Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2013, 05:35 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Why is your girlfriend's cat outside meowing at the neighbor's door?

I would be annoyed, too.

Keep your cat under your control just like you would a dog, please.
Are you serious???? A cat's meow annoys you? Kids, animals, what else can't you abide? I don't understand it. To me it seems quite sad. In fact, I'd open the door and pet the cat for a while since it came to visit. It's not healthy to wall yourself off from the world. Maybe living in a cave on top of a deserted mountaintop would suit you better.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:38 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I am 65 and a few years ago I thought about it for a total of about two seconds.

I am here on planet earth for my children and grandchildren should they ever need me and I am not about to tolerate someone, anyone, telling me how often my grandchildren can visit or how long they can stay.

Besides that kids are neat. Last Halloween the neighbor children, age 4 and 5, came over dressed up as tigers and a ballerina... so cute they almost made me cry. I couldn't miss that. Even watching the boys in the street with their skateboards it reminds me of me as I once was.

Oh, and two years ago we have an extremely heavy rainfall lasting about 30 minutes but it produced running rivers between two yards. Two sisters, maybe 12 and 14, are out playing in this rushing water (it was clean, nothing coming up from sewers or anything like that or I would have said something) and it was hilarious. I grabbed my camera and snapped half a dozen candid photos giving them to mom when she got home. Mom loved em, you could see the children had such huge smiles having so much fun.

And hide and go seek in the summer as it is getting dark. Sitting on the patio listening to the shrieks of laughter is like music to my ears because it reminds me of the summer of 1956.....

And finally we need the connection between the generations. Yeah, I am getting older but they need to see me for the person I am and not some fleeting guy hauling around a golf bag on a golf cart.

I'll stay in a neighborhood full of children.
Beautifully said.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:44 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
People like myself that live in those places have many things to do and we don't want kids in the way. It's obvious you don't have a clue about this subject or these types of communities.

They are probably complaining because they suspect the kid is living there and not visiting.

We always read these stories about grandchildren. People forget the grandparents moved into that type of community to be away from kids and now they think their family should be exempt.
Oh but I do, my mother lives in one of those god forsaken places and way to many people with nothing to do and all day to do it so they are in everybodys business....and no I don't bring kiddies to mom's house as my kiddies are all adults

Old 11-18-2013, 05:52 AM

Quote:
I am 65 and a few years ago I thought about it for a total of about two seconds.

I am here on planet earth for my children and grandchildren should they ever need me and I am not about to tolerate someone, anyone, telling me how often my grandchildren can visit or how long they can stay.

Besides that kids are neat. Last Halloween the neighbor children, age 4 and 5, came over dressed up as tigers and a ballerina... so cute they almost made me cry. I couldn't miss that. Even watching the boys in the street with their skateboards it reminds me of me as I once was.

Oh, and two years ago we have an extremely heavy rainfall lasting about 30 minutes but it produced running rivers between two yards. Two sisters, maybe 12 and 14, are out playing in this rushing water (it was clean, nothing coming up from sewers or anything like that or I would have said something) and it was hilarious. I grabbed my camera and snapped half a dozen candid photos giving them to mom when she got home. Mom loved em, you could see the children had such huge smiles having so much fun.

And hide and go seek in the summer as it is getting dark. Sitting on the patio listening to the shrieks of laughter is like music to my ears because it reminds me of the summer of 1956.....

And finally we need the connection between the generations. Yeah, I am getting older but they need to see me for the person I am and not some fleeting guy hauling around a golf bag on a golf cart.

I'm with you!! There is enough laws, rules, regulations in every day life. I certainly am not going to live somewhere with more rules, especially rules telling me when my grand kids can and can not visit...

Old 11-18-2013, 05:58 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,915 times
Quote:

Beautifully said and your descriptions brought a smile to my face. I definitely see your point. Although being around kids isn't for everyone, we're lucky enough to live in a country where we can choose where we want to live, which is a luxury many do not enjoy. Have a wonderful day!

Old 11-18-2013, 06:52 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
AND if I was that guy, not only would I have the 4 year old grand daughter over every single day, but I would invite all her friends too. And get one of those bouncy castle things. And a clown.
When you live in a community with HOA's, you are saying you like the rules that allow you to keep your neighborhood to your liking. Nobody forced him to move there. I could personally never live in a neighborhood with strict HOA's, but a friend loves her's that has them - she loves that her surroundings are maintained a certain way.

His car shouldn't have been vandalized, but if he wants his grandkids to visit, he needs to move. It's like those idiots that move in near an airport, then demand that planes stop landing because the noise bothers them.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:59 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Are you serious???? A cat's meow annoys you? Kids, animals, what else can't you abide? I don't understand it. To me it seems quite sad. In fact, I'd open the door and pet the cat for a while since it came to visit. It's not healthy to wall yourself off from the world. Maybe living in a cave on top of a deserted mountaintop would suit you better.
Yes, that would annoy me. I don't have cats (although I like them), and when that cat is making noise at your door, you can also bet they're using your yard as a toilet. I don't want your cat crapping in my yard, killing the birds that I love to watch, and harassing my dogs that are safely confined to my property.

Not wanting someone else's animal to "live" on my property doesn't make me a hermit. It makes me someone that expects my neighbors to be courteous to others. I love kids, animals and all sorts of other things. But that doesn't mean I want them intruding on me whenever they want.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:04 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
His car shouldn't have been vandalized, but if he wants his grandkids to visit, he needs to move.
Why should he move?

The housing development allows children to visit. As far as we know, he operated within those parameters. With the information given us, it's the neighbors that have the problem, not him.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:30 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,185,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
How about if that uncontrolled cat is outside on your deck bothering your dog?

Old 11-18-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
When you live in a community with HOA's, you are saying you like the rules that allow you to keep your neighborhood to your liking. Nobody forced him to move there. I could personally never live in a neighborhood with strict HOA's, but a friend loves her's that has them - she loves that her surroundings are maintained a certain way.

His car shouldn't have been vandalized, but if he wants his grandkids to visit, he needs to move. It's like those idiots that move in near an airport, then demand that planes stop landing because the noise bothers them.
I could never live in one..that said some people love them...anyone considering one just make sure you read that long list of what you can and can not do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.