Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2011, 02:56 PM

6,130 posts, read 5,098,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I can relate to that. This morning I got up and checked the driveway to make sure it had not been plowed in. It was not so I went and took a shower. When I came down after getting dressed for work, guess what? there was about 3 feet of snow across my driveway. I had to shovel the whole thing so I could get out. I was not pleased. What gets me is why they waited until this morning to do this. Right before people are leaving for work. And what about people who are elderly or injured? They have to pay someone AGAIN to come back so they could get out of their driveway. Very frustrating. Jay
Happened to me this morning too. Fortunately my AWD sedan made it over the pile left behind so I could get to work. My diligent snowplow guy showed up later so that my wife could get out. But you bet it's going to cost me $!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 03:38 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
this is the same problem we had,
wednesday morning we all got out there and cleared, got it done with shovels and the blower in about 4 hours...
we have a store front on mainstreet that had to be cleared within so many hours of the end of storm, plows had already been through and done a so/so job so we headed off...cleared out there, get home to find a 3 ft wall of snow at the bottom of our drive, the guy that plows the driveway across from ours had literally just pushed everything into our drive...nice...
took us another couple hours to clear that.
then the mailman showed up and drove over the corners pushing and impacting snow onto the base of the driveway...we needed actual shovels and sharp blades to move that crap...

then this morning everything was cleared when my mum whent out, this afternoon couldnt get back up the driveway because there was a 3ft wall of snow/icey/slushy crap piled into the driveway, the plows had been back through to widen the origional plow job they did to make road 2 lanes again... it took me and my mum an hour to remove what the plow had so nicely put back in the driveway for us and to make it worse it was mostly hea vy wet icey crap mixed with sand and salt so it was even heavier!

dont get me wrong, i love that we have plows that get out there and clear the roads so life can go on as usual...but seriously?

heck getting out of our street is like taking your life into your hands, theres snow piled so high on the corner (about 7ft) that the ONLY way to see the traffic comming at you from the opposite lane is to pull into the middle of the road!

im SOOOO ready for spring!

Old 01-13-2011, 04:24 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Happened to me as well but i understand the city plows have to plow the city streets not our driveways..they were making the roads wider therefore the new blocking of driveways..I saw them do it late last night and i Knew i would have to shovel before leaving this morning..you cant expect them to push aside the snow in every driveway.... First is to make 1 lane available on roads, then make them wider, then clear the slush and trim the edges more..

Old 01-13-2011, 07:24 PM

After having been out & about today...hats off to West Hartford and other municipalities in the area for just amazing snow removal, all considering. This kind of storm would have shut down most other cities for 2-3 days. Glad to be living here...

Old 01-13-2011, 07:33 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajmelk View Post
After having been out & about today...hats off to West Hartford and other municipalities in the area for just amazing snow removal, all considering. This kind of storm would have shut down most other cities for 2-3 days. Glad to be living here...
I agree. They have done a fantastic job at snow removal all around the state. They were still out today in Wallingford trying to widen the roads a bit.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I agree. They have done a fantastic job at snow removal all around the state. They were still out today in Wallingford trying to widen the roads a bit.
Glad to see our high town taxes put to good use

Old 01-13-2011, 07:42 PM

Agreed... Mike Bettes was just on The Weather Channel talking about gow Pathetic NYC was and how atlanta folks need to stop complaining because they only have 11 plows down there and the govenor told everyone they wouldnt have the roads clear for days... CT has done well all around.. 16-20 inches around here and the roads were fine to travel that afternoon!

Wish the media covered that.

The south is a mess...they are experiencing cold temps and seen storms not usual..

People need to prepare this will all be more frequent and not every 15 years.. I been saying this for 10 years now

Old 01-14-2011, 04:34 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Agreed... Mike Bettes was just on The Weather Channel talking about gow Pathetic NYC was and how atlanta folks need to stop complaining because they only have 11 plows down there and the govenor told everyone they wouldnt have the roads clear for days... CT has done well all around.. 16-20 inches around here and the roads were fine to travel that afternoon!

Wish the media covered that.

The south is a mess...they are experiencing cold temps and seen storms not usual..

People need to prepare this will all be more frequent and not every 15 years.. I been saying this for 10 years now
I think a testament to this is both Hartford and Danbury only had delays with the schools yesterday and not closures despite getting over 2' of snow (Stamford also was only a delay, but they had a little less snow).

Old 01-15-2011, 05:54 AM

Events to watch for::::

Jan. 15
Jan. 19
Jan. 21
Jan. 24
Jan. 27

Today snow should stay north of the coast. I heard Poughkeepsie has 2 inches this morning...that will all push East.

Wednesday Morning is going to be a mess! I am worried. It will snow Tuesday night (few inches) then turn to freezing rain or sleet in the morning. That is going to be trouble for the commute! Then it will be rain all day(locally heavy) and then back to snow Wednesday night (couple inches)...

Jan. 21st... 2 models showing Blizzard for us.

Jan 24th .. models showed a light even but now they dont show anything. Maybe it merged with the 21st hence the bigger storm.

Jan. 27th...Still to be determined. Could be another major snowstorm.

Enjoy. Will be back tomorrow

Old 01-15-2011, 06:54 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
ugh that freezing rain/sleet is not appealing what-so ever....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut