Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2010, 07:17 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,682,794 times

Advertisements

Rocky Hill Public Health Laboratory Blocked By Bond Commission - Courant.com

I work for the state lab in Hartford. The plan was in the works for more than 5 years regardless of what the article says. They had set aside 70 million dollars or so for a new lab in rocky hill across from dinosaur state park. They had put out bids for contracts to see which would be the best deal for contstruction for us. That being which contractor would offer the cheapest overall cost for constructing the lab. The bid we accepted was 12 million dollars less than projected which was great. The big stink is that the company offering us this bid is non union.

So now the officials in rocky hill are saying they had no knowledge of this bla bla blah. Its a crock of sh8t. They knew about it. Now they are playing politics with our jobs. They are saying its a danger to the community and other such things which are totally untrue. The union stuffed residents mailboxes with fliers stating such things as unsafe, biohazard etc.

The current lab has been in downtwon hartford next to the bushnell foralmost as long as I have lived. There has never been a major safety issue to my knowledge. Its a secure building with cameras, security, passcards, and state police. There is nothing unsafe about it. The new lab will only be that much more secure. We dont do research testing on animals. The only animal tests we do are rabies tests on dead animals. We do blood lead screenings for newborns, STD tests, occasional anthrax or white powder testing, flu testing etc. We are the ones that keep CT healthy for the most part.

I guess Im just venting because the way the media is reporting this and because my job is now at risk because of stupid politics. Its very possible that if we dont get the new lab build that the old lab would be shut down and the jobs subcontracted out to most likely yale. That would mean hundreds of jobs gone.

I guess Im somewhat curious as to what Rocky Hill residents have been hearing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 10:26 AM

34,943 posts, read 56,970,098 times
I saw this article. It is another political manuever and shows exactly what is wrong with our state legislators. The unions are using them and they are letting themselves be used. It should stop. This state has more important issues to deal with. Jay

Old 03-17-2010, 01:39 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,510,474 times
Maybe they want to keep people from hanging out at Vitos too often.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,072 times
The 12 million dollar savings is made up of BOTH union and non-union subcontractors, who competitively bid against each other to win contracts. Completely fair competition. It is not from one non-union contractor.
If the unions are unhappy, it can only mean they want a project labor agreement (all union job). If that happens – 12 million savings, gone. Hey union - how about targeting the owners of the companies you supply labor? Have them sharpen the pencil and win some bids. Leave the taxpayers alone and let the union and non-union workers, who won the job, get to work.
The big stink is the union asking taxpers to pay more money to build this laboratory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut