Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 08:13 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times

Advertisements

Why doesn't he move out? Or why did he choose to live in such a place in the first place but now wants to break the same rules that probably lured him to live there in the first place -- rules are fine for others but not for himself.

I had a great aunt who lived in one of those places and one reason was the before there would be children running loose and often 2 and 3 year olds would be playing behind her car but also kids would vandalize the neighborhood.

To each his own but when you make a choice to live in a place with rules, then you should follow them.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:16 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,282,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Why doesn't he move out? Or why did he choose to live in such a place in the first place but now wants to break the same rules that probably lured him to live there in the first place -- rules are fine for others but not for himself.

I had a great aunt who lived in one of those places and one reason was the before there would be children running loose and often 2 and 3 year olds would be playing behind her car but also kids would vandalize the neighborhood.

To each his own but when you make a choice to live in a place with rules, then you should follow them.
Did you read the article? It states that he says he has not received any warnings or fines for rules violations.

In other words, he was following the rules.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Did you read the article? It states that he says he has not received any warnings or fines for rules violations.

In other words, he was following the rules.
It was reported that this grandfather lives in an age 55+ community of Vero Beach that has strict rules about minors staying overnight.
There is a 30 day per year limit on overnight stays. Daily visits, however, are unlimited.
Barat says several neighbors have written complaints to the Homeowners Association about his granddaughter.

Apparently there are rules that he must not be following --- the HOA isn't enforcing the rules and that probably is why some of the residents are taking the "law" into their own hands.

Again, why did he want to live there? Probably because other peoples' kids really annoy him but his granddaughter is special, he's special.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:24 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,671,921 times
I feel sorry for this guy. By all accounts he was following the rules and even made an effort to keep his granddaughter inside of his home the majority of the time so as not to offend his neighbors. I'd venture to guess that one of the people who filed a complaint with the HOA did the vandalism. These types of people always reveal themselves. On a side note, I hope he does install video cameras, continues to have his granddaughter visit, within the confines of the posted rules, and catches these idiots. This is just so sad.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:30 AM

Maybe both sides are wrong.

He chose to live in a 55+ community which pretty much implies the people there aren't going to adore kids.

And the neighbors didn't pick a strict enough HOA because the rules against kids being there were pretty lax and probably not enforced.

Or he thought 55+ community meant his granddaughter would be welcomed with open arms and the neighbors thought the rules were spelled out enough to mean there wouldn't be kids.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:30 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
A Florida grandfather believes his granddaughter was the reason someone vandalized his two cars in his elderly community.
The message scrawled on his car read, "No kids." Now, he's scared to have his granddaughter visit.
This is sad when a man cant feel safe with his visiting granddaughter.

It was reported that this grandfather lives in an age 55+ community of Vero Beach that has strict rules about minors staying overnight.
There is a 30 day per year limit on overnight stays. Daily visits, however, are unlimited.
Barat says several neighbors have written complaints to the Homeowners Association about his granddaughter.

‘No kids’ painted on grandfather's car in Vero Beach
There is obviously more to this than what is being reported in the article. If neighbors have submitted written, formal complaints to the Home Owners' Association then there must be something going on. Most likely, even though, according to the grandfather, the girl is "inside" all the time , my guess is that she plays in the back yard and that is what the neighbors' are unhappy about. Also, she may be playing in the street. Or perhaps the neighbors simply feel that they are taking advantage of the liberal visitation policy. My guess is that they just don't like Barot and they are using this as an excuse to harass him.

Maybe he needs to go and visit the kid at her house instead.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-16-2013, 08:42 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,282,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

Apparently there are rules that he must not be following --- the HOA isn't enforcing the rules and that probably is why some of the residents are taking the "law" into their own hands.

Again, why did he want to live there? Probably because other peoples' kids really annoy him but his granddaughter is special, he's special.
Complaints are not violations. If the HOA has not assessed him with fines or warnings, then the complaints may be specious. You can complain about anything you like; it doesn't make your complaint valid. So if the neighbors complain that the kid is there every day, so what? That is operating within the rules.

Why did he want to live there? Why do you care, if he is following the rules? Maybe he liked the location, the amenities, the floor plan, the price ... but I'm willing to bet he's not terribly fond of the neighbors, since their emotional age seems to be stuck in the teens.

None of it justifies vandalizing property.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:48 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
My point is that spray painting "no kids" in a community that clearly allows kids 365 (if only 24/7 for 30 days) makes no sense. If I were trying to get away from kids, I would go to a zero tolerance type place. Not no kids 4000 hours a year (167 days).
I took your meaning, and agree with you.

I am seeing your "kid friendly" in a more ruthless light. Given the level of restrictions on kids, it is up to kid-haters and kid-lovers to both live within that level of tolerance. If you want your grandkids with you more often, you don't live there; if you can't stand kids period, you don't live there.

Old 11-16-2013, 12:00 PM

35,690 posts, read 21,045,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
The bylaws are set by the community and you get them before buying there. The simple solution is not to move to one - not to take away the rights of the people who share "common standards".

The reason they're "very nice" is BECAUSE of the residents and DESPITE the ones that disagree - usually renters not owners.
Yes "common standards". the death of the American family- "despite"... yes very good word to explain who they are-- (NOT all)- but the one's that RULE. I have seen some very mean things and I expected better at that age. Wont change your thinking -just not ever going to live anywhere near that.. I am a family person/ and kids, grands, an great grands find themselves in a pickle my DOORS always will be open... because I LOVE them and i will always be MOM.One of my GREATEST accomplishments has been raising my family- and having an open door policy, my 17 yr old grands calls me at 3 am.. with a problem-- its beautiful--- better than him hanging himself because NOBODY CARES. No way I will ever give that up for some nasty neighbors.

Old 11-16-2013, 12:13 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
What do mean by children? I once applied to rent at a 55+. They said I "looked too young". I was 58. Then they didn't like the fact my "children" would be moving in with me. My 20 year old daughter was away at college most of the year. My 25 year old daughter worked a full time job. Children?

Who would want to live at a place like that? Walking around there all these people looked like MY Grandparents. No, I, nor my daughters, would never fit in there. I would not WANT to either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Of course, no one should be vandalizing cars but "30 nights" to a grandparent may not really be "30 nights." The next door neighbor of my in laws claimed that their 30/35 year daughter and her three children only stayed at the parents/grandparents condo during the day & evening but actually slept at her boyfriend's house every night so that the 30 night rule didn't apply to them. Hmmm, funny how the daughter's car never left the driveway at night.
The rules of my in-law's 55 plus community stated that everyone who lived there must be 55 plus. Thus a 55 year old parent couldn't live there with their child who was not 55 years old. In the above situation the association was just as upset with the 30 or 35 year old daughter living there as with her three younger children.

Your 20 and 25 year old children were not 55 so they didn't qualify to live there. Some places do only have rules about non-adults (under 18) but many places do not distinguish between a 5 year old, a 20 year old or 40 year old child living in a 55 plus community.

BTW It is likely that a 20 year old or a 25 year old may be having more late night guests, loud parties, drive faster, late night pizza deliveries, etc than most 55 plus senior citizens. I'm NOT saying that your adult children would do that but I suspect that in general most early 20 year olds would have a much different social life that most senior citizens.

Last edited by germaine2626; 11-16-2013 at 12:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events