Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 08:46 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,673,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Or do we recognize that there are crappy people everywhere, and sometimes, when they can't get satisfaction within the rules, they will break them and vandalize other people's expensive property?
Breaking a rule would be akin to leaving leaving the garbage can at the curb past the allotted time. The vandal did not break a rule; he broke the law.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:40 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,867,462 times
AND if I was that guy, not only would I have the 4 year old grand daughter over every single day, but I would invite all her friends too. And get one of those bouncy castle things. And a clown.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:43 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,200,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
AND if I was that guy, not only would I have the 4 year old grand daughter over every single day, but I would invite all her friends too. And get one of those bouncy castle things. And a clown.
You would incur the wrath of the HOA and ruin the lives of everyone around you who DIDN'T paint on your car, that's not drama you need in your life or even intelligent thinking. Thumbing your nose at everyone around you is never the answer. I don't approve of the vandalism, but what you suggest is almost worse.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:49 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
If you live in a neighborhood with an HOA, they will notify you if you have been observed breaking the rules. That's also in the CC&R's you receive when you buy (and should receive when you rent).

He is saying he was not in violation of the rules. If his understanding is incorrect, would you not expect the HOA to tell him so? The reason we currently only have his word on this, says the article, is that the HOA has not responded to the reporter. Now, if the HOA comes back and says that yes, he was sent warnings/violation letters, etc., the story changes. But if the kid rule is unlimited day visits, and 30 days total overnights in a year's time, and the HOA confirms that he hasn't violated that ... then what? Do we still crap all over him for maybe being "irresponsible" or "an exception"? Or do we recognize that there are crappy people everywhere, and sometimes, when they can't get satisfaction within the rules, they will break them and vandalize other people's expensive property?
Again, repeat, repeat, repeat. I am NOT condoning vandalism. My point was that we do not have both sides of the story. He is saying he is not in violation of the rules. Of course he is. Isn't he the one who went to the news media? In the interview I saw on CNN, he said only that he was angry which was to be expected of course but mentioned nothing about not knowing the rules. Rules were not mentioned.

We have only his word that he was not warned. And again, I would like to hear the HOA's side of the story regarding whether or not he was breaking any rules or was warned. I would like to see the vandals who painted his car punished in any case because that is was a criminal act. But I am not going to defend the grandfather as to whether or not he is in violation of the rules because I don't know if he is guilty any more than anyone else here.

Old 11-17-2013, 01:30 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,799,394 times
Quote:

I agree with you, and I posted something similar earlier. However I think he should only have her over for the maximum the rules allow, but yes have her bring friends. He needs to follow the rules, but doing this will anger the vandal, and this will likely flush him out when his anger causes him to act again and then he can be brought to justice. The newly installed security cameras will catch him in the act, and off to jail he will go. I bet the people or person who is against this child visiting his grandfather are really part of a very small group in that place. I bet most of those elderly people enjoy seeing their own grandchildren, and now this act is intended to intimidate not only this one man, but all the older people who want their grandchildren to visit. I truly hope this does not work, and I hope the majority of people who live there stick it too these mean spirited people. This act of vandalism and intimidation is far worse than any childish misbehavior that a 4 year old girl could do.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:54 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
Quote:

Old 11-17-2013, 07:07 AM

140 posts, read 288,162 times
This makes me sick to hear this, live in Boston area and retired, kids are awesome in our neighborhoods. If this is the way people in older Florida communities feel, that makes sense when Florida is referred to as God's waiting room.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:28 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,281,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
Breaking a rule would be akin to leaving leaving the garbage can at the curb past the allotted time. The vandal did not break a rule; he broke the law.
True. I should have made that clear.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:32 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,281,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Again, repeat, repeat, repeat. I am NOT condoning vandalism. My point was that we do not have both sides of the story. He is saying he is not in violation of the rules. Of course he is. Isn't he the one who went to the news media? In the interview I saw on CNN, he said only that he was angry which was to be expected of course but mentioned nothing about not knowing the rules. Rules were not mentioned.

We have only his word that he was not warned. And again, I would like to hear the HOA's side of the story regarding whether or not he was breaking any rules or was warned. I would like to see the vandals who painted his car punished in any case because that is was a criminal act. But I am not going to defend the grandfather as to whether or not he is in violation of the rules because I don't know if he is guilty any more than anyone else here.
I addressed your point, and I do recognize that you are not condoning vandalism. However, the HOA has thus far not responded, and so there is not yet any confirmation.

Just because he went to the news media, it does not mean that he is breaking the rules, you know. It means that he wants to embarrass the vandals, more than likely. I don't know where people get the idea that an accusation equals guilt as another poster stated, or that initiating a news story equals guilt. How about the woman who went to the news media after being charged $3,500 for posting a bad review? Since she went to the media, is she guilty of something?

Old 11-17-2013, 08:00 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,943,945 times
My girlfriend lives in an 55+ housing complex. Her neighbors are constantly complaining about something....the latest is that her cat meows at her neighbors door. When she kept her grandchildren for an overnight sleepover, another complaint.

There is no way I would want to live in such a bubble that only allowed a bunch of old farts and not the general population. There's something wrong when people want to wall themselves off from the rest of humanity, and then have a problem when confronted by anything/anyone not 55+.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events