Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 09:19 PM

220 posts, read 454,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtx View Post
Gabe;
Why is the term "gringo" forsaken? Everyone here knows what it means. It is not derogatory in my mind, it simply means non-Hispanic, or in most cases, "English White". In most Spanish/Mexican-American minds, when you say "gringo", it is not the same as the bad "N" word when referring to Afro-Americans. It is not a racial slur. I don't feel insulted when someone calls me a "gringo", or when someone calls my wife a "gringeta", because that's what we are.

BTW, white folks here are referred to as "Caucasians", which is totally wrong, if you go to eastern Europe history and look up the ancestry of the people from the Caucuses, you will learn that they are considered "black" in Russian society. It's funny how this stuff get's confused.

Sometimes we take this PC BS too far. Besides,,, I'm too old to take this stuff seriously.
I usually just say white, but I have a fondness for the term "Anglo." That is what my mom would use.

Of course that term probably offends some white folks who aren't of British origin, but I too dislike the lengths our country has gone to be politically correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 02:27 PM

484 posts, read 1,631,647 times
In all honesty, I think most white folks don't care about labels,,, they just want to be left alone to enjoy their life and not be persecuted for being white. I understand some of the angst and anger from blacks about slavery from 150 years ago, but personally, that has nothing to do with me since I am from a family which emigrated after 1865 and we never owned a slave or ever had a fight with a Mexican. Someone is going to have to work very hard to make me feel any guilt over slavery or the Alamo.

I get more worked up by the moron at Taco Bell who gives me nothing but Hot sauce for my taco when I ask for mild.

That, to me, is a real racial issue!

Old 02-14-2013, 05:12 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
On the City-Data Corpus Christi data page you can click on the zip code map for any area in the City and pull up the detailed data for that zip-code. //www.city-data.com/city/Corpus-Christi-Texas.html

Free USPS Lookup and Boundary Map
For areas outside of the city you can look up the zip code on the USPS zip code map and then use the City-Data zip code search here //www.city-data.com/ to find the data. Zipskinny is another source.

78410 Calallen appears to have the highest in Corpus Christi proper at 59%

Is Flour Bluff not in the CC city limits? The City-Data zip code map does not include it so I had to go to Zipskinny to find it.

78418 Flour Bluff and NPIsland is 69.6% white.

Portland (a suburb) 78374 has 60.1% to 66.5% white depending on which source you look at.

78362 Ingleside is 64.1% white.
I apoligize, I thought I had quoted the following post regarding what areas had the most white residents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isellpower View Post
Since it's o.k. to ask where the mostly black neighborhoods are, how about the mostly white areas? I'll be moving there shortly and I would like access to the "gringo" amenities. Due to simply being white, money is no object of course.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
I don't find "gringos" offensive... I just think it's a stupid word. Why not just say white? I could care less about political correctness. I just don't think CC is a Mexican town like you are trying to portray it. It is not the RGV. Its majority hispanic yes, but it has an American culture with a Mexican influence, not the other way around.
"gringo" is a derogatory term for "white", similar to "n****", "s***", "c****", "j**" and other racial descriptors that I find offensive and try to avoid using. Anyone who uses the term "gringo" should recognize that they are participating in a form of racial hatred that they probably despise and which we all need to evolve beyond.

There is only ONE world, we all share it, lets try to learn to get along.

If we can't, our children probably don't deserve to inherit it.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:58 PM

CptnRn'

What is origin of the word "gringo". As far as I know it has no meaning in proper Spanish, I'd like to know.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:30 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
Quote:
CptnRn'

What is origin of the word "gringo". As far as I know it has no meaning in proper Spanish, I'd like to know.
I once heard a radio show that said that it derived from "griego"- Spanish for "Greek". When my parents and relatives have used the word "gringo", it was NEVER flattering. It's usually meant to portray the Anglos as "thieving, arrogant, racist, etc" They grew up in a time where Anglos did some heinous things to them. I understand their frustration.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
CptnRn'

gringo - definition of gringo by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
Quote:
grin·go (grngg)n. pl. grin·gos Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a foreigner in Latin America, especially an American or English person.

From the American Heritage dictionary:

[Spanish, foreign, foreign language, gibberish, probably alteration of griego, Greek, from Latin Graecus; see Greek.]

Word History: In Latin America the word gringo is an offensive term for a foreigner, particularly an American or English person. But the word existed in Spanish before this particular sense came into being. In fact, gringo may be an alteration of the word griego, the Spanish development of Latin Graecus, "Greek." Griego first meant "Greek, Grecian," as an adjective and "Greek, Greek language," as a noun. The saying "It's Greek to me" exists in Spanish, as it does in English, and helps us understand why griego came to mean "unintelligible language" and perhaps, by further extension of this idea, "stranger, that is, one who speaks a foreign language." The altered form gringo lost touch with Greek but has the senses "unintelligible language," "foreigner, especially an English person," and in Latin America, "North American or Britisher." Its first recorded English use (1849) is in John Woodhouse Audubon's Western Journal: "We were hooted and shouted at as we passed through, and called 'Gringoes.'"

Old 02-19-2013, 02:25 PM

Thanks, that was helpful.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
I once heard a radio show that said that it derived from "griego"- Spanish for "Greek". When my parents and relatives have used the word "gringo", it was NEVER flattering. It's usually meant to portray the Anglos as "thieving, arrogant, racist, etc" They grew up in a time where Anglos did some heinous things to them. I understand their frustration.
I'm an old guy and I was raised to distrust Mexicans. When I was a kid there was much resentment towards Mexicans after what happened at Goliad and San Antonio in 1836, we were taught that in school. Texans have long memories.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:14 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
Quote:
I'm an old guy and I was raised to distrust Mexicans. When I was a kid there was much resentment towards Mexicans after what happened at Goliad and San Antonio in 1836, we were taught that in school. Texans have long memories.
No kidding. When were you born? the 1840s? I doubt that Anglos would have harbored such feelings if it were the irish, the french or germans..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi