Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 01:35 PM

113 posts, read 325,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I never said I lived in Madison, but that does not mean I do not know the town. I have been there more than twice and know people that have lived there for longer than a decade. Is anything I said not true? You may have your gripes with it, but the people I know there like it a lot. Jay

Yeah about nothing of living above Rt80. There is a stigma to it as you said there is not. The red shirting (leaving kids back for kindergarten ) it is common

Old 12-20-2009, 08:35 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,918,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorelinect View Post
Yeah about nothing of living above Rt80. There is a stigma to it as you said there is not. The red shirting (leaving kids back for kindergarten ) it is common
What are you talking about? This does not make sense.

britmax - It is not that people are snobby so much as they are more reserved here. People here respect privacy and will be friendly if you are firendly to them, but it will take time. The best suggestion is to join in local acitivites and try to find people with common interests. Jay

Old 12-20-2009, 10:12 PM

519 posts, read 582,531 times
We considered Madison very seriously, but ultimately decided on Lower FF county. In the end, too much driving to other places to get what one "needs" for us. YM(literally)MV of course.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:57 PM

35 posts, read 87,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britmax View Post
Yes I have heard all about the snobby people in your state and very unfriendly cold people too so worried to be moving there. i hear everyone is unhappy too. can someone please tell me about this. thank you
I wouldn't place too much stock in a magazine's interpretation of happiness of a state. These same magazines regurgitate the same mumbo jumbo lists every year or so to sell copies. Rolling Stone does it with "best guitarists / rock bands / songs" etc. Year to year its different, and many of the songs/guitarists on the list are the same. This, I feel, is no different. go the Hawaii forum and see all the people trying to get people NOT to move there. Wasn't Hawaii up there on that list? Also on that same forum, someone noticed the states that tended to rank happier (I think Louisiana was #1) also had some of the highest percentages of dropouts, teen pregnancies, enemployment, etc. If that's happiness... I REALLY don't want to know what unhappiness is.

There are without doubt, snobbier areas and unfriendly people here. You will find that anywhere, from the hustle and bustle of NYC to the "good-ol-boys" mentality of smaller towns - where people don't want outsiders moving in who werent born and raised there... that exists just as much but gets far less on-air coverage. It is amazing though what people bring onto themselves and the mental trickery people can put themselves through. The only place in this state I've felt unwelcomed and unfriendly was on my old college campus (University of Hartford) and most of the students were from New York (long island, specifically) or New Jersey. I live in Waterbury, historically a melting pot of racial tensions so thick that there used to be churches for the different racial denominations within blocks of each other, IE the Italians went here, the Lithuanians here, the Irish here, and down the line. I can honestly say from my experience, the attitude you give is the one you will get back in CT. We are not here to be everyone's friend, and we certainly don't go to bed upset at night if someone wasn't friendly to us. BUT: a genuine disposition does not go unnoticed here either. Many people come here hearing horror stories about unfriendliness and make it come true by expecting it to be true. We are too close to NYC not to have a little of that thick-skin engrained in us, however we are far enough away to still be decent to one another. We don't have much manufacturing jobs (if any at all), and a lot of our state tends to get defined by Fairfield county or Hartford, heavy hitters in the Financial industry. I wouldn't expect an investment banker who just finished a 12 hour day (or a CPA, for that matter... trust me, I'm engaged to one in training) to have the disposition at 7PM as that of a Kindergarden teacher.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:09 AM

10 posts, read 18,491 times
I don't know anymore. My first child went to parties in pre-school had play dates etc. My second 4 years the younger in two years had not had either. The teachers say parents are getting more hidden.

(CT is the least friendliest State). I would not say the Economist or the WSJ are joke publications!! Are you a social anthropologist? How many states or countries did you live in to compare yourself? I sort of agree and with people around here I am sort of like Samatha Brown on the Travel Channel next to three kids in my child's class whom never left CT or Boston is the only city outside CT they have went to. This state is very insular outside lower Fairfield Cty.

A neighbor with an opposite sex child said it best; "Why would I want to watch some other kid I don't know or spend $10 on a b-day gift for someone I don't know." Maybe for your child's enjoyment?

Old 05-06-2010, 06:34 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,652,642 times
Magazines can print what they want but the proof is in the pudding. I find CT people to be so friendly and fun. Same with the folks I know from MA and NH and RI. They are very much more social from a co-worker perspective and in the neighborhoods I grew up in. We still all keep in touch and treat each other like family. Yes, I have bumped into snobs there but they are more a source of amusement. Then again, they are cetainly not exclusive to CT.

It really is amazing how wonderful people from CT are!

Old 05-06-2010, 04:57 PM

113 posts, read 325,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumbo80 View Post
I don't know anymore. My first child went to parties in pre-school had play dates etc. My second 4 years the younger in two years had not had either. The teachers say parents are getting more hidden.

(CT is the least friendliest State). I would not say the Economist or the WSJ are joke publications!! Are you a social anthropologist? How many states or countries did you live in to compare yourself? I sort of agree and with people around here I am sort of like Samatha Brown on the Travel Channel next to three kids in my child's class whom never left CT or Boston is the only city outside CT they have went to. This state is very insular outside lower Fairfield Cty.

A neighbor with an opposite sex child said it best; "Why would I want to watch some other kid I don't know or spend $10 on a b-day gift for someone I don't know." Maybe for your child's enjoyment?

Hey we should get our kids together. My wife has the same problem with our pre-school daughter. No one wants to be bothered. The best was her b-day party and there were only 3 parents that socialized with us: the hosts. One just was very shy so I'll leave her out. The rest were stuck up snots whom did not even watch their kids.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:20 PM

269 posts, read 607,615 times
Back to the main topic, I'm glad for Madison that their school are doing well and are being recognized for that. I do think there is a problem of kids in more affluent areas being better prepared for school and having higher expectations of success. I don't know of any real solutions to the problem, but it does seem good to recognize at least one major cause of the "achievement gap".

Old 05-06-2010, 05:48 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,844,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumbo80 View Post
I don't know anymore. My first child went to parties in pre-school had play dates etc. My second 4 years the younger in two years had not had either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorelinect View Post
Hey we should get our kids together. My wife has the same problem with our pre-school daughter. No one wants to be bothered. The best was her b-day party and there were only 3 parents that socialized with us: the hosts. The rest were stuck up snots whom did not even watch their kids.
Well, I certainly wouldn't expect anymore invitations with these attitudes.

I am a super busy parent that loves to meet and socialize with other parents at parties but there are certain types of people I avoid like the plague...ones that are miserable, complainers and name callers. If I am introduced to someone who is "offensive" to me, I move along because life is busy and time is short, therefore I will spend time with the parents that I enjoy their company.

If your children aren't getting many playdates, it's not the others that are the problem, it's most likely your child.

Most parents certainly do bother.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:07 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,844,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appias View Post
Back to the main topic, I'm glad for Madison that their school are doing well and are being recognized for that. I do think there is a problem of kids in more affluent areas being better prepared for school and having higher expectations of success. I don't know of any real solutions to the problem, but it does seem good to recognize at least one major cause of the "achievement gap".
The achievement gap is a national phenomena in our country. There are many reasons debated about the causes. One of the main factors associated with low student achievement is poverty. Students living in persistent poverty are more likely to suffer from many conditions that impede their learning; inadequate prenatal care, poor health care, unstable family life, lack of resources and books to aid education, and parents with lower levels of education.

CT's gap is wide because we have some top performing schools in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut