Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2020, 03:41 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
One thing to be aware of. If you get any android or IOS based reader or smart device you can download a reader app for Nook or Kindle. HOWEVER as far as I know there is no EPUB (Nook) reader app for a Kindle. Amazon tightly controls their universe. I read Kindle ebooks, Epub (Nook and opensource) and PDF files on my IPhone, IPad, and 7" Nook Android tablet. I have an older Nook Simpletouch that does not have a Kindle App but is my reader of choice when outside because the Paperwhite display (no backlit) is better in direct sunlight. It is the closest to reading a printed page that I have seen.

I prefer Epub books over Kindle but if the Kindle edition is significantly cheaper I will buy it. That is mainly a decision based on preferring to keep a competitive market even if Amazon is the 800 lb gorilla in the room.
You can convert from anything to anything. I've done it. Kindle (Mobi), Epub, PDF etc.

Then you can even load the books yourself through a USB cable. No need to be tied down to any universe. Many of the books you download directly are copy protected via DRM. There's a way around that as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2020, 03:50 PM

8,894 posts, read 211,677 times
I have a Kindle Fire and I have the Nook app on my netbook. From what I have noticed if you are buying books from the Amazon Store versus Nook Store, I find Amazon is usually cheaper for most titles.

Old 12-03-2020, 04:21 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,194,523 times
my public library has an easy process for Kindle books, not sure what it's like for Nooks but might be something to look into when making the decision. I read mostly library books except when I get too impatient to wait for something that is popular and there's a long waiting list

Old 12-04-2020, 10:24 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,246,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
You can convert from anything to anything. I've done it. Kindle (Mobi), Epub, PDF etc.

Then you can even load the books yourself through a USB cable. No need to be tied down to any universe. Many of the books you download directly are copy protected via DRM. There's a way around that as well.
Absolutely.

And I'm really loving my Kobo Caibre H2o

Old 12-06-2020, 11:21 AM

972 posts, read 541,989 times
I have a Kindle Oasis (got it at a good discount on Prime Day) and like it a lot. It isn't color.

I too was trying to decide between Kindle, Nook, and Kobo. My first inclination was for the Nook, because I liked the idea of walking into any B&N and getting tech support. I think you can also read books that you don't own (which means own the right to access) for up to an our when using your Nook in B&N. Unfortunately, I read too much about B&N having a questionable future. If they go out of business, what happens to my ebook library? That was the deal breaker. If B&N and the Nook's future looked more secure, I'd most probably have a Nook. I know DRM can be stripped with Calibre, but I'd rather not get into that. Even if I did want to do that, I read that these companies are doing more to prevent DRM stripping.

Kobo seemed great too, but I read that the build quality of the Kindle devices, especially the Oasis, was a little better. When the Oasis went on sale for almost the same price as the Libra H2O, I just decided to go with the Oasis. I already had Prime and was fairly active with Amazon, so it seemed like a little troublesome not to go with Kindle. So far, the Oasis has given my what I wanted.

Old 12-07-2020, 05:24 AM

I hear they are ok; however, I won't purchase Amazon products, but I will purchase products through Amazon.

My first two e-readers were Amazon Kindles, one lasted one day, one lasted about three days and then sent me to B&N's nook (this was about 2009-2010 time frame).

As for walking into a B&N store for help....I doubt that will work. Just before I switched to Kobo from B&N, I could not find anyone in the store in Idaho Falls who knew what the new larger Nook looked like, where it was located in the store. Reminded me of walking into a Verizon or AT&T store and attempting to find someone intelligent enough to explain phones.

But ONLY looking at the Oasis at a Best Buy, the Kobo appears to be as well made and was 100 bucks less for basically the same size tablet with same basic features. But the Oasis was on my very short list, but it is an Amazon product.

However, I know a few people who have kindles, not sure what models and they love them and have had no problems.

And really, with the software out there it makes no difference what reader you get, you can always read an epub file on them all and it appears all DRMs can be stripped off to allow it.

There would be some convenience to go to Amazon to purchase the books; and the Kobo site took some time to navigate.

Old 12-07-2020, 05:49 AM

Just happened on this article for a sale on the last gen oasis in case anyone is interested....
https://www.androidcentral.com/amazo...e-one-day-sale

Old 12-17-2020, 07:12 PM

7 posts, read 3,296 times
OP - have you made a decision? If so which one and why? I am looking to get one soon and find the info here interesting and wonder how your case played out.

Old 12-21-2020, 09:17 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
I read several articles about readers and tablets and finally bought my SIL a Fire HD10 for Xmas
He can use Kindle app for reading
And watch videos in the car when they take trips
It just seems more versatile and was less $ tha. The Oasis
If he doesn’t want it can return and get what he wants
I use iPad for reading w/ Kindle app and have Kindle unlimited
This may be the last year for that since I am finding fewer books I want to read via the unlimited offer

Old 12-23-2020, 06:16 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,235,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I read several articles about readers and tablets and finally bought my SIL a Fire HD10 for Xmas
He can use Kindle app for reading
And watch videos in the car when they take trips
It just seems more versatile and was less $ tha. The Oasis
If he doesn’t want it can return and get what he wants
I use iPad for reading w/ Kindle app and have Kindle unlimited
This may be the last year for that since I am finding fewer books I want to read via the unlimited offer
A Fire HD10 is definitely more versatile than the Oasis. The only differences with respect to reading are:

1) Oasis battery life is measured in days compared to hours on a Fire
2) eInk can be easier on the eyes than a LCD display

But again this is subject to individual preference. I have an Oasis yet I still do more reading on my iPad because it's always with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics