Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2013, 03:34 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
My girlfriend lives in an 55+ housing complex. Her neighbors are constantly complaining about something....the latest is that her cat meows at her neighbors door. When she kept her grandchildren for an overnight sleepover, another complaint.

There is no way I would want to live in such a bubble that only allowed a bunch of old farts and not the general population. There's something wrong when people want to wall themselves off from the rest of humanity, and then have a problem when confronted by anything/anyone not 55+.
Why is your girlfriend's cat outside meowing at the neighbor's door?

I would be annoyed, too.

Keep your cat under your control just like you would a dog, please.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:38 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocaseco View Post
How is it obvious? Maybe you just like sounding more dramatic? I'm pretty smart and very well educated and from his single post I certainly wouldnt feel qualified to gauge his knowledge level on 55+ communities.
Did you even read the post? Too many people with nothing to do? Minding other peoples business? Those lines show they don't have a clue about 55+ communities.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:44 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
As you can see from my entire post, I was speculating why a 55 plus community might have rules against children of her daughters ages living with the owners.

Please enjoy as many late night pizza deliveries and loud parties as you desire, but I suggest that you don't invite any children or other relatives under age 55 to live with you (unless it is allowed at that specific over 55 community).
OHIOGIRL,Sure. We will join you. Or do you think we go to bed at 9, never get deliveries, never have parties, and never drink. Some of us even get high.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:47 PM

143 posts, read 246,452 times
Homeowners' associations and the like are downright scary.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:17 PM

429 posts, read 971,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
OMG I used to rent there.

AND ONE OF MY COMPLAINTS WAS TOO MANY KIDS LMAO LOLOLOLOL.

Seriously, you could not even use the pool for all the visiting kids.

Hilarious.
I went to visit my great uncle and great aunt for a week in a community like this. While i was there they loved teasing me telling me I wasnt allowed to go to the majority of the pools in their community because I wasnt old enough. I was 29 at the time lol. But they had a rule that the "adult pools" were 30yrs or older. There were a few pools that were "family friendly" but the majority were not. I thought it was funny and they got such a kick out of it, it was great.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:47 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
What do mean by children? I once applied to rent at a 55+. They said I "looked too young". I was 58. Then they didn't like the fact my "children" would be moving in with me. My 20 year old daughter was away at college most of the year. My 25 year old daughter worked a full time job. Children?

Who would want to live at a place like that? Walking around there all these people looked like MY Grandparents. No, I, nor my daughters, would never fit in there. I would not WANT to either.
I'm confused why you would apply at a 55+...what about "55+" is confusing you?

OF COURSE your college kids wouldn't be welcome there, nor would they like it. You did something silly and now complain about it, that's amusing to me.

I'd happily live in such a place, in fact I most likely will since my parents do and I'll inherit their house oneday. I could go there now since I just turned 55 but my college kid is still living with me and my mind is like a steel trap and thinks "55+...no, that won't work". Maybe when I'm 65 . It's a neat, quiet, small development, with a pool available. And I don't make a habit of hanging out with my neighbors no matter what age we all are so who cares?

Old 11-17-2013, 06:28 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
That's why I would never ever live in one of those places....too many people with nothing to do and all day to do it so they end up in everyone's business....sell and move to a normal neighborhood
I am 65 and a few years ago I thought about it for a total of about two seconds.

I am here on planet earth for my children and grandchildren should they ever need me and I am not about to tolerate someone, anyone, telling me how often my grandchildren can visit or how long they can stay.

Besides that kids are neat. Last Halloween the neighbor children, age 4 and 5, came over dressed up as tigers and a ballerina... so cute they almost made me cry. I couldn't miss that. Even watching the boys in the street with their skateboards it reminds me of me as I once was.

Oh, and two years ago we have an extremely heavy rainfall lasting about 30 minutes but it produced running rivers between two yards. Two sisters, maybe 12 and 14, are out playing in this rushing water (it was clean, nothing coming up from sewers or anything like that or I would have said something) and it was hilarious. I grabbed my camera and snapped half a dozen candid photos giving them to mom when she got home. Mom loved em, you could see the children had such huge smiles having so much fun.

And hide and go seek in the summer as it is getting dark. Sitting on the patio listening to the shrieks of laughter is like music to my ears because it reminds me of the summer of 1956.....

And finally we need the connection between the generations. Yeah, I am getting older but they need to see me for the person I am and not some fleeting guy hauling around a golf bag on a golf cart.

I'll stay in a neighborhood full of children.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:56 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
The ones that rule?

An HOA is a community who votes things in including the people who volunteer to be on the board. There is no RULE unless people fail to participate.

An HOA is not even specific to senior communities so all the pearl clutching is just what always goes with the territory every time an HOA thread happens LOL.

The ones that " rule" are NOT always the ones in the HOA as officers etc. but just the cranky bullies. I have decided I am over 60, and the LAST thing I want to obey now is more rules. I obey the law-- but not rules that separate me from my family--- that is insanity..keep your lonely prisons and enjoy them the best you can, as far as the fella with the car,,, get outta of there BUD...

Old 11-17-2013, 08:12 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post

...Besides that kids are neat. .
That's very sweet.

Did you guys extolling the virtues of strangers having to live among your perfect familes, ever consider those of us who have had our children die at a young age, or be cursed with an excruciating disease like autism or schizophrenia or some other condition requiring residential care? Have you notice the ENORMOUS thread on this site about parents estranged from their kids who also refuse them any visitation with their own grandkids?

Did you ever consider the parent who had twins die at birth or a week later, several miscarriages, or a toddler drown in a pool? My mother had all those things happen to her and I guarantee you that she never forgot for a day.

I can't wait to find out the perp of this car painting escapade was his daughter, or her BF or some such nonsense like a resident UNDER 55...while the HOA haters go about their lives projecting that 55+ communities are the devil.

Florida statutes allow for senior housing and that starts at 55. The HOA is allowed by law to set the bylaws. The fact that Woodfield allows 30 OVERNIGHTS and DAILY VISITS EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK for children- makes the argument that they are kid hating a specious one.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:29 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,095,439 times
This takes "Stay off my lawn" to a whole new level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events