Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2019, 08:10 PM

12 posts, read 21,632 times

Advertisements

The Alcove was at 4213 Timon. It has been painted red and has sat vacant for several years now since the plumbing has major issues that none of the owners that have bought and sold it again and again have been able to repair to get it up to code. The building is now a blighted eye sore and needs to be bulldozed as it's a target for transients who break in and sleep there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 12:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,347 times
So it seems like there were 4 picks locations

Ayers across from Butterkrust
Ayers and Lexington Blvd.
Gollihar and Staples
And where the U&I is.

Where was the A&W located at that was near Ayers and Lexington?

Old 07-28-2019, 06:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynflores1960 View Post
What was the name of the head shop on six points back in the 80s?
Dirty Dave's

Old 07-28-2019, 08:49 PM

51 posts, read 66,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myusername56 View Post
Dirty Dave's
Was that the name in the early 70's? The one I recall also sold posters, black lights and always had incense burning.

Old 07-29-2019, 01:08 AM

3,163 posts, read 1,724,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdIQ View Post
Was that the name in the early 70's? The one I recall also sold posters, black lights and always had incense burning.
Kaleidoscope

As a kid, I remember how thinking how “mod” it was.

Old 07-31-2019, 05:30 PM

2 posts, read 3,842 times
Default Padre Island

Wow! What a great source of historic information on this thread. I'm searching for any information on the Caffey Barracks that were constructed on Padre Island to serve as a base for the personnel that serviced and maintained the bombing and strafing ranges during and after WWII. These old barracks currently serve as the park headquarters building. Any information on the original dates of construction or photos that may exist pre-1970s. The oldest photo we currently have is around the time period when the park first opened.

Also seeking any information on:

The coastal defense structures constructed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers along Padre Island approx. every 7 miles or so according to Army archives. There are a few still intact, a few almost buried, and I'm sure many more undiscovered or completely buried.

The site known by locals as "Iron Hill" located around the 40 mile marker. We suspect this may be the location of the U.S. Coast Guard barracks for personnel manning the coastal defense structures. Oral histories of Louis Rawalt conducted by the original park naturalist Robert Whistler reveal that Louis moved into these barracks right after the war and he mentions that the personnel left everything there for him to use when he took up residence at the site. Pots, pans, bunks, sheets, pillows, etc. Louis mentions everyone was so happy the war was over that they all left ASAP and gave him everything.

Curry or Griffin Settlements circa 1800's to 1900's - we may have discovered the location of the Curry Settlement but need additional information.

William Murdock - Murdock's Landing - best account found so far in in J.B. (Red) Dunn's book - Perilous Trails of Texas.

Any information on Red Dunn's Museum on Shell Rd. (Up River Rd.) and any information about where the objects and artifacts from the museum ended up.

Any information on Major Swann that was supposedly the first resident of Padre Island and worked as the land agent and land steward for the Jones family. The old house he lived in is still standing and is located between the realty office and the Pelican Louunge on the east side of Park Rd. 22.

Also any interesting information on Padre Island history from the Dunn Ranch period or before. Anyone with information that would be interested in providing oral histories please feel free to contact me.

Thanks for any information anyone can provide.

Old 08-11-2019, 11:41 AM

3,163 posts, read 1,724,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger5 View Post
Wow! What a great source of historic information on this thread. I'm searching for any information on the Caffey Barracks that were constructed on Padre Island to serve as a base for the personnel that serviced and maintained the bombing and strafing ranges during and after WWII. These old barracks currently serve as the park headquarters building. Any information on the original dates of construction or photos that may exist pre-1970s. The oldest photo we currently have is around the time period when the park first opened.

Also seeking any information on:

The coastal defense structures constructed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers along Padre Island approx. every 7 miles or so according to Army archives. There are a few still intact, a few almost buried, and I'm sure many more undiscovered or completely buried.

The site known by locals as "Iron Hill" located around the 40 mile marker. We suspect this may be the location of the U.S. Coast Guard barracks for personnel manning the coastal defense structures. Oral histories of Louis Rawalt conducted by the original park naturalist Robert Whistler reveal that Louis moved into these barracks right after the war and he mentions that the personnel left everything there for him to use when he took up residence at the site. Pots, pans, bunks, sheets, pillows, etc. Louis mentions everyone was so happy the war was over that they all left ASAP and gave him everything.

Curry or Griffin Settlements circa 1800's to 1900's - we may have discovered the location of the Curry Settlement but need additional information.

William Murdock - Murdock's Landing - best account found so far in in J.B. (Red) Dunn's book - Perilous Trails of Texas.

Any information on Red Dunn's Museum on Shell Rd. (Up River Rd.) and any information about where the objects and artifacts from the museum ended up.

Any information on Major Swann that was supposedly the first resident of Padre Island and worked as the land agent and land steward for the Jones family. The old house he lived in is still standing and is located between the realty office and the Pelican Louunge on the east side of Park Rd. 22.

Also any interesting information on Padre Island history from the Dunn Ranch period or before. Anyone with information that would be interested in providing oral histories please feel free to contact me.

Thanks for any information anyone can provide.
Have you tried calling the Central Library (La Retama) Historical Dept? Maybe someone there can guide you to more information?

Old 08-25-2019, 11:47 AM

3 posts, read 5,100 times
Default Elysian Fields

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elgatto View Post
Does anyone remember a store called 'Elysian Fields'? I think it was a head shop. I seem to remember seeing Big Bambu for sale there in 1973 and asking my Mom what it was (didn't get an honest answer).
If you do remember the above store, can you tell me where in CC it was located at? This is driving me crazy! Thanks
Sorry you had to wait so long for an answer, but yes, there was a store called Elysian Fields in Corpus Christi, and yes, it was a headshop. Papers, posters, incense, etcetera. NO drugs allowed on premises. The owner was real conscious of being on the CCPD radar and did not want the expense or the aggravation of getting busted.

Nice guy. He’s still in business in Corpus Christi, but he sold Elysian Fields a long time ago. It was across from Del Mar College, across from Der Weinerscnitzel, and I don’t remember what was on the other corner.

Old 08-25-2019, 11:49 AM

3 posts, read 5,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myusername56 View Post
Dirty Dave's
Kaleidoscope

Old 08-26-2019, 09:30 AM

2 posts, read 3,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
Have you tried calling the Central Library (La Retama) Historical Dept? Maybe someone there can guide you to more information?
Yes, I have spent many hours up there in the local history room. Last trip I found the 1935 edition (1st) of John "Red" Dunn's book "Perilous Trails of Texas". Dunn was one of the individuals that responded to the Murdock trading post the day after the murder of Murdock and burning of the trading post located on Oso Bay. This was during the "Nuecestown Raids".

William Murdock is listed in the city register as a "wagoneer" for the King Ranch and he is mentioned in Noake's diaries as a "renegade loner that traveled up and down the Island with his wagon and team of mules assisting lost and weary travelers with food, water, and supplies". We may have discovered the original location of Murdocks Landing on the island yet there is very little archeological integrity currently present and more historical info is needed to put the pieces together.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi