drive would be over an hour without traffic. During rush hour the traffic is pretty bad so you could easily add at least a half hour to that. Jay

Old 02-28-2009, 12:13 PM

Thank you for the information! b/c the job is in Stamford I would rather be farther from NYC then closer for cheaper housing. I will look into Fairfield. Thank you for letting me know how far Newton is, yeah thats too far. I am getting a better understanding of the area.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:47 PM

6 posts, read 20,034 times
I miss CT, we moved to RI and it is not the same. I grew up in Stamford many years ago and it has since become a city for just wealthy people, with some poor people to work the service jobs. It is kind of sad. But I miss CT so much.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:41 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,436,931 times
finding a 3 bedroom rental in Stamford for 2000 or less will be tough to do, I would try and go further to the north or west from stamford, and as far from NYC as possible to find a more affordable area. But keep in mind the towns with the highest scoring Top schools often come with a bigger price tag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut