Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 10:19 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,233,987 times

Advertisements

Thanks... I went there and posted some questions.

Hopefully I can get some answers to this problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 11:57 PM

Thanks Titan! I got info from that site and fixed my issue!

I found out that obviously I had never even "set up" the box to receive HD signals! The cable company or anyone else never told me that and I never got any instructions with this box!

I went to some links that a guy there posted for the cable box and "activated" it for HDTV!

The change is amazing, so obviously there was nothing wrong with my set!

Thanks again for that Sharp link, as that steered me in the right direction!

Old 11-22-2008, 07:11 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,737,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Thanks Titan! I got info from that site and fixed my issue!

I found out that obviously I had never even "set up" the box to receive HD signals! The cable company or anyone else never told me that and I never got any instructions with this box!

I went to some links that a guy there posted for the cable box and "activated" it for HDTV!

The change is amazing, so obviously there was nothing wrong with my set!

Thanks again for that Sharp link, as that steered me in the right direction!
I am so glad that you found it. I know your TV is awesome so I found it unusual about what you were describing.

HDTVs are awesome and it is now very hard to watch Standard Def when you get exposed to High Definition.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
I am so glad that you found it. I know your TV is awesome so I found it unusual about what you were describing.

HDTVs are awesome and it is now very hard to watch Standard Def when you get exposed to High Definition.
YES! So much so that I want all my stations on HD! Unfortunately for now, all I have subscribed to are the local stations.

Thanks again!

Old 11-24-2008, 10:22 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,737,381 times
We have 4 HDTVs in the house. I am going to donate the old clunker CRT upstairs.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
We have 4 HDTVs in the house. I am going to donate the old clunker CRT upstairs.
WOW... well, we only have one now and its in my bedroom.

Downstairs in the living room we have placed my old 27 inch Apex flatscreen w/built in DVD player. That is a really good TV and I loved it. I have had it for about 6 years and never any problems, even with the DVD player. Knock on wood.

Other TVs in the house (in each of the three other bedrooms and kitchen) are standard 21 inch sets... and down in my other bedroom (where I sleep) downstairs is a 1976 Sears TV and up here in my upstairs bedroom I have a green 1972 Zenith... its so groovy!

Old 11-26-2008, 12:43 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,899,456 times
I'm going to be frank with you and say - READ YOUR TV INSTRUCTIONS MANUAL.

I mean, geez man, you are asking some basic questions. And that's fine but you have a $1,500 or so piece of high tech state of the art equipment there you should know the basics.

Then you get to more complex questions and problems - backlight settings, calibration, 1080 vs 780. 60hz vs 120hz, firmware updates, dead pixels, judder, etc.

The Sharp Aquos is an excellent set, you should be getting an excellent signal on either SD or HD channels. You got some good starter advice here and the AVS forum is excellent but they are not for people that don't know the difference between HDMI and composite cables.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:59 PM

Gee - thanks for the "nice and frank" reply , but if you have of read my updates, you will see that my problem is that the HD cable box was not even "set" to get the signals from HD thanks to the local cable company not telling me - I got no manuals with this HD box, nor that good of a manual with my TV.

I do not think that by me not getting a HD picture on my TV was not a minor issue. I was getting non-HD signals on my HD stations, so you can understand my concern.

I also knew the difference between a HDMI cable and composite cables. When I said I was unsure, I was not referring to the cables, but the other question. I did not know I made myself sound like a moron.

The main thing is that the TV is working fine now (thanks to titaniummd) for steering me to that forum where someone posted a link that helped me find info on my HD box. I found out myself by reading the online manual for the HD box what my problem was. Had my CC given me a manual/info on this box, there never would have been an issue.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I'm going to be frank with you and say - READ YOUR TV INSTRUCTIONS MANUAL.

I mean, geez man, you are asking some basic questions. And that's fine but you have a $1,500 or so piece of high tech state of the art equipment there you should know the basics.

Then you get to more complex questions and problems - backlight settings, calibration, 1080 vs 780. 60hz vs 120hz, firmware updates, dead pixels, judder, etc.

The Sharp Aquos is an excellent set, you should be getting an excellent signal on either SD or HD channels. You got some good starter advice here and the AVS forum is excellent but they are not for people that don't know the difference between HDMI and composite cables.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:18 AM

312 posts, read 861,052 times
what do the composite cables due????/red blue ect

Old 11-29-2008, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basaltfire View Post
what do the composite cables due????/red blue ect

On mine, it looks like a variety.... I see "audio" and composite on the plugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics