Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2023, 06:08 AM

43,269 posts, read 77,073,002 times

Advertisements

Bought a Samsung QLED 2 years ago.
Easy choice. Spent more time price shopping than I did picking a size and model.

It was just another experience contributing to personal conviction that the Holy Grail Search For The Absolute, Unequivocal Best is typically nearly a waste of lifetimes. There were so many great options from which to choose. And, new models come out all the time. The Ephemeral Best won't be The Best for long.

I would rather watch hockey on my TV than worry about how Best it is or used to be or never was.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 05-10-2023 at 06:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2023, 12:20 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
Don't really disagree with any of that, Mike. If you want the absolute best, it's going to cost you. OLED is very expensive. Does QLED pale in comparison? Absolutely not. Hell, my main TV for years was a $399 not-speical-letter-LED anything. Just plain old LED 4K TCL Roku TV. And it was great.

Slight disagree with this one though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
The Ephemeral Best won't be The Best for long.
OLED is so good it's been the very best for some time now. It will happen, of course, but it's going pretty sloooow. We're still not sure what is going to be better then it. Micro-LED? Mini-LED? Quantum Dot Display? Or maybe... Quantum Dot OLED? LOL So that would be QD-OLED.

(My money's on Micro-LED).

Old 05-17-2023, 06:40 PM

2,637 posts, read 1,175,151 times
I want a new TV that is bigger. Preferably Samsung and I really don't want a smart TV. To me a smart is not at all necessary when it doesn't have the ability to lower the background music.

I called a store today and asked it the new smart TV's have a connector in the back or something that I can connect a little device for the hearing aids to work through bluetooth. This way sound can be turned off in the room yet go directly into my hearing aids.

I also asked the salesman if the new smart TV's have a part where I can connect earbuds or a mono ear plug into it for when the hearing aids stop working or when the bluetooth stops working.

The salesman knew nothing, absolutely nothing. So I ask what the heck good is a smart TV when the not so smart TV I have now is better except it's just to small?

I watch TV in both light and dark. Scary movies are good for in the dark watching Mwaah

Last edited by staystill; 05-17-2023 at 06:42 PM.. Reason: oh and I use the Roku plug in device too.

Old 05-18-2023, 07:25 AM

Many newer TV's have Bluetooth already so you don't need to connect anything for that.

Old 05-18-2023, 08:48 AM

43,269 posts, read 77,073,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Don't really disagree with any of that, Mike. If you want the absolute best, it's going to cost you. OLED is very expensive. Does QLED pale in comparison? Absolutely not. Hell, my main TV for years was a $399 not-speical-letter-LED anything. Just plain old LED 4K TCL Roku TV. And it was great.

Slight disagree with this one though.

OLED is so good it's been the very best for some time now. It will happen, of course, but it's going pretty sloooow. We're still not sure what is going to be better then it. Micro-LED? Mini-LED? Quantum Dot Display? Or maybe... Quantum Dot OLED? LOL So that would be QD-OLED.

(My money's on Micro-LED).

I don't want to spend more until the networks figure out how to actually do hockey video.
The production quality standards are somewhere between Uncle Bob and his 1989 Panasonic camcorder and a middle school audi0-video club.

Will OLED pixelate as artistically as QLED when someone kicks the camera power cord?

Old 05-18-2023, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Many newer TV's have Bluetooth already so you don't need to connect anything for that.
That is what I was sort of told with the water detector. It had an app that was suppose to work with my hearing aids app and it never did.

The hearing aid company Phonak blamed the water detector app company YoLink and vice versa. I never got the help I needed with that so I returned the YoLink.

Same problem with Alexa. I could hear it say something but never clear enough even with hearing aids on. I had to always run up to it and put it against my ear so my hearing aid could let me hear it clearly. When I didn't have my hearing aids on it was nearly impossible to hear anything except the alarm that was loud enough and just a loud sound. No need to make it clear when it's just a loud alarm next to me.

But my other concern is the input or output jack for earbuds/headphones. I can sometimes find extension cords to make the headphones further away from the TV when the hearing aids stop working. I prefer the bluetooth without needing to be careful of the wire with headphones. But those headphones, earbuds come in handy as I said when the hearing aids stop working.

Also I have a new Roku device that plugs into my TV. Last thing I need is a freaking app for that so they can charge me monthly fees to use.

Last edited by staystill; 05-18-2023 at 09:53 AM.. Reason: I called a store salesman & he had no clue if they are earbud and hearing aid accessible. :(

Old 05-19-2023, 07:52 AM

BT is going to work well on a TV by any of the good companies, Sony, LG, Samsung. Even Vizio. TCL.

As for your Roku, if it is the higher end one, the remote will have a headphone jack on it. It's pretty sweet. There is a Roku app for your phone that will also let you do a few things. You can connect a headphone jack to your phone if it has one and use the Roku app to listen to your TV through headphones. Likewise you can connect your hearing aid to your phone via BT and use the Roku app to listen that way. There is no charge for the Roku app, don't be such a cynic.

It just lets you use a smartphone as a Remote among other things. The only way to get charged through your Roku is if you actually sign up for 3rd party services through the Roku. Example: signing up for HBO or Netflix through the Roku app/account. Not something you can do accidentally. Well, I suppose someone could.

Old 05-20-2023, 04:40 PM

Sony got me as their customer. They had the size, nice looking enough picture, the output plug for a converter for hearing aids. I had to go without the plug for headphones which I would have like to have since Phonak is such crappy brand for me. I made the comment to the audiologist the next step for me is call a lawyer because of the constant problems with the hearing aids. Quite a coincidence when she left all of a sudden I'm not constantly having problems with the Bluetooth on my hearing aids. You know when they need constant reprogramming and adjusting and the warranty runs out it costs more to fix the problem they created.

Anyway, Samsung blew it for me. They didn't have what I needed. Why don't companies understand having that jack doesn't cost customers a bunch of money when it's a part of what is in their TV. I knew someone who cry babied all the time that it costs her more money to buy a TV that has closed captioning what a screwball thing to think when it's just factored in like everything else on a TV

Yet I bet no one has a problem with being forced to buy smart TV when the only real feature the smart TV has for most people is the apps that we can get on a Roku.

Old 05-21-2023, 09:48 AM

4,416 posts, read 2,939,412 times
With 1080 resolution, can can most people even notice a difference in quality between mid range TV brands and higher end??

Old 05-22-2023, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
With 1080 resolution, can can most people even notice a difference in quality between mid range TV brands and higher end??
Only on a larger TV. THink 42" or larger. Smaller then that, you'd be hard pressed to see a difference between 4k and 1080p.

Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
Why don't companies understand having that jack doesn't cost customers a bunch of money when it's a part of what is in their TV.
When will consumers understand that technology moves on? TV's don't need jacks anymore because Bluetooth is becoming standard on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics